Skip to content

What are some other games like BGE 1 & II?

BGEFanaticBGEFanatic Member Posts: 67
Hey,

I'm digging this game alot and I would like to ask if there were any other games out there? I like the classic Dungeons & Dragons gameplay, not only it's smooth to run on any PC but the atmosphere of the game is renewing and its cool to have games like this.

So are there any others out there?

Cheers
Dungeonnoob

Comments

• BGEFanaticBGEFanatic Member Posts: 67
    I kinda liked the upcoming ones.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Nothing really matches the greatness of Baldur's Gate. Raargh!!!

P.S. speaking seriously:

Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape: Torment are the infinity engine games.

Beyond that Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 share similarities with BG but are not isometric RPGs.

There're also Konung Legends of the North, Konung 2 Blood of Titans, Konung 3 Ties of the Dynasty

The Temple of Elemental Evil is based on D&D 3.0 and is a turn-based game.

Dragon Age: Origins is a good game and feels the same as Baldur's Gate in most of the parts.

You can also take a look at Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscure. They have tons of customization, party options, side quests, etc.

And soon we'll have Pillars of Eternity that is going to be great. Just check the last few pages of
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4792/obsidian-entertainment-s-project-eternity#latest
    DungeonnoobDemonoid_LimewireBGEFanatic
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Well everyone got anything I could put in. Didn't play a lot of infinity engine besides BG, so I can't say much for them. I do love Dragon Age Origins though. It is BG's spiritual successor. DA2... not so much. (As in I hate DA2 and it is not so in the spirit of BG)
    JuliusBorisov
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited May 2014
    Archaos said:

Top Ten "RPGs". *Sees The Elder Scrolls Online and Destiny* Herp derp.

The Elder Scrolls stopped being RPGs since Morrowind and TESO is an MMO and barely a true Elder Scrolls game.
    Destiny is an FPS/MMO/RPG? made by people that made Halo for crissakes. The only RPG part about it are the stats.

Yeah, RPGs. Right, sure, whatever.

Replace TESO and Destiny with Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera and then you can take the list seriously.

I find the drop off from RPG to be only skyrim, but I can't claim it's not an RPG, just less so. I actually enjoy Oblivion most of all the TES games. Also TESO is an MMORPG, so I think it fits RPG whether it is true to TES or not. Destiny I am not so sure about because I don't really keep up with it.
  • CairnCairn Member Posts: 6
    If you like or are ok with turn-based combat, look up SpiderWeb software. Their new Avadon series and the Pits of Avernum remake are excellent. Their older titles are fantastic as well if you don't mind the graphics and lack of many animations.

The SNES version of Ultima 6 has a similar feel and gameplay experience to Baldurs Gate, and has the option to turn "turn based combat" on or off. It is nearly identical to the PC version of U6 except it was adapted to not need a keyboard and has a party size limit of 5 or 6 rather than 8. It is accessible through SNES roms and emulators and works pretty well to play on a mobile phone. The graphics are not quite as good, but the story is very engaging as I recall it. Ultima VII parts 1 and 2 are also good and run well on the Exult engine (minus a few bugs). Note these are both a different mythos than D&D, but very fun and cool atmosphere IMO, as well as an open world to explore.

I would also recommend BG2 and and the other D&D series, but see those are well covered above.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov