Skip to content

Jan Jansen, an amazing adventure.

GSmith84GSmith84 Member Posts: 25
I want to say I've beaten BG2: ToB so many times of different alignments and different ways. Though I've always unwittingly maintained the same party. And in many recent play-throughs usually acting as a challenge and going solo.

Today was the first time I ever played the game with Jan Jansen in the group for a significant amount of time. As such I must say, if a statue hasn't been erected somewhere in honor of the writer responsible for Jan's musings... a great injustice of our time has been done.

(Attachment - Though I've played much more back with the 5 disc combo, my steam version hasn't been played any less. Of all my gaming since the days of my Atari 5200 I think BG2: ToB is my most favorite game of all time still)
RavenslightelminsterSionIVBlackravenronaldojackjackCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovkillerrabbitElrandirScooterlolienbooinyoureyesBorrroGirewan

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    He's one of my favorite characters. I actually don't feel bad about including him in multiple runs because his interactions with different party members can be priceless. Jan and Anomen in a single party almost makes bringing Anomen worth it (yeah, he's strong mechanically but a jerk).
    Blackravenelminsterkillerrabbitjackjack
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    @elminster Great stuff. I hope you make a Jansen dialogue expansion mod one day!
    elminsterJuliusBorisovjackjackRavenslight
  • sethosayhersethosayher Member Posts: 7
    Speaking of Jan...given his unique gear, does it ever make sense to give him other weapons/armor?
    Ravenslight
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I always give Jan Jansen the Army Scythe so that he can double the rate of firing his Flashers that can stun enemies. So, with his Flasher Launcher he makes the ammunition but fires it from other weapons. The more hits are available, the more stunning chances there're.

Later in the game, I give him a wonderful drow crossbow of speed and of course the Firetooth +4.

Jansen Spectroscopes are very nice and seldomly need swapping - they serve as a protection from critical hits and giving the detect illusion skill a 20% bonus can be only positive.

Jansen Techno-Gloves - well, I take them off when I don't need to pick a lock or a pocket. Gauntlets of Ogre Power are much more useful - Jan can be a wonderful backstabber with this item.

Jansen AdventureWear is a solid armor and doesn't need to be taken off unless you plan to give him the Robe of Vecna. But I rarely give the Robe to Jan - my own wizard/Edwin/Aerie are better choices for this item.
    Ravenslightjackjacklolien
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Wait… You can use his flashers in other weapons? LOL Sigh… I always thought they had to be fired with his own weapon. As many times as he has been in my party… It never even occurred to me to try. I guess I just always thought it was neat that he could stun with his own. I really need to explore tactic options more. :)
    jackjacklolienbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

You can use his flashers in other weapons?

Oh yes.
    bengoshi said:

Jansen AdventureWear is a solid armor and doesn't need to be taken off unless you plan to give him the Robe of Vecna. But I rarely give the Robe to Jan - my own wizard/Edwin/Aerie are better choices for this item.

Later in the game, if your primary caster is using the Robe of Vecna (as is likely!), then the Aslyferund Elven Chain +5 is great for Jan.
    Ravenslight
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The Aslyferund Elven Chain has lots of nice perks, and also keeps Jan's harlequin colorscheme going.

I often end up giving him the Wondrous Gloves in TOB to replace his own ones, as the bonus THAC0 and spells help a bit.
    JuliusBorisov