Skip to content

Was Karoug nerfed compared to 1998 BG?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    No, it hasn't been nerfed. He still regenerates 5 HP per second and he also has immunity to non-silver weapons and 50% elemental resistance.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    bengoshi said:

In BG1, the greater wolfwere has the same stats as in BG:EE.

Yes, I was indeed comparing BG:EE and vBG1.

It may be worth mentioning that he is instead nerfed in both BGT and EasyTutu, but in different ways.

In BGT he regenerates a bit faster (6 HP per second) but he isn't immune to non-silver weapons anymore. He is just immune to non-magical weapons.

In EasyTutu he retains his immunity to non-silver weapons, but he only regenerates 2 HP per second.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    The best tactic when facing him is trying to deal as much damage as possible in one go. He has very high regeneration but his health is low, so one critical hit and a few spells and you'll put him down before he can regenerate.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited June 2014
    SionIV said:

The best tactic when facing him is trying to deal as much damage as possible in one go. He has very high regeneration but his health is low, so one critical hit and a few spells and you'll put him down before he can regenerate.

Or backstab him. Also notice that all party members are at full health, lol.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    SionIV said:

That's how I beat him during my last playthrough - a ranger dual wielding two of the werewolf specific weapons (even though she wasn't proficient with them), with potions of strength and speed to boost her THAC0 and APR, scored a few crit hits in quick succession and Karoug was done.

bengoshi said:
    It's quite amusing because there is absolutely no difference when it comes to :

Alora
    Imoen
    Safana
    Skie

They all deal the same damage when it comes to backstab.
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    Easiest time I had with him was with my Blackguard on one side with the Werebane bastard sword from Cloakwood and Shar-Teel (dualled to thief) with the Sword of Balduran and the Warebane dagger behind him, both hasted. He didn't last long at all.
    edited June 2014
    Walstafa said:

Easiest time I had with him was with my Blackguard on one side with the Werebane bastard sword from Cloakwood and Shar-Teel (dualled to thief) with the Sword of Balduran and the Warebane dagger behind him, both hasted. He didn't last long at all.

It's not nearly as fun when you play a solo cleric or F/C.
    I actually just like that particular moment because Skie got critical hit as well, and did so much damage. She totally chunked Karoug. Someone mentioned that Karoug has 66hp, so Skie almost 1-hitted him. Skie is my favorite thief in the game for some reason. Too bad you get her so late in the game.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    CamDawg said:

Karoug is easier than BG, but it's because BG was buggy. Karoug's regeneration ring had the wrong timing, so the regen would keep stacking upon reloading, letting it reach ridiculous levels.

Yeah, I could have sworn he was easier to deal with in vBG1... Died much faster.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    Tresset said:

CamDawg said:

Karoug is easier than BG, but it's because BG was buggy. Karoug's regeneration ring had the wrong timing, so the regen would keep stacking upon reloading, letting it reach ridiculous levels.

Yeah, I could have sworn he was easier to deal with in vBG1... Died much faster.
    That could have been because the spell Haste was better in BG1. It basically acted like a mass Improved Haste spell (doubled your APR rather than just giving you 1 more apr).
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    On the other hand, Karoug seems easier to a lot of players now but I think it is simply because you become better and better at the game.

Back in time my only reliable strategy for most fights of BG1 was to summon hordes of skeletons + animals (like 50+) it was so cheesy.
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    SionIV said:

Walstafa said:

It's not nearly as fun when you play a solo cleric or F/C.
    No, funny that. :-(
    Sergio said:

I've got an unrelated question, that came to my mind reading "solo": if one was to "solo" whole baldur's gate, what level could he reach, if the cap was unlimited?

In my experience, if you do pretty much everything you get approximately 1.5 million XP total in BGEE. What level a solo character reaches will depend on class, but roughly level 15ish.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited June 2014
    Not sure, but the experience tables run out of progression stats at level 50, so past that you don't get much out of it. And you'd never get there in the first game.
    I can't say for the additional content added with BGEE, but in TuTu/BGT you could end up reaching 1 200 000.