Skip to content

The Thieves of the Coast, an SCS No/Minimal Reload playthrough with a band of rogues

2»

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    MacHurto said:

Love the mess montaron made :-D. Is that mod related?

Yep, must be BG1 NPCs... :D

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I FINALLY got done reading through. (Been a busy weekend...) This is, as your's alway are, a great play-through. I hope Lenno's larcenous ways bring him nothing but success!
    Blackraven
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Awesome ! The timer for Kivan depends on the chapter you took him, something like 20 days in chapter 1 to 7 days in chapter 3 IIRC.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
    edited May 2014
    @MacHurto, @Gotural, thanks! Yes it's fun playing a supernaive charname. Also works as an extra impetus to refrain from metagaming, although his wiser companions influence him.
    As to Kivan0s timer, that's interesting. I think I picked him up in Chapter 3 (i.e. after having spoken to Berrun Ghastkill) :( Means I have to rush or roleplay and lose him...
    All I know is that it's a bit too short for my liking. I would honestly use the console to set it back some, were I ever to take him. He just leaves too quickly.
    Blackraven
  • AurorusAurorus Member Posts: 201

Does anyone who made it all the way here know how long I can wait with taking on Tazok and the Bandit Camp before Kivan leaves?

You do not have very long: 10 days maybe at most. I found this out the hard way in my play-through with Ellsbeth. You have no more than 7 days after he gives his first warning. Also, his quest is not considered completed (in a vanilla or SCS-only setup) until you speak with the Lieutenant at the Jovial Juggler, after defeating the bandits, and having 0 scalps in your possession.

Blackraven
    You haven't completed Nashkel, right? Then you should only be in chapter two.
    Blackraven
    @Elrandir, hmm I thought Chapter 3 was triggered when you speak with Berrun and get the first Bhaalspawn dream, but maybe you're right. You're saying it's something like this:

1: Candlekeep
    2: Gorion's Death - Nashkel Mines cleared
    3: Nashkel Mines cleared - Bandits cleared
    4: Bandits cleared - Daveorn killed
    5: Davaeorn killed - Candlekeep for Duke Eltan
    6: Candlekeep for Eltan - Endgame
    7: Endgame
    Candlekeep isn't one of the chapters. It's:

Prologue: Candlekeep
    1. Gorion's death - speaking with Ghastkill
    2. Speaking with Ghastkill - Nashkel mines cleared.
    ect. ect.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
    @Elrandir, thanks buddy! (I couldnt't check I was at work.)
    Elrandir
    No prob! Happy to help. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, chapter two triggers just by entering Nashkel. I rarely talk to Ghastkill right off the bat, but the chapter changes and the dream can be triggered.
    BlackravenCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited May 2014
    Elrandir said:

Candlekeep isn't one of the chapters. It's:

Prologue: Candlekeep
    1. Gorion's death - speaking with Ghastkill
    2. Speaking with Ghastkill - Nashkel mines cleared.
    ect. ect.

1 - Gorion's death to reaching Nashkel.
    2 - Reaching Nashkel to Picking the Letters form Mulahey's body.
    edit; duh i did not read Elrandir's second post about this :/
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • AurorusAurorus Member Posts: 201
    CrevsDaak said:

2 - Reaching Nashkel to Picking the Letters form Mulahey's body.
    edit; duh i did not read Elrandir's second post about this :/

Yeah... that´s correct. Picking up the letters from Mulahey advances the chapter. You do not have to meet with Ghastkill a second time to advance the plot. All you receive from Ghastkill is 900 gold, +1 reputation, and I believe 1000 xp.

Similarly picking up the letters from the chest in the bandit camp advances the chapter as well. So you never need to sell all the bandit scalps and lose the Flaming Fist lieutenant in the Juggler. You can actually sell her Wyvern heads from Cloakwood later for 1000 gp each. But this does not complete Kivan´s quest. You still have to sell all the bandit scalps and then speak with the Lieutenant again at the Jovial Jugglar to complete Kivan´s quest.

BlackravenCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    Too bad you can't sell wyvern heads to Vai in EE. =\ It'd be so nice to get 1k for them. Thalantyr only gives... 250? I think that's how much he gives. But I digress. XD
    JuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited May 2014
    @Blackraven, wow, what a great run. You must really enjoy writing. It looks like you're spending a lot of time and hard work on your chapters.

Do you have "happy patch - npc's never leave" from Tweaks? I assume that's how you're keeping Kivan in a party with a reputation of four. That same component of Tweaks may affect Kivan's timer, and the NPC Project might also affect it. It seems like you should be getting attacked by the Flaming Fist, too, unless that's also modded. Or does that only happen at reputation three?

I notice some aesthetic enhancements in your screen shots, like Kivan's black hair. I found that shade of black once in Keeper and put in on Kivan. Did you also Keeper it, or do you have an aesthetics mod? The armor looks really sharp - are you using Erephine's 1PP by any chance?

It looks like Kivan isn't wearing a helmet when he should be. Is that a choice to live dangerously, or do you have helmet animations turned off?

EDIT: I found your WEIDU log posted in the third and fourth posts that answered most of my questions. I still didn't see under Tweaks or anywhere else where you had reputation reactions adjusted, though. It's probably in there and I'm just not spotting it.
    BlackravenCrevsDaaklolienJuliusBorisov
    @BelgarathMTH, thanks for taking your time again. Yes, I do enjoy the writing. It's time-comsuming but for the love I have for this game I want to do at least one journalled playthrough of the entire trilogy. I've made the mistake before to combine extensive journalling with no-reload, but for this run I explicitly opted for minimal reload. So far I haven't reloaded, although current events (to be reported in my next installment had me consider a reload). I like the 'band of rogues' idea, and charname's personality. For fun gameplay and for power I might have preferred a Cleric/Thief, especially at later levels, but that's water under the bridge...
    As to your emaining question, I don't have the 'Happy Patch' or any other reputation reaction adjusting mod component. My party's reputation is 4. According to this link good-aligned party members only leave at reputation 1-2. If that's incorrect, then maybe it has to do with the fact that my reputation was already 4 when Kivan joined? He never saw the party's reputation decrease.

I removed the helmet animations, but I understand your confusion: Viconia's Helmet of Defense is visible for some reason.

Btw I also read part of your Nordic Warriors playthrough. Highly enjoyable. I see you also placed a strong emphasis on RP aspects, intra-party relationships, etc. Branwen says she misses the coasts of her homeland and Todek, eager to plese, immediately has the party travel to the Sword Coast. Stuff like that. Highly entertaining.
    CrevsDaakBelgarathMTHlolienJuliusBorisov
    @Elrandir, no clue about the situation in Nashkel. Lenno & company had done nothing wrong there, not even stolen anything. Reputation was low (4), but afaik that should only cause the appearance of Flaming Fist or bounty hunters, not the hostility of an entire town (inlcluding the shopkeeper and Berrun Ghastkill). All in all, Luckyhand has been pretty unlucky, but that's one of the things I liked about this run.

Thanks for your words. I think I will continue this run in the same spontaneous way, after the disappointment has somewhat subsided... :) It makes no sense to expect myself to complete a no-reload run if I don't metagame at all. (The only metagamey thing I did this time was to place Montaron behind Tarnesh.) I might start another no-reload run with a new character, to keep the no-reloader in me busy.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited May 2014
    Sorry for your loss, @Blackraven. I hope you will consider continuing as a minimal reload at some point.

Confusion about what's installed and what's not is one reason why I like to keep my mods to a minimum, especially the ones that change gameplay significantly. Even with reviewing the Weidu log, you can't always remember what mod does what and where it does it, so, when I do play with a heavily modded setup, I always proceed with extreme caution and make no assumptions about what I'll find in different areas.

Even uninstalling a mod doesn't necessarily get rid of everything that mod changed when it was first installed. I learned that the hard way with SCS and NPC Project. I once got a setup so mucked up installing and uninstalling and reinstalling those two, I had no choice but to trash the whole setup and start over with a clean install, which is a very inconvenient and tedious process.
    BlackravenlolienJuliusBorisov
    Thanks @BelgarathMTH‌

I checked my WEIDU-log, and found the answer:
    ~SETUP-BGTTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #902 // Random activated traps in the pirate cave -> Game-time randomisation: 11 (5 Feb 12)

I must have never used that component before, or maybe it got overwritten by something else in previous installs. I will continue this playthrough as a minimal-reload run with no metagaming and RP-based stroytelling, because I like it. The fact that I don't know exactly what to expect from all my mods goes well with this approach. I agree with you though, that for no-reload this is unwise. That much has become clear already :)

@Aurorus, thanks for sharing. A painful and frustrating way to see your charname fall, as you say right after you tackled the truly challenging aspects of that map. Very sorry about that, but least you admirably did what you could. My frustration was that I was too busy looking for a place to HiS to even notice my potion of invisibility that would have allowed me to heal, detect traps, even return to the party. Oh well, nothing that can be done now.
    MacHurtoJuliusBorisov
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    edited May 2014
    I'm sorry about your loss !

Have you ever played a PnP game like Warhammer or WH40K ? In these games, your character have something called "Fate Points" which act like a reload (your character takes a hit and die, but instead you burn a Fate Point and he survives).
    You have something like 2 or at most 3 of them and you can't earn them except by doing truly incredible things.

Maybe you could do something of the sort for Lenno, allowing yourself 2-3 reloads over the course of the saga (Defeating Sarevok / Irenicus could make you gain one Fate Point I think).

That way it could be a playthrough between the no-reload and the minimal reload !
    Post edited by Gotural on
    BlackravenElrandirFredjo
    Gotural, never heard of fate points. Thanks, I like the idea. I'm going to use it, and if I die too often I'll go back to minimal reload. :D
    On the one hand I want to try my hand at a complete, heavily roleplayed trilogy playthrough, and on the other hand I'm addicted to the no-reload challenge, so I want my character and the NPCs to die as little as possible. I think your suggstion could offer be a very nice way to continue to combine great carefulness with immersive and non- metagemed roleplaying. Thanks agian!
    CrevsDaakGoturalJuliusBorisov