Skip to content

Advice for Socially Conservative BG2:EE Playthrough?

13»

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Am I missing something? Drizzt is black and the parallels between his ordeals on the surface and real life issues in regards to race relations were so unsubtle my 9 year old self was able to see it (and thought it was the most brilliant and creative thing ever at the time, lol)
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    edited May 2014

Am I missing something? Drizzt is black and the parallels between his ordeals on the surface and real life issues in regards to race relations were so unsubtle my 9 year old self was able to see it (and thought it was the most brilliant and creative thing ever at the time, lol)

Which provides incredibly unfortunate implications regarding the fact that over 90% of the drow race is evil - since Drizzt=Drow=Black=Evil.
    So they are indirectly implying that blacks are evil, which honestly does nothing to help their (WotC's) already strained image.
    CrevsDaak
    I'd imagine that because the Forgotten Realms were created by an American we'd probably expect the ethnic makeup of most stories to be about the same as that of the US (about 13 black, 16 latino, 4 asian and the rest white). I think a big issue is that (as in movies) the creators are targetting the largest possible audience and want their characters to be 'relatable' to the most consumers possible. It is the same problem that you have in film, with the rare exceptions of Will Smith and Denzel Washington (everyone loves Denzel)

I'd say the people who really get jipped are Latinos in the Forgotten Realms I've seen. I guess the Maztica thing is the closest you can get due to the complications in South America when it comes to their ethnic development. Surprisingly there seems to be more people of "Asianish" background in the game. Khalid and Rasaad are also what would be the equivalent of Middle Easterners in the games.

I think it is a weird conversation because "ethnicity" means something else entirely in the Forgotten Realms. For example, they say Amn is supposed to mirror Spain during the Middle Ages, but Valygar's family seems to have been there longer than even Keldorn's.
    edited May 2014

I'd imagine that because the Forgotten Realms were created by an American we'd probably expect the ethnic makeup of most stories to be about the same as that of the US (about 13 black, 16 latino, 4 asian and the rest white). I think a big issue is that (as in movies) the creators are targetting the largest possible audience and want their characters to be 'relatable' to the most consumers possible. It is the same problem that you have in film, with the rare exceptions of Will Smith and Denzel Washington (everyone loves Denzel)

I'd say the people who really get jipped are Latinos in the Forgotten Realms I've seen. I guess the Maztica thing is the closest you can get due to the complications in South America when it comes to their ethnic development. Surprisingly there seems to be more people of "Asianish" background in the game. Khalid and Rasaad are also what would be the equivalent of Middle Easterners in the games.

I think it is a weird conversation because "ethnicity" means something else entirely in the Forgotten Realms. For example, they say Amn is supposed to mirror Spain during the Middle Ages, but Valygar's family seems to have been there longer than even Keldorn's.

Over 12.5 % of Americans claim to have Latino heritage, which already constitutes more than a minority, if you ask me - you never see a Latino superhero or protagonists in mainstream gaming, right? And even less so in fantasy settings, where we are disregarded entirely.

Furthermore, if you pick your percentages, it sums up to 33%, which shoould mean non-white individuals should take up a third of media coverage in all areas if it were to match reality, which is obviously not the case.

Of course, my own country is also guilty of this, considering over half of our population is composed of black people - the largest black population outside of africa, in fact - yet the media always gives attention to the rare white, blonde-haired, blue-eyed individuals that make up less than 3% of the population yet take up most of the coverage.

Ah... How I long for the day where reality is portrayed in a veracious manner.
    edited May 2014
    Tresset said:

I think you all are reading way too much into all of this... Not everything has to have an innuendo or a hidden message of some sort. Looking for such in just about everything does not seem all that well adjusted to me.

Everything holds a meaning behind it, it is the nature of humans to be guided by emotions and preconceptions, otherwise we wouldn't function - a single statement can say a lot about someone, especially for one such as myself, who am, as a linguist, a human scientist.

There is always a reason behind a statement - a simple 'yes', for instance, shows that a person was conditioned to accept or confirm a situation based on their experience. There is nearly always a reason for something, discourse is no different, you wouldn't be able to write something wthout thinking first - your writings are always based on your preconcetpions, even if subcosciously so.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Loub said:

Tresset said:

I think you all are reading way too much into all of this... Not everything has to have an innuendo or a hidden message of some sort. Looking for such in just about everything does not seem all that well adjusted to me.

Everything holds a meaning behind it, it is the nature of humans to be guided by emotions and preconceptions, otherwise we wouldn't function - a single statement can say a lot about someone, especially for one such as myself, who am, as a linguist, a human scientist.

Of course that is true; but let me emphasize a few words here: innuendo and hidden message.
    edited May 2014
    Tresset said:

Loub said:

Tresset said:

Of course that is true; but let me emphasize a few words here: innuendo and hidden message.
    Nobody's speaking of hidden messages - the implications of the matters discussed here are pretty clear - as @booinyoureyes‌ can attest.
    @Loub‌ actually the US is now over 16 percent Hispanic

However, I still think you are reading into it a bit much, as Tresset said. The thing with superheroes is that most were created before the huge growth in the Latin population. There are quite a few cool newer Hispanic superheroes actually, and you should check them out: The Question (Renee Montoya), White Tiger, Tarantula, a bazillion minor X-Men and the new Blue Beetle (he's awesome). Plus the youngest Green Lantern and the new Ultimate Spider-Man are half-Latino.

Unfortunately its mostly minor characters, but its better than having about six minor villains that all go for the Lucha Libre look (sooooo original)
    Loub

@Loub‌ actually the US is now over 16 percent Hispanic

However, I still think you are reading into it a bit much, as Tresset said. The thing with superheroes is that most were created before the huge growth in the Latin population. There are quite a few cool newer Hispanic superheroes actually, and you should check them out: The Question (Renee Montoya), White Tiger, Tarantula, a bazillion minor X-Men and the new Blue Beetle (he's awesome). Plus the youngest Green Lantern and the new Ultimate Spider-Man are half-Latino.

Unfortunately its mostly minor characters, but its better than having about six minor villains that all go for the Lucha Libre look (sooooo original)

I am aware of the percentage - I am just pointing out that any number over 1/8 should be considered more than a 'minority'.
    Otherwise, your post is just spot-on, so carry on, you hold my approval.
    booinyoureyes
    Loub said:

you hold my approval.

oh. my. god.
    Really?
    My life is complete!
    jackjackWigglesMacHurtoCrevsDaak
  • Stalin_BrandoStalin_Brando Member Posts: 10
    My dear fellow - one must consider whereupon one's extremeties may be frozen in abject horror when contact is made with the iceberg of moral relativism one is subjected to within this game. And the damage that may come from such frostbitten and gangrenous infection of the mind and soul.
    'Tis is a written specimen of unrivaled talentless literature born within an icy plane of frozen imagination that can only be measured upon the length and breath of the river styx for comparison in its sheer bleakness. I offer a simple, yet profound answer in its simplicity - more akin to the advice one adventurer would give to another as he gazes wistfully upon snow capped mountain peaks that rest upon the hell of a Stygia yet conquered:

Don't fuckin' go there.

Or if you do, just avoid all of the new companions. Enabling the cheats and Ctrl-Y as soon as you spot them helps. Watch out for the lesbian vampire because she's immune to it and even if you kick her out of your party she still harasses you forevermore from the shadows of the Copper Cornet. Try tracking down a mod on Spellhold Forums that removes all new party members. I never got further than the aforementioned horror story, so someone else should tell you if they come back in TOB.
This discussion has been closed.