Skip to content

Remind me what the Succubus in Durlag's Tower does!

You know her. Flirts with you if you're male, begs you to help a fellow vixen if you're female. Tries to get you to trick that uncooperative thief to stay in the tower in her place. Sort of a bitch, come to think of it, but she is chaotic evil.

I'm writing a dialog for a mod about her, though, and for the life of me, I can't remember what she does and I'm feeling too lazy to look in her files (I don't expect you to look in her files, either, so no worries about that).

Just, does anyone remember from memory what she does? Does she have any special abilities, any spells she casts, anything to make her stand out from any other monster in the game?

Trying to remember myself, all I can come up with was I believe she could cast invisibility repeatedly and perhaps a limited version of teleportation without error to run around the level. But I could be mistaken about even that, because I seem to remember surrounding her when she went invisible and her coming visible just to be clobbered by my characters. Anyone?

I'd appreciate it- thanks.

Comments

• DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    She has invisibility, dimension door (teleport) and charm.
    elminsterjackjackTwani
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Don't forget her 'energy drain'. All it does is temporarily apply a penalty to uhh strength and dexterity I think. If you are modding her you could make it actually drain levels though. I would have liked to see that.

A succubus is a demon which is why she is "sort of a bitch" by the way.
    Blackravenjackjackelminster
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I couldn't resist! I looked in the files! She has 5 spells that she casts.

spwi927.spl Ethereal- invisibility for 4000 seconds

spwi928.spl Energy Drain- applies a 2 point penalty to dexterity and constitution, a 2 point penalty to all saves, and a 10 point penalty to maximum hp, all effects for 300 seconds, save vs. spell at -4 penalty to avoid all effects.

spwi929.spl and spwi930.spl Charm Person- judging by her script one of these is called "Charm Male" and the other is called "Charm Female" not sure which is which since they both seem identical to my eyes (however some of the effects of spells are still internalized and not viewable with NI) and they may in fact be identical. Regardless they charm a creature for 120 seconds, save vs spell at a -4 penalty to avoid.

spwi931.spl Teleport Without Error- Fancy name for a simple dimension door spell.
    BlackravenjackjackTwanielminster
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Thank you both. :)

Teleport Without Error is the fancy name fiends like to use for their teleportation powers. Almost all of them should have it, if the trapped succubus does, as it hasn't been stolen by the yugoloths yet if she can use it. It's interesting that Arc doesn't, actually; I'm not sure if it would make the battle with him anymore interesting, but ruleswise, he should be able to do it.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    edited May 2014
    Do you mean Aec'Letec? And what do you mean by the yugoloths, is there some backstory here that I'm missing? (I know what yugoloths are, I mean as pertaining to her)
    Tressetjackjack
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Yes, Aec'Lartec. Not Arc.

The yugoloths stole every Fiends Teleportation Without Error during AD&D (it was during a Planescape adventure module, but it affected all fiends... how exactly they were able to do this is just sort of given vague answers). The only way a Baatezu/Tanar'ri could get it back was by making a pact with the Yugoloths for their restored power. The succubus imprisoned in the tower obviously couldn't be making deals with the Yugoloths (because she's imprisoned, and I seriously doubt a yugoloth made it's way to the Tower just to offer her a deal), so I assume that means all fiends (of a certain skill level) should have teleportation without error. Aec'Letec and the monsters Neera will randomly gate in, in particular.

But I'm not about to make a mod just to add dimension door powers to all the fiends in the game, because that would be silly. Maybe some other mod that affects fiends and attempts to make them closer to P&P already does it: I can't quite remember what fiends do in certain mods.