Skip to content

Where are saved games?

I had been playing BG:EE on 10.6.8 and hadn't had any problems with it. However, tonight I upgraded to 10.8.3. When I went to continue my Black Pits' journey, none of my saved games showed up; the same was with BG:EE.

I did check my files on my harddrive, though, and found all my saved games — for BP and BG:EE — and exported characters. Whew!

The only thing is, none of the saved games are showing up in the game itself. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Comments

• CorpusDelictiCorpusDelicti Member Posts: 45
    Having the same problem with my exported characters — none of them are able to be imported since they no longer appear in the list.

Anyone?
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    edited May 2013
    I didn't play BG:EE on 10.6.8 but on 10.8 the Baldur's gate folder in your Documents folder is an alias. The real folder is in the Library (hidden by default on 10.8).

So it might not have been the same on 10.6.8 where your Baldur's Gate folder in Documents was the real one. You upgrade, the folder is still there but the Baldur's Gate folder in your Documents is not the one taken by the game.

Suggestion : find the folder in the library, put all the files form your old saves in it and try again. Path should be this : /Users/CorpusDelicti/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.

Hope this is more or less clear ;-)
  • tlwallstlwalls Member Posts: 28
    Having the same problem with inaccessible saved games, but I'm using system 10.7.5 and the path described above doesn't seem to apply.
  • mrfrenchmrfrench Member Posts: 23
    I'm having the same problem. I put all the files from the old save into the directory given above and it still does not work. One of the things I also noticed is that it doesn't seem to be finding the Baldur.ini file either : I ran the game, changed some options (like adjusting volume) and exited the game. When I started the game again, the options were back to their default settings. I've also noticed that some portions of the screen are off the edge - that is, on the left side where you have the icons to do various things, the first one is off-screen and cannot be accessed. Even changing the display doesn't help.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Finding the save game folders in recent versions of OSX can be tricky since the user's Library folder is hidden.

Select the Finder in the Dock. Hold down the "option" key while clicking on the "Go" menu. One of the selections should be "Library" (if you click on Go without the option key held down, the Library selection won't appear). Click on Library and then navigate to the following folders:

For BG1EE: Library > Containers > com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition > Data > Documents > Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition > save

For BG2EE: Library > Containers > com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition > Data > Documents > Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition > save

Your saved games should go in the "save" folder.

Finding the save game folders in recent versions of OSX can be tricky since the user's Library folder is hidden.

Select the Finder in the Dock. Hold down the "option" key while clicking on the "Go" menu. One of the selections should be "Library" (if you click on Go without the option key held down, the Library selection won't appear). Click on Library and then navigate to the following folders:

For BG1EE: Library > Containers > com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition > Data > Documents > Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition > save

For BG2EE: Library > Containers > com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition > Data > Documents > Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition > save

Your saved games should go in the "save" folder.

Actually, I know EXACTLY where the files are and what you describe above is EXACTLY what exists on my system. It does NOT work.

Using the appropriate unix commands in the Terminal window (so I can capture them) there is:

> cd /Users/me
    > ls Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition/save
    000000000-Auto-Save 000000023-Freki 000000051-Larswood
    000000001-Quick-Save 000000024-Houdini
    000000012-Ranger 000000039-After da mines

As you can see, the files are there. But the game DOES NOT SEE THEM. It also doesn't read the Baldur.ini file that is in the directory above the save directory either.

At first, I thought the problem might be permissions so I used the Disk Utility to fix the permissions on the system. That did not correct the problem.

And none of these things have anything to do with why some of the screen is "off-the-edge" and cannot be accessed.
    mrfrench said:

Actually, I know EXACTLY where the files are and what you describe above is EXACTLY what exists on my system. It does NOT work.

Did you see this fix for the save game issue?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/504682/#Comment_504682

In this case, importing one of the save games got the program to recognize the save game folder again. You could try that.
    edited June 2014
    And regarding your screen issue, there's another thread having what sounds to be a similar issue, and its happening with a high-res display with a very wide screen (3.4k x 1.4k pixels, 21:9 ratio). Maybe it's a similar issue.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32538/very-high-resolution-scrolling-issue#latest

In this case, importing one of the save games got the program to recognize the save game folder again. You could try that.

I saw that thread. It does not have any instructions for "importing" a game.

And regarding your screen issue, there's another thread having what sounds to be a similar issue, and its happening with a high-res display with a very wide screen (3.4k x 1.4k pixels, 21:9 ratio). Maybe it's a similar issue.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32538/very-high-resolution-scrolling-issue#latest

There's no fix given in that thread. Also, since I'm playing on a laptop, playing in "window" mode would be very, very painful.

This seems to be something that Apple did though - I have this problem with other games as well. I think they changed something in the screen handling to accommodate newer machines and they broke something. But, that's just a guess.
    mrfrench said:

New Game > Create > Import > Saved Game

See if that works.

mrfrench said:

New Game > Create > Import > Saved Game

See if that works.

There are no games listed there to import. I also tried starting a new game, saving it, exiting and then trying to restore the save game but that new saved game wasn't listed there either. The game did not give me any errors when I saved the new game... but when I looked in the directory afterward there was no new save there.
    Additional info:

The file
    Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition

is actually a link to /Users/me/Documents/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition

I copied the files from there to a temporary directory and then deleted the directory and the link to it. I then started the game. I created a new game, and then saved it. The game said "Save successful". I then exited the game, and while the game recreated the link, it did not recreate the underlying directory and didn't save the game. I then recreated the directory and put the saved files back in there, and it still did not work.

All the permissions on all of the files and directories seem correct - owned by me, group "staff" (which is the standard group for an account that has administrator privileges) and the files are all read/write by me.

This has me stumped.
    On my system, this is reversed. /Users/me/Documents/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition is a symlink to Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition

I tried making the real folder the "/Users/me/Documents/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition" one and the Library/Containers one the symlink and it didn't work.

Try setting it up so that the Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition folder in Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/ is a real folder, not a link.

On my system, this is reversed. /Users/me/Documents/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition is a symlink to Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition

I tried making the real folder the "/Users/me/Documents/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition" one and the Library/Containers one the symlink and it didn't work.

Try setting it up so that the Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition folder in Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/ is a real folder, not a link.

I set it up exactly that why. The game still could not read either the .ini file or the save files. Weirdly enough, when I exited the game and checked, everything was back to the way it was before - the game had moved the files over to the directory in /Users/me/Documents/ and recreated the link.

Is there any way to get someone from beamdog to look into this?? Since I can't save a game there's no point in playing...