Skip to content

Help me get rid of Jaheira in an RP-justified way

I am currently doing my first-ever playthrough of the two enhanced editions. In BG:EE, I had both Jaheira and Khalid in my party. Not because I particularly wanted to; it just so happened that I picked them up at the Friendly Arm and before I knew it, we had shared way too much time adventuring together. When this happens, I just cannot bring myself to giving an NPC the boot. I just can't. My charname is incredibly prone to guilt, and his sensitive little bhaalsoul just can't handle the task of firing a companion after a bond has been forged. So I let them stay until the very end.

The problem persisted into BG2:EE. I really did not want to take Jaheira. Nothing against her, personally. She is a well-written character and a versatile combatant. It is just that I've had her in my party in almost every playthrough to date and was eager to try some new NPC's. Like Anomen. The poor boy has never had the pleasure of knowing the company of Charname, a wrong I was determined to redeem this time around. Still, there was the issue of getting rid of Jaheira. From a roleplaying standpoint, I just could not justify firing her for no reason, not after everything that went down on the Sword Coast. There was also the emotional aspect. She had just lost her husband to torture and Charname was her sole remaining comfort. To drop her would be to break her spirit, and there was no way my Charname could handle that. Not after a dialogue screen like this:

Talk about a guilt trip!

So, dear forumites, I am turning to your sage advice in my plight. Help me come up with an acceptable stroy/plot of how to make her go away or *ehm* disappear in a way that is neither immersion breaking or too heart wrenching. Pretty please!

Comments

• badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    Ctrl+y
    "whoops......."
    Raistlin82
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Go tackle Kangaxx. Imprisonment and then freedom may break her romance, it was a common bug in vanilla BG I am not sure if it is fixed now. Petrification+stone to flesh may result the same. When her romance is broken, her leaving dialogue will not be so melodramatic, I think.

Or have Neera cast wild surges near Harper's Hold in Docks. Sooner or later a damaging effect will hit the Harpers and if any neutral Harper goes hostile there, Jaheira will turn on you too. So you will need to kill her, OR just hold/make uncouncious/polymorph/maze her and flee. Your char can blame everything on Neera and then you can romance her.

Or have either Aerie or Viconia romance your charname, and when they catfight over you, let Jaheira know that you are just friends, and she will say 'ofcourse we are friends, oh whatever..' and act all cool about it and then you can kick her later and she will not cry much.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    An cursed scroll of petrification does the trick. Leave it unidentified and you got your RP reason too.

If you think you'll pick her up again, do it in an inn. Change her back, and when she asks how long she was asleep just say she was really really tired. :-)
    jackjacklunar
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    ...Poor Jaheira, but that's sort of hilarious. XD

(Probably should be bug reported, though.)
    Aristillius
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Was going to suggest that her plot line is rife with opportunity to get rid of her from an RP perspective. But looks like problem solved.

Breaking up is sometimes hard to do. But if you rip the bandaid off quick enough, it doesn't hurt as much. Good luck with your playthrough. Hope you don't regret Anomen though.
    Montresor_SP
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Twani said:

(Probably should be bug reported, though.)

I was thinking the same thing - isn't Ployer's curse supposed to allow about a week before it kills her?

jackjackMontresor_SPAristillius
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Otherwise, why not keep both Jaheira and Anomen? You get two healers and two fighters (though Anomen doesn't gain levels as a fighter; but he can reach grandmastery in any blunt weapon). That should cover your need for divine magic.

Granted, they are both annoying as hell, but also versatile and useful companions.
    jackjackFinaLfront
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    edited April 2014

Otherwise, why not keep both Jaheira and Anomen? You get two healers and two fighters (though Anomen doesn't gain levels as a fighter; but he can reach grandmastery in any blunt weapon). That should cover your need for divine magic.

Granted, they are both annoying as hell, but also versatile and useful companions.

I thought about this, but I simply did not have the room. Besides I am already romancing Aerie so my divine caster needs are fulfilled. Plus I wanted to take Rasaad since I had him in BG:EE (though he seems a little monosyllabic in BG2:EE) and Keldorn, because he is my favorite NPC and plays an important role as Charname's mentor in my head canon. Yoshimo serves as a placeholder for Imoen (though Charname doesn't know it yet).

Hope you don't regret Anomen though.

I am aware of Anomen's less-than-popular status among the BG community, and frankly, there is a reason why I have never had him in my party before. I am, however, very curious about his subplot and possible banter with Keldorn, and I do think he fits in well with my lawful/neutral good ensemble. Lastly, I could not bear the thought of having no one to wield the Crom Faeyr when I eventually get my hands on it (Aerie is just out of the question!)
    Montresor_SP
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249

(though Anomen doesn't gain levels as a fighter; but he can reach grandmastery in any blunt weapon).

Wait, is this true?? My most recent run was with Anomen and I never realised this...

• NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Generally I play a imagination conversation in my head where her and CHARNAME have an argument since she is true neutral and I'm a goody goody gum drops sparklemire. Disagreeing with my leadership, distraught over Khalid's death (Or, if BG1, simply upset at my leadership and possibly how I waste time instead of heading to the mines), She leaves.

Alternatively, if BG2, she was never there at alllll

Woooeeeoooo
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited May 2014
    dustbubsy said:

(though Anomen doesn't gain levels as a fighter; but he can reach grandmastery in any blunt weapon).

Wait, is this true?? My most recent run was with Anomen and I never realised this...

Indeed it is true - anytime a PC or NPC duals out of the fighter class, kitted or otherwise, they retain the ability to progress beyond mere specialization into mastery and beyond. Not sure if it's a bug, but for now, at least, them's the breaks.
    Yet another reason Fighter -> x duals invariably turn out terrifyingly OP. Anomen theoretically offsets this with his mechanically worthless spear pips, but that's an RP decision first and foremost, and in the end, it's not as though he grows into anything other than monstrously powerful.
    Post edited by jackjack on
    elminsterdustbubsy
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    Take her to the druid grove and poison it, then you get the satisfaction of killing her and Faladorn. Or try to put up a dog with Surly.
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2014
    Well, you could edit her out of your party after the Harper quest and RP it as her wanting to check on other Harper cells to make sure they weren't corrupt as well and/or report the corruption to main base in Berdusk, though admittedly this would be more believable once Irenicus is killed. It's what I was going to do to open up a party slot in TOB.

Another opportunity would be to get your reputation low-but-not-too-low, so that when the Harpers attack you, Jaheira stays neutral in the conflict and then leaves afterwards.

Edit: Or you could let her die of the curse, I suppose. XD
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    What I once did to get away from Jaheira and Minsc in BG2
    1)Make a backup instalation.
    2) Open Near infinity
    3) Erase them from Irenicus dungeon.
    4) They were never there, let's get out of here Imoen.
    5) Realize that Anomen is a jerk and Keldron can't do all the fighting stuff on his own.
    6) Restart.
    Montresor_SPBallad
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    If you have either Minsc and/or Brage's sword she could be a casualty of a berserker rage gone bad. Of course she'd have to get chunked, else RP-wise you could res her.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Yeah, getting rid of Jaheira is always a point of much difficulty for me. One way to accomplish it however is simply to remove her from your party, and rationalise to yourself from an RP perspective that you realise that she has forsaken and lost much for the sake of helping you in your quest: because you care about her, you do not which to see her life be caught up in the stream of your own. This seems to be additionally appropriate because her non-romance ending in ToB does suggest that the strong, half-elven druid does lost her sense of self following the events of the saga.

I personally opt for this solution, as trippy solutions such as 'accidental' Imprisonment or Petrification are dubious at best (can't think of a solution for either of those things, really?) and editing files leaves a lot to be desire in terms of narrative continuity.
    jackjack
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    @lemernis actually you dont need to rezz jaheira RP wise. You can always play it that you respect her druidic beliefs.

Getting her killed is not that difficult at low levels. Just attack a couple of ogres head on
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    She always acts the leader and pisses you off. Treats you as a dumb child, instead of a powerful adult. Her husband just recently died, and she fancies making out with you! She always kept it secret from you that she and Gorion belonged to the Harpers, and their past. Especially since this concerned you directly, this is simply unforgivable, even if she reveals it all slowly, later.

Have her attack a strong enemy, that usually smashes someone to tiny bits from melee attacks.