Skip to content

Solo monk story

I just started a solo no reload monk run. LG, vanilla monk, 18-18-16-15-10-11
As usual i will avoid the basiliks/ring of wizardry shortcut.

So far i am level 2, having done a few fetch quest in beregost and kited (took 70 darts!!) the ogre belt fetish.

I will keep you informed (although it probably does not interest anyone)

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I'm interested! I plan to do a solo monk play-through one day myself, though I'm considering making things even harder by saying I can only use my fists or magical items to fight with... (No weapons, basically)
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Having no range weapon would make things very hard in the beginning.
    At low level, the monk has only 1 thing to rely on : his speed. But if you cannot kite it is rather useless.

Once the early game is past it should be easy enough.

As of now, it don't expect any problem save for the duchal palace.

For that specific fight, i will just use all potions at my disposal and hope i can kill them fast enough but i don't see any failproof way to do it since the monk has weak damage output compared to a fighter (no potion of speed, weak weapons) and no crowd control (as opposed to the arcane casters).

The final fight should be easy enough with the use of potions (double magic resistance (immune to magic), defense(around -12AC), giant strength)
    Bassilus died quite easily and i was able to buy the dagger of venom with the reward
    Time to do the main quest now
    Most of the time i skip all of cloakwood and the mines save for the boots of speed fight and davaevorn.
    For this run i will probably skip the boots of speed though.

For Davaevorn, i will use potions of magic blocking to be completely immune to him. 2 potions are enough to make him waste his very small spellbook (1 lightning bolt + 1 fireball + 1 charm + 1 hold)

For the battle horrors,

If you are lucky, his lightning bolt will kill or seriously damage them.

Otherwise, i see 2 ways to deal with them :
    - abusing my superior speed to "backstab" them with the dagger of venom
    - buffing with a potion of defense and a potion of giant strength which should allow me to tank them.

To be safe, i will probably use both

The potion of defense is really powerful on a monk since it will allow you to reach very low AC (around -8 at this point of the game, -12 at the end)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Tanking the Horrors is rough! Potion of defense or Invulnerability are like win buttons for Kensais and monks. Shield for easy fights, but those potions are brutally effective. I tried a dart monk solo, and yeah, got crazy bored. I didnt want to finish eventually. It was tedious more than satisfying. Also, felt undoable nearly without great stats and the Horror ability.

Does anyone have a harder time with Dav than his horrors?

The Iron Throne fight is basically a must kite for my solo attempts. Except sorcerer. ;)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yes, KILL THEM WITH FFFIIIRRRREEEE!!! *cough*
  • SuperFeatureSuperFeature Member Posts: 35
    That was a fun read. It would be nice if there was a rouge like, no reload mod for BG.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    A shame :-(
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    How do you deal with critical hits?

I had once keepered for Rasaad a circlet (just a plain, non-magical one) to stave off crits in BGEE. Seemed unfair that even with the best AC (which Rasaad can top!) he still suffers double the damage always...