Skip to content

Interesting discovery - It's not possible to get the STR and WIS tomes from Catacombs...

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
... if you don't have a thief (pick locks) or a mage (a knock spell) or a warrior (STR enhancing potions) and you can't raise your STR more than 21.

Recently on my solo totemic run I've come across the containers in the Candlekeep Catacombs that contain tomes giving +1 to STR and +1 to WIS. My charname has only 13 STR, so no bashing for him. He's a druid, so no thieving skills or a knock spell.

With Gaulents of the Ogre Power his STR becomes 18/00 but it's still not enough to open the containers. How shoud I overcome this, I thought... Idea! With Draw Upon Holy Magic special ability his STR becomes 21. Ohh, I thought, this should be enough... Nope, it seems 21 STR is still not enough to open the containes as shown by the following screenshots (the situation with another container is the same). It's interesting to note that 21 STR is enough to open OTHER containers on this level (those that have potions and so on) but in terms of the STR and WIS tomes ... I can't get them.

Another argument that a solo druid run is a little bit harder than some other variants.
CrevsDaakjackjackBlackravenO_Brucelolien

Comments

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Of course, at that point you might as well just console in the books themselves...
    Brudemeaglothlolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I found this out the hard way when I soloed a sorcerer. I hadn't gotten to knock yet. I think got it right after leaving.
    jackjack
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    That is both insightful and interesting info, but fortunately, I always play full party, thief included :)
    JuliusBorisovjackjacklolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    A small update:

It turns out that when you're soloing as a wizard slayer, you can't get those tomes even knowing about the red potion sold by the merchant at the carnival.

The reason is ... a wizard slayer CAN'T use that potion. Another evidence that a WS is rather ... hmm.. shall I say - a complicated character.

@karnor00‌

No console - only hardcore!:)
    jackjackelminsterlolien