Skip to content

Have googled & read faq but haven't found an answer.. are shapeshifters fixed?

Hi there!

I've just gone and bought bgee for my android phone and I have to say I'm loving the ability to now play bg when I'm out and about AS WELL as at home now ^^

However.. as probably most of us know, shapeshifters in baldurs gate had a bit of stick because various things weren't implented that ought to have been. I've spent the last hour or so trying to see if they've been fixed in bgee but can't find a solid answer anywhere - so really, apologies for treading over what must be old ground now, but have they been fixed?

Any information would be much appreciated = )

Uncumber

Comments

• LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    No, they are still by far the worst kit in the game - nothing has been done to rectify their dearthful situation, which is really a shame.
  • UncumberUncumber Member Posts: 20
    Oh that is such a pity! Oh well, thank you for your speedy reply anyway =) Hopefully they will get balanced out at some point, they've always sounded like such a fun kit.

Now I just have to decide if i want a barbarian, or another mage playthrough.. mmmm.....
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    No, Cernd still has his puppy iirc
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Shapeshifters are just druids who traded wearing armor for actually useful Shapeshifting. It's neither inferior nor superior to normal druid.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I agree with @ZelgadisGW. I've seen a lot of criticism of Shapeshifters, and Cernd (BG2) in particular, but I recently completed a run in which (for the first time) I stuck with Cernd right through to the end, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that at higher levels he became really useful - his Greater Werewolf form (level 13) is decent in melee even against ToB enemies, and his casting (in human form) is decent once he gets plenty of spells-per-day (level 15). I reckon most of the criticism comes from people who haven't actually stuck with a Shapeshifter long enough to see how good they are later on. It's like Monks - both classes are weak in BG1 and early BG2, but become strong later when their abilities mature.
  • UncumberUncumber Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2014
    I believe the problem is not necessarily that they are actually particuarly weak, it's rather that many abilities were not implemented at all in to the game, that were supposed to be (the original BG series that is, not BG:EE - although it appears they weren't implemented in to BG:EE either, I've no clue if they were supposed to be in EE or not ^^).

I haven't got time here to check the manual/game so I'm just going to quote from another forum and hopefully somebody here will correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe the following is true -

''It's not that the shape shifter is bad. The problem is that it didn't get the abilities it was supposed to.

Quoted from the Ease of Use Readme:

Werewolf

You Were Supposed To Get-------------You Actually Got
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~---------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Base Magic Res 20%---------------------Magic Res *LOCKED AT* 20%
    Immunity to Normal Weapons----------Nothing
    Paw = 1d12 slashing----------------------Paw = 1d6 piercing

For the Greater Werewolf ...

You Were Supposed To Get---------------You Actually Got
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~-----------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    THAC0 6-----------------------------------------Nothing
    Saves 1/1/1/2/1--------------------------------Nothing
    Base Elemental Res 50%-----------------Elemental Res *LOCKED AT* 50%
    Base Magic Res 40%-----------------------Magic Res *LOCKED AT* 40%
    Immunity to Normal Weapons------------Nothing
    Paw = +3 Weapon----------------------------Paw = +2 Weapon
    Paw = 2d8 slashing--------------------------Paw = 1d6 piercing
    Regeneration 3 HP / second--------------Nothing''
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    It seems, the new patch let the magic resist to stack. And the greater werewolf form in pnp is loup garouhttp://www.lomion.de/cmm/lycaloga.php

It has regeneration of 1hp per turn.
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    edited April 2016
    Well elminster, you pointed something important:
    The fact that IF greater werewolf were getting the "true" power, then by the moment you get it, it would be way too strong. But we could definitly have an hla (instead of the elemental shapeshift one) that increase the power of greater werewolf -similar to how bard song get improved with an hla-
    Post edited by matrice on
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    Interesting... Eventually I'd like Beamdog to give love to some kits like this one, and why not some new ones.
  • IlincaIlinca Member Posts: 19
    matrice said:

Well elminster, you pointed something important:
    The fact that IF greater werewolf were getting the "true" power, then by the moment you get it, it would be way too strong. But we could definitly have an hla (instead of the elemental shapeshift one) that increase the power of greater werewolf -similar to how bard song get improved with an hla-

Obviously level 13 is early on and the greater werewolf is really powerful in early on in SOA but when you get to TOB it falls off pretty harshly. So maybe the correct answer is to add a third werewolf form as an HLA with better damage, crazy regen, and protection from normal weapons can call it Werewolf Master or Loup Garuo or something.
  • QuiqueQuique Member Posts: 62
    I like the idea of a HLA. Greater Werewolf's biggest issue is how it falls behind over time I think.