Skip to content

RE: Picking/Bashing Locks Mechanic

Hey,

Trying to figure out the percentages for opening locks (and other thieving activities). Imeon (for example) currently has a 25 in Open Locks. What is this number supposed to be telling me? At this point, (she's lvl 1) I've pretty much given up on trying to pick any locks because evidently this is beyond her ability. If I spend (say) 10 minutes trying to pick a lock will she get it eventually, or is the mechanic if one meets the requirement for that lock it will be opened immediately, otherwise it's impossible. Same question applies for bashing locks (though I can't find a number for this, trying it with a guy with 18/51 strength). Thanks for any help offered.

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    It's a bit too complicated to explain how it works.
    It's easier to tell you that 25% is too small for most of the container.
    Once you will reach 50% you'll be able to open most of the locks in BGEE.
    In BG2EE you'll need more than that, close to 90%.
    Some locks needs higher values, if you really want to open everithing you need 99% (you can boost your value with potions) or the "knock" wizard spell.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I can't tell you proper numbers, but the mechanic is something like this.
    Every trap and lock has a number, this represent how hard to disarm or open/bash it. If your skill % (disarm trap, open locks)+ a roll (maybe d10 or d20) is higher than the trap/lock difficulty, then you succeed. By the bashing you have a bashing % depending on your strenght. So if you have 40 % in disarm traps you can disarm a trap with 45 difficulty, but can't a 90. Generally, with 75 % in d.t. and o.l. you can handle the majority of the challenges. With high strenght you can bash the easy locks, but there will be many, what you can't bash.

Someone with higher insight will tell you the numbers.

(Oh, my english is so bad... However i hope you catch my meaning.)

Edit : I'm a little bit slow too...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Basically every lock in the game has its own 'difficulty rating' that you have to beat when trying to open it. The lock pick skill actually isn't giving you a % chance of success, but rather allowing you to open locks rated up to the difficulty of your skill. For example: You have a locked door and a locked chest. Your open locks skill is at 60. The door has a difficulty rating of 50 and the chest has a difficulty rating of 75. With your current skill of 60 you could open the door every time without fail but you could never open the chest no matter how much you tried. To open the chest you would need an open locks skill of at least 75. It doesn't hurt to try to open a lock, if you fail you can always come back later with a higher skill level and try again. An open locks skill level of 99 means that you can open every lock in the game, at least every lock that can be opened anyway.

Bashing locks on the other hand is a totally different mechanism and I do not know how it works other than that it is very unreliable. A thief with open locks is almost always better.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2014

You can find the equivalent of your open locks skill (based on strength) by reviewing this.

Strength Open Locks
    3 3
    4 4
    5 5
    6 6
    7 7
    8 8
    9 9
    10 10
    11 11
    12 12
    13 13
    14 14
    15 15
    16 16
    17 18
    18 20
    18/01-50 25
    18/51-75 30
    18/76-90 35
    18/91-99 40
    18/00 45
    19 50
    20 55
    21 60
    22 65
    23 70
    24 75
    25 80

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    elminster said:

You can find the equivalent of your open locks skill (based on strength) by reviewing this.

Strength Open Locks
    19 50
    Which is why Nathan Hale didn't need no Open Locks skill amiright @CrevsDaak ? ;D
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I think..... Don't think about this to hard...