Skip to content

Wierd item loss when i import ToB character to BGEE

Bit annoying that after a long struggle to get a character through the game that there isn't combability between some items in BGII and BG, kind of removes the possibilty of powerplaying some weaker characters through the game, any works in progress regarding full item integration between the two games?

Comments

• LowkiLowki Member Posts: 31
    Just seems a little sloppy to me
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    I am sure your level 40 fighter will have lots of trouble in the naskel mines if he cannot bring his +5 plate and sword...
    GodKaiserHelljackjackCrevsDaak
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I'm not sure why you would expect full item compatibility between the two games, especially when importing a character from the second game into the first. That being said, everyone has fun their own way, so I can get that you would want to do it, just not why you expect that it should be supported out of the box.

If you are able to import the character but not all the items, then it does support you being able to powerplay through again, just not with the same gear. If you really want the gear, it may be possible to copy the resources into your BGEE override folder and play with them that way. I'm not 100% sure of this though.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    SirK8 said:

If you really want the gear, it may be possible to copy the resources into your BGEE override folder and play with them that way. I'm not 100% sure of this though.

It is possible, and that would prevent the item loss. The biggest issue with doing this, however, is that about 95% of those items will then have invalid stringrefs (translation: their names and descriptions will display an error code). The items should function normally though.
    jackjackCrevsDaak
    Could you use NI to export them to your override, then the automate feature of WeiDU to create a tp2 that would copy the items as well as append the dialog.tlk? Maybe that's more work that someone would want to put into it, or maybe that won't work (I'm pretty new to using WeiDU, but that's how I got correct strings for custom items I had made in DLTCEP).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited May 2014
    @SirK8‌ You could use weidu to correct the stringrefs but I imagine it would take quite a while to do. Lots of copy/pasting.
    jackjackCrevsDaak
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    SirK8 said:

To "uninstall" the items and the strings added to the dialog.tlk just run bg2items.exe again and choose the uninstall option.

Edit: BTW, "uninstalling" it does take quite a while, so be patient. You could just delete the items from your override, but that wouldn't delete all the strings it added as well.

@SirK8 nice post :)

However there is a small inaccuracy. Uninstalling a WeiDU mod will not remove the additional strings in dialog.tlk. Apparently this was done on purpose to avoid breaking savegames after a mod is uninstalled.
    jackjackCrevsDaakSirK8
    edited May 2014
    @Erg‌ - interesting insight, I didn't know that. I wonder why it takes so long to uninstall then, it was considerably longer than the install.

Actually, my original thought was to somehow search through the exported character file for the items contained in that, then only import those into the BG1 game, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. I guess the advantage to importing all of the items is you would only have to do this once if you were planning multiple character imports. Just seems like a lot of overhead though :)
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Lowki said:

Just seems a little sloppy to me

What's sloppy is trying to use a grossly over-powered character to play a game that's meant for lower levels. Like, seriously, I can't believe that you're even complaining about this.

elminster
  • LowkiLowki Member Posts: 31
    I guess what i meant was that I was hoping for a more seamless integrated connection between the two games. As for the overpower-aspect: Guess it's a diablo-syndrome, can't see the point of playing a character from start to finish, fully exploring everything, and finishing with superpowers and kewl items and simply say "oh well guess I'll roll a pala". Besides it's not like i take a single godlike avatar through the game once again, I simply use them for soft-boosting new weaker characters through the hairy or annoying bits, depending on mood, while also beeing able to play the game in ways that are not typically played (like joining Bodhi, turning on Hendak, poisoning the grove etc.)

TL;DR: I don't get people who play one character from start to finish and never see or use them again