Skip to content

Spell Immunity Question

Two quick questions.

Firstly can you be immune to more than one type of magic at one time with Spell Immunity? So could I cast it, choose Abjuration, then cast it again and choose Alteration?

Secondly if the above IS possible, how on earth would you remove the spell protections from an enemy mage if they have themselves immune from Abjuration and Alteration?

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Secondly if the above IS possible, how on earth would you remove the spell protections from an enemy mage if they have themselves immune from Abjuration and Alteration?

Wait until they wear off, there isn't anything else you can do.

Firstly can you be immune to more than one type of magic at one time with Spell Immunity? So could I cast it, choose Abjuration, then cast it again and choose Alteration?

Yeah, you can, probably the best combo is Divination, Abjuration and Necromancy (F*ck all those Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I think you would have to choose abjuration last because otherwise you would be immune to spell immunity and couldn't make yourself immune to more schools... I think.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    Sorry guys, I'm a tad confused.

So Khelben's can take down Spell Immunity Abjuration even though Khelben's is an abjuration spell?

Sorry guys, I'm a tad confused.

So Khelben's can take down Spell Immunity Abjuration even though Khelben's is an abjuration spell?

They can't engine-wise, I don't even recall their descriptions so I don't know is they are supposed to.
    Also, SI:Alteration does not protect against Time Stop.
    @Gotural‌ Thank you. That clarified things.
    More removal questions!

Ok. The enemy mage his improved invisibility (you can't directly target him) but has Spell immunity to Divination and Abjuration (immune to true sight and dispel/remove magic). What are my options here?
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    You can't dispel him if you don't have SCS. It is the classic "I win" combo.

Try to use aoe spells like Skull Traps, Cloudkill and such to interrupt and damage him.
    edited May 2014
    And if you are running SCS? How would you do it then?

edit: that sounded demanding. I didn't mean it that way! Since I would like to play with SCS, I would love to know how it would be done then.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    @chickenhed From SCS readme:
    Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility
    This component changes those spells which target a creature's spell defences (e.g. Secret Word, Spellstrike, Ruby Ray of Reversal - but not Breach) so as to allow them to target creatures which are protected by Improved Invisibility. The idea of this component is that these spells can now be cast on enemy mages who are protected by Improved Invisibility - this makes the Improved Invisibility / Spell Immunity: Divination combination less overpowering.
    @SpaceInvader‌
    Are you supped to be able to target invis opponents with wands and scrolls? I've just recently discovered this behavior.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @chickenhed‌ Don't worry :)
    Concerning your question if you're running SCS, the spell removal spells have a small aoe and will hit the closest enemy. So you can use Spell Thrust on the floor to remove the Spell Immunity : Divination of your foe and then use True Sight. It is per the "Antimagic attacks penetrate Improved Invisibiity" component @FinaLfront‌ just quoted.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited May 2014
    @FinaLfront‌ There are no real reasons why a wand or a scroll should be able to target what a spell can't.
    But so it is.
    @Ballad‌ Well, the Twisted Rune is one of the easiest encounter to metagame, if you really have problems with its SCS version.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    There's an enemy High Level Spellcaster I know, that once told me:
    "Charname spellcasters in unmodded BG2 are just stupidly overpowered, especially if they metagame and prebuff before combat. I don't find it particularly fun not having at least the chance to read through 25 lines of spell protections just to be sure that the mage is pretty much invulnerable and my only chance at winning is to stall using Polymorph: Jelly or potions of magic protection"
    @Flashburn what an excellent idea. Yet another reasons thieves are often overlooked for their utility.
    @Pibaro Haha :) The thing is, there's always a way for a good mage to overcome every situation.
    Unless, of course, you have to face an enemy that casts spells over spells with scripts and/or is immune to a thousand effects.
    But that's more like cheating. Something that SCS tries to avoid.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    Alright, well, I suppose I was a little frustrated when I wrote that. And when I'm frustrated, I tend to exaggerate. Anyhow, my point was that arcane spellcasters, in general, have an upper hand in battles so even if there are items with anti-mage bias, I do not find it all that unfair.

@Pibaro; Good one. However, I find that enemy mages do have a slight edge over player mages for two reasons. First, an enemy mage will only ever fight one battle and thus does not need to ration his or her spells. Unless you employ your metagame knowledge and pre-select the optimal spells for an upcoming encounter, there is a good chance that at least some of your spells will be useless or wasted. Second, some of the most powerful casters (eg. liches) seem to possess abilities that are not available to the player, such as immunity to spells of 5th level or lower, multiple contingencies and so on.

I know a lot of you are fond of spellcasters and I don't wish to put them down, not at all. I am aware that a well-player player mage can be just as powerful, if not even more so, as his best AI-operated equivalent. What I find a tad strange/off-putting is that I can dispatch a beholder, high-level fighter and a vampire in a matter of seconds whereas a lich and a mage take minutes and multiple tries to take down. But such is the way of this game, and I've come to accept it.

@SpaceInvader, I eventually beat the whole encounter the legitimate way (didn't even use the wand.) I suppose my hard time was due to not having the Antimagic penetrates Improved Invisibility -component installed, meaning that SI: Divination pretty much made the mages untouchable bar a very high level dispel/remove magic.

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    @Ballad‌
    I was just joking.
    But remember, when you install scs you can choose from different level of prebuff for enemy spellcaster.
    New question BG experts!

Will the "absorb" spell protections (spell deflection line, spell turning line, and spell trap) absorb spell removal spells as well?

Example. Mage has globe of invulnerability which absorbs 10 levels of spells. I throw a Ruby ray at the mage (lvl 7 spell), will ruby ray be absorbed? Or will it remove the globe?

Much appreciated, everyone, for the answers and discussion.
    edited May 2014
    Most will get trough or dispel them, some do, some don't. I'm not very fond of all the descriptions pf the spells so, yeah, I don't remember, I don't recall, I have no memories of anything at all... ;P
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on