Skip to content

Making BG2.....as easy as possible.

Without cheating.

I forgot how hard this game is.

I've yet to complete a playthrough, but I've started and completed portions of this game....maybe 7 times so far? Other than Morrowind, there is no other game I come back to so often without finishing it.

I appreciate that Baldur's Gate 2 belongs to a venerable tradition of DnD based WRPGs that are brutal and demanding....but I'm a pansy. I want to vanquish enemies with ease and get to the meaty intrigue and story bits. I want to expedite the combat and spend as little time as I can in dungeons.

Aside from outright cheating (by cheating, I mean using the console to slaughter enemies) I don't know what to do. I'm thinking of trying that Kensai-Mage build I've heard of, but it seems kind of complicated. I also already rolled a mage. Would there be a significant harm to using EE to change the class of my main character?

Another option is to use an NPC mod that is absurdly powerful. Again, I know some of you who love the combat and mechanics of this game are wincing at this idea, but I would love to find an NPC that can just wade into battle and quickly kill most things. Is there anything like this?

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Well, first off, turn the difficulty all the way down. Then there are a bunch of cheese things you can do. Abuse rest, fire AoE spells from behind the fog of war, ect. Then quicksave a lot. a lot and keep trying. Sorcerer is an OP class if you know what your doing, and so is any Mage combo. Fighter/Mage and thief/Mage are quite nice. Just keep trying, it shouldn't be to bad. You'll get better at it. If you want anything else, please be more specific with what exactly your struggling with:)
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2014
    All good advice. I'll also mention that if you know a battle is comming you can cast the shorter duration spells like strength, haste, drink potions, prot evil, ect. Also don't forget to use magic item and granted ability powers. A battle where your front line fighters have chaotic commands, and your weak mages have stoneskin is a LOT easier
    Post edited by Juris on
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'll echo the multi F/M suggestion.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Play a Berserker and grand master in flails.
    If you see baddies, activate berserk rage... Repeat, repeat, repeat.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hello, @sethosayher‌ !

The community has already given you more than 10 very useful advices.

In addition I encourage you to thoroughly read the game manuals:

http://www.beamdog.com/files/bg2ee/bg2eemanual1.pdf - it isn't called "Survival Guide" for nothing
    http://www.beamdog.com/files/bg2ee/bg2eemanual2.pdf - you'll understand Melee and Magic mechanics much better

Also, there're many useful tips in this thread:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32046/understanding-baldur-s-gate-2#latest
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Chaos is a downright terrifyingly good spell to make an 'impossible' battle an 'embarassingly easy' one. In BG1, it pretty much wins any battle without gimmicking, but in BG2, you may want to use Improved Malison. This will leave opponents saving at a VERY substantial penalty. Slow snd chaos are both selective, thus wont hurt uour party.

If playing a wizard, use sequencers, triggers and contingencies liberally.

Against weaker opponents, web and sword spiders are effective. Cast web 2 or 3 times if youve got lots of mages. Spiders are immune, but many enemies arent.
  • sethosayhersethosayher Member Posts: 7
    Guys, thank you so much for the advice. I've actually just found a new feature of BG2 that is helping me immensely, in addition to the tips provided above (this may have been mentioned already) - use the scrips in the customize section of a party member's screen! These have different pre-sets for how your party members should behave in a conflict, and greatly expedites combat!
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Use cheese and exploits! Or start 1, create a full party yourself with best possible rolls, go through it, and export them in 2.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    @sethosayer: Another strong multiclass with a different RP flavor from the traditional Fighter/Mage rockstar is Ranger/Cleric. ~Favored Enemy, Stealth, etc.