Skip to content

Advice on BGEE vs. Tutu/Trilogy for a guy returning to the series after long hiatus

2»

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2014

Can someone summarize the differences in graphics between EE and original? (I am not referring to the ability to zoom--I don't consider this much of a perk.) The screenshots I've seen don't make BGEE look much different from what I remember BG+Tutu looking like, but maybe my memory is off.

I think a couple of the games sprites have been changed and kits get unique colours if you want them. They included some changes from 1PP that changes the look of some items. There are also a few spell effects like Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill that were improved upon (disintegrate also looks better though you can't actually get it in BGEE). In terms of most individual sprites and the area backgrounds there isn't much difference.

So to use Stinking Cloud as an example (obviously the resolutions are different in these pictures)

Bg1

BG2 (apparently this is from a pre-release screenshot of BG2 but as far as I recall this is what it looks like in the original bg2).

BGEE/BG2EE

Post edited by elminster on
    jackjacklolien
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited April 2014
    Don't forget the movies, and the cut scenes. The developers did quite a great job with them in the EE1 imho.
    elminsterjackjackBlackraven
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    lolien said:

Don't forget the movies, and the cut scenes. The developers did quite a great job with them in the EE1 imho.

1,000 agrees - they are fantastic! I was disappointed to see they did not carry over to BG2EE.
    lolien
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited April 2014
    @elminster‌
    elminster said:

You also get stuff like the feature that lets your tab key show you which chests/containers are locked

This can also be done in the original games (via Tutu or BGT), so nothing new here.

As for the Yeslick bug, as you say, it was also in the original games. WAS is the operative word, as it is not there anymore :)

It may still be present in BG:EE, however, as the bug has not been moved in the Fixed section (but I'm not sure as I didn't check myself).

Only minor bugs remain in the modded original games, the kind of bugs you can only find by looking at the files with NearInfinity as they do not really affect gameplay (otherwise they would have been found already in the last 15 years). The EE instead adds a lots of new bugs, like NPCs going through walls or walking on water, quests broken and such, so I would not say that bugwise BG1:EE is in better shape than BG1 (again modded of course).

The screenshots you posted for BG1/BG2 are really ancient. This is a more recent one of BG1Tutu with the Widescreen and Bigger Text mods (edit: and with 1PP):

Edit2: This is a screenshot of BG2 with Widescreen, Bigger Text and 1PP mods:
    Post edited by Erg on
    CrevsDaakBlackraven
    edited April 2014
    lolien said:

I really dislike the new movies and I'm not the only one. In fact, there is even a mod for BG1:EE that restores the old movies.

Edit: Besides, BG1:EE is still completely missing some of the best movies, like the one with the cow taken by a Wyvern.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited April 2014
    They are the same, but the EE has shadow renderers (that make Intel chipsets lag, duh) and you can zoom out for a better look.
    I recommend getting BG:EE and then about BG2:EE... I like vanilla BG2 because of it's UI, but then they are the same once you install the G3 Fixpack, some mods don't work in the EE but the EEs have an amazing number of externalized features (they beat TobEx by far), that also work in Mac, forgot one of the best points!
    elminsterjackjackBlackravenAstroBryGuy
  • DrakeEBDrakeEB Member Posts: 20
    I tried playing BG1EE, even with the few mods that are updated for it like SCS, Tweaks, ect but it just feels so empty....
    One example is when i went to the area were the bandit caravan has the female bandit leader and some bandits guarding it, there was nothing there....
    The light house area without Lure of the Sirine's Call mod....
    Beregost feels like a ghost town.
    Not having the BGSpawn mod to make interesting and lots of random encounters.
    Level 1 NPCS, Secret of Bone Hill, Full Plate and Packing Steel....I can go on and on.

A standard install using BWS adds alot to the game. I use a Tactical install myself, but i've been playing this game since it first came out so it can be a little mod overkill.

I dunno, i want to play the EE's versions. They just FEEL so much better....But without more updated mods or newer ones they're just to empty for a veteran BG player.

It's a good thing to see modders like CoM_Solaufein say he will only work on EE mods...Hopefully more old school modders will do the same.
    ErgCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    That's a BG2 Stinking Cloud in BGtutu.
    jackjackErgelminster
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I prefer the experience of BG:EE; the UI, the graphics and new characters. That said, it isn't a huge upgrade and for some the cost might not be worth it. The difference between BG: EE and BGT isn't a vast one and with so many more mods available for the original, the backlash against them is understandable (even if so many fans acted like spoilt children over it).

If you don't mind the cost and a few bugs here and there, then I strongly recommend the enhanced edition.
    demented said:

If you don't mind the cost and a few bugs here and there, and especially the lack of mods, then I strongly recommend the enhanced edition.

@demented‌

Fixed that for you :p
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    Erg said:

demented said:

If you don't mind the cost and a few bugs here and there, and especially the lack of mods, then I strongly recommend the enhanced edition.

@demented‌

Fixed that for you :p
    Every single word that I type is perfect. "Fix" another one of my posts and I will end you.
    ErgCrevsDaakCurmudgeon
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited April 2014
    In BG2 they change the colours for spell inmunity and the cloack of mirroring or whatever is called (the one that makes you inmune to spell damage). Only for that, it is worth every penny. The old one really hurt in the eyes