Skip to content

Life lessons from Baldur's Gate

2»

Comments

• iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72
    "Don't stow thrones in grass houses".

More seriously, I won't say this is something I've learned from the game but it's a recurring message throughout the series, is the idea that absolute unquestioning devotion to a cause, even a morally sound one, clouds the judgement and leads to bad choices. From Bhaal devotee Sarevok to Ajantis the unbending Helmite, those who refuse to deviate from their masters' prescribed paths are ultimately weaker for it, whilst those who question authorities both mortal and divine are largely better for it.

The other central message of the series is a very old one indeed, its presence is, I think, pretty self explanatory so I won't give examples and it is simply "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427

"Don't stow thrones in grass houses".

More seriously, I won't say this is something I've learned from the game but it's a recurring message throughout the series, is the idea that absolute unquestioning devotion to a cause, even a morally sound one, clouds the judgement and leads to bad choices. From Bhaal devotee Sarevok to Ajantis the unbending Helmite, those who refuse to deviate from their masters' prescribed paths are ultimately weaker for it, whilst those who question authorities both mortal and divine are largely better for it.

Tell that to Karsus XD

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I swear I've reloaded 8 or 9 times in my life (near death experiences).
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Closest thing I've got to a reload button is the snooze alarm and that only works for the adventures I have in dreamtime while making me late or rushed for real time business...
    jackjack said:

I swear I've reloaded 8 or 9 times in my life (near death experiences).

You are a cat :D
    @jackjack, can I carry you around Icewind Dale? I hear it brings good luck :D
    Don't make me go all Legion of the Chimera on your warehouse! >:P
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    In SCS version of "Life", your opponents know what you're immune against.
    And when you throw a rock at one person, everyone else in the neighborhood knows immediately where you are and starts running toward you .
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Sorry to rez a dead topic a bit but I am currently playing A Wolf Among Us and realized that I am doing everything *but* talking to the guy I'm suppose too.

So, life lesson from BG and video games in general.

Always do everything else before you do the thing you're suppose to do, in case you miss out on funny dialogue or loot.

...This might not be the best lesson.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @Necomancer‌
    Having applied that very lesson to my own life, I can confirm that it's not the worst one, at least in my experience.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    bengoshi said:

I'm buffleheaded, I’m not happy enough, I’m a worm, I’m a beggar, I’m doomed, I’m rather a die-hard fan or a sadist, I’m but grease stains on the wheel - but still my voice is ambrosia ;)

You may be a simian but you must aspire to exceed your lowborn heritage to reach the vanguard of goonery. Yes, bananas, someone needs to get you a banana.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Surround yourself with friends. Namely friends you can rely on...
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    There will be times in life when someone screws you. Despite your rage and indignation, often there's little you can do, but accept it.

I learned that from my experiences with Saemon Havarian.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Surround yourself with friends. Namely friends you can rely on...

Be a sorcerer. Then kill all your friends and take their loot, and it's all even better. :P