Skip to content

[GUI Mod] BG2:EE GUI in BG:EE (for v1.3 only)

Comments

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    I just tried it on the android version, the main menu looks fine:

But the sidebars in game are all black and the tablet specific buttons are missing:

But when in any of the menus they look fine:

• PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    makes no sense
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Tablet version works wonderfully on Ipad2, zero bugs and black boxes, all cool! Thank you, sir! :-))
    PeccaCrevsDaak
    lunar said:

Tablet version works wonderfully on Ipad2, zero bugs and black boxes, all cool! Thank you, sir! :-))

I guess something drastic has changed in the GUI in the Android version and/or v1.3, oh well.

Kerozevok said:

argent77 said:

Although I don't know if the latter is a relevant issue for GUI graphics.

A few weeks back, I made a GUI with the intention to remove the transparency. I removed all PVRZ files from bif & chitin and the game run fine.

http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2014/04/19/140419033722959454.jpg

Just need to edit 2/3 bams (I don't remember which...) for avoid the game crash.

However for the sharing, the problem is that we need to edit the x & y values in the chu files and make different mos files... for all available resolutions.
    @Kerozevok: There may be an easier way, and available for every resolution. Since the bottom bar and dialog window center themselves, you just need to assign large GUI image to respective GUI windows and change coordinates of buttons to the centre of that image. Then, they will be centered for each resolution and no additional modding is required.

Here is a result of a quick test (obviously, the image would need a black window in the middle of it):
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Pecca I'm facing the same issue as @cmk24 on Android with Sony Xperia Z tablet, running on Android 4.2.
    I compared all the CHU files of the Android version with the Windows 1.3 beta patch and they are all identical.
    However there are big differences with the ones in the mod. I checked more specifically GUIW and its varitions adjusting to various screen sizes.

The tablet version is working well on Windows with the latest 1.3 beta patch.
    I managed to work around the issue on Android by not copying GUIW12.CHU from the mod in order to keep the original. I'm loosing the loot button, of course, but the GUI remains unified with BG2EE style, since the MOS and BAM have been changed.

A not too detailed comparison of GUIW12.CHU shows that there 2 more panels in the 1.3 version and the height is also different (800 in the mod, 768 in Android). Similarly the left panel has 2 more buttons in the Android version, although they don't appear in game (yet?). That causes a shift in the field First control index but I don't know if this is relevant to the bug.
    A more detailed check shows that GUIW12.CHU from the mod references many MOS files that do not exist in the game. They do not exist either in BG2EE.

Since the GUIW12.CHU file you added in the mod comes from BG2EE (they are identical) I assume it is not used in other game configurations (Windows, Mac, iPad) otherwise the missing MOS files referenced in the file would have been noticed.

I appears the same GUIW12.CHU is also used when I set the game not to scale by editing Baldur.ini, which I find a bit strange. When I use GUIW12.CHU from the mod, and keep the original ones for other GUIWxx.CHU, it breaks both scaled and non scaled games.
    I don't know how the game handles the relative positioning of panels when the resolution differs from the expectations in the CHU file but obviously it can manage.
    @Isaya: Yes the problem seems to be that windows (and apperently iPads too) use GUIW10.CHU file, while android doesn't. Is the missing quick loot button the only downside or are there some errors (with bams etc.) as well?
    Isaya said:

I managed to work around the issue on Android by not copying GUIW12.CHU from the mod in order to keep the original. I'm loosing the loot button, of course, but the GUI remains unified with BG2EE style, since the MOS and BAM have been changed.

Removing the GUIW12.CHU file does help:

Alright, that's it for now. Until v1.3 patch is released anyway. I updated the downloading instructions with this information.
    @Pecca I didn't notice any problem although I didn't try many screens beyond the ones directly available after loading a game (hence no shop, temple, level up, character creation, ...).

Maybe you could remove GUIW12.CHU from the archive instead of adding instructions, since it's not used and can't be anyway? Just my two cents.

Do you have any idea why a few button texts, such as Credits in the screenshot provided by cmk24 or Language in the option menu, are written on a black background while most others don't? It's the same on the iPad start menu screenshot.
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, that's probably better.

Credits, language and join game buttons and maybe some other buttons are hardcoded. They are not in the .chu files and can't be modded. I'm not exactly sure why they display text on the black background (they don't with PVRZ file format), but the hardcoding will definitely something to do with it. I already made a feature request for externalizing it.

Edit: Uploaded tablet version without GUIW12.CHU file.
    @Pecca I managed to built a suitable GUIW12.CHU starting from the Android file, adding the red diamond button to the bottom panel and adding the panel that displays the loot. I used BG2EE values (from GUIW10.CHU) for adjusting the button bar and creating the loot bar.

Here is how it looks. It's not perfect but I'm sick of spending hours on this. I had crashes when I tried to start from the faulty file from BG2EE, then decided to start over and added the missing bits to the working one.

Here is the file for @cmk24 to check on his setup. Then maybe you could add it back.
    I'm sorry I suggested you to remove it, just to come back suggesting to add this alternative.
    PeccaCrevsDaak
    @Pecca, Thanks for the upload it works great!

And if anybody is interested the GUIW12.CHU is the only file you need in your override folder to get the loot button to work in the original GUI also (I know, not exactly the point of this mod, but I think it is cool):

PeccaIsayalunarlolien
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    @Pecca Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look when the 1.3 will be available.
    cmk24 said:

And if anybody is interested the GUIW12.CHU is the only file you need in your override folder to get the loot button (...)

I suppose that depends the resolution (or the platform ?), on my PC it's the guiw10 and not 12.
    @Isaya: It seems to work. So can I put your file into my mod?

@Kerozevok: No problem. The issue however is, that in dialogs, it centers to the edge of the screen, not the edge of the bottom GUI. It doesn't matter for larger resolutions though.
    Anyway, guiw12 is used by androids and guiw10 by other platforms. So far, that seems to be the only difference.
    Kerozevok
    @Pecca Of course. I wouldn't have tried building the file if your mod hadn't demonstrated it was possible.
    It's there now.
    I'm creating a tweak component that adds background image to the startscreens for unscaled resolutions (instead of the black area). Now, I need to know, if it works properly on other resolutions than my own (1680x1050). If anyone is interested in testing this component, download the rar file below, put it in the override folder of your BG2:EE game (I'm testing it on BG2:EE for now) and run it. See, if everything is in their proper places in the start screens, option screen and if the background image doesn't overlap anywhere. Thanks.
    I tried in 1920x1200 and there is a little thing looking like part of a button appearing on the top left corner of the Options screen. Apart from that I didn't notice anything wrong.
    @Isaya: That's strange. It looks like a language button, but my BG2:EE has no language button yet. Does anything happen, if you click on it?
    You're right, it act as the language button and it brings the language menu. I'm using a customized French setup.
    To have the language choice, you just need to create an language directory in lang directory, for instance fr_FR, and copy the dialog.tlk from en_US.
    @Isaya: Thanks, got it now. Still, the language menu is off by 80 pixels, I must figure this out.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited May 2014
    Looks great, but you would have to redo all main screens. Also background image is not the best. If you want to use chapter image, Candlekeep (Prolog) would be much better choice. And the best would be something like this :) (can't you ask Archaic for permission?):
    archaicoptionsscreenbet
    image url

And if we are talking about upgrading main screens, then this one IMO has priority:
    Baldr046
    imgurl

This screen look horribly! I would love to see something done about it.

CrevsDaak
    Depends on the taste obviously. :) But it takes only a little effort to insert any wallpaper.
  • geminibrunigeminibruni Member Posts: 276
    edited May 2014
    Hi Pecca, i love tour work, if you wont to move into the direction of use a wallpaper into a main menu, i can give my ideas, an hybrid solution

imageimage
    kungfuhobbit
    Alright, I've been thinking about the startscreens, but it's rather problematic. I am using that wallpaper with gnolls startscreen for my game and I totally love it. But wallpaper startscreens can only be made for specific resolutions, for other, they wouldn't fit.
    So, what will most likely happen, is that after the patch is out, I will update the mod and add the original background I made as a component to the GUI tweaks (can't think of a better solution, btw, the archaic graphics (or vanilla BG2) just don't fit in with BG2:EE GUI, so I won't be usinganything from it).
    OR, I can collect a group of resolutions, that people interested in having wallpaper startscreens would post here and would make a startscreen for each such resolution (it shouldn't be much work) and probably post the component individually. I would also only stick with the "safe" wallpapers from BG:EE art.
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    is there a way to skip the new npcs character info screen too yet please?
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Pecca said:

Alright, I've been thinking about the startscreens, but it's rather problematic. I am using that wallpaper with gnolls startscreen for my game and I totally love it. But wallpaper startscreens can only be made for specific resolutions, for other, they wouldn't fit.
    So, what will most likely happen, is that after the patch is out, I will update the mod and add the original background I made as a component to the GUI tweaks (can't think of a better solution, btw, the archaic graphics (or vanilla BG2) just don't fit in with BG2:EE GUI, so I won't be usinganything from it).
    OR, I can collect a group of resolutions, that people interested in having wallpaper startscreens would post here and would make a startscreen for each such resolution (it shouldn't be much work) and probably post the component individually. I would also only stick with the "safe" wallpapers from BG:EE art.

I prefer the second option. My resolution is 1920x1080, thank you :)

is there a way to skip the new npcs character info screen too yet please?

No way I know of. Hopefully devs themselves will do something about it. They know we hate it.
    kungfuhobbit