Skip to content

is anyone here involved in art/music/etc in any way?

2»

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited June 2014
    I think that mentioning the "Bechdel Test" is relevant to the discussion about women in works of fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test

In a nutshell, it says that any story that has good female characters in it must:

1) have at least two women in it...
    2) who are named, and who talk to each other...
    3) about something other than a man.

The more the female character is defined by her relationship to some male character (love interest, husband, father, brother, son), the more she fails the test.

I think some men have a really hard time imagining that women have anything on their minds other than men.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    edited June 2014
    Ugh. I hate the Bechdel Test. (Mostly because I fail it half the time... Not bias at all, no sir! >.>;; )

My problem is that the Bechdel Test restricts what a woman is allowed to say, and who she's allowed to say it with. You can have a female protagonist, for example, and a very strong male counterpart together. This female protagonist is smart, charming, and thinks independently from the male. She makes her own decisions, and she's not necessarily held down by what the man is saying. And this female protagonist could still fail the Bechdel Test because she doesn't ever communicate with another female character.

It also ignores context. Okay, so let's say you have a story where two female characters are talking about a man. Okay, you might roll your eyes and move on. It's two women fawning over a man, what else is new? But in the context of the conversation, they could be talking about killing/capturing/freeing themselves/trash-talking/something else that's clearly not "fawning over." Two women could be held captive by a male slaver, and since they're trying to break free from his captivity, they could be discussing how to get rid of him. These ladies still fail the Bechdel Test, despite their displays of independent thought.

Point being: The Bechdel Test does do a good job highlighting a lack of dialogue between women in film, comic books, and other works of fiction. But in no way should it restrict your own storytelling, or be used as the end-all-be-all method to gauge sexism in a work.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I used to do a fair bit of text roleplaying... IE no game, just storyline, so I got pretty decent at building character sketches, some pretty detailed, some even decent imho, but implementation isnt as easy. I can noun like nobodies business, but verbing isnt so pretty. ;) A bit of an annoyance is when archtypes start overwhelming the characters too much. I also find villains much more interesting, so many ideas ended up collapsing under the weight of evil. Well, or are just too noun-heavy for a narrative to happen (...see the Silmarillion for whst too many nouns can do to the verbing!).

I like the Bechdel emphasis on multiple, independent female characters, but I also agree plenty of stories wouldnt pass despite being a fair representation. But, most movies and books dont pass, which suggests to me at least it can be a useful test. Its also totally possible for content to pass the test yet be extremely offensive.

I also like to look at how a movie deals with other disadvantaged groups. Hollywood still hss a way to go on this stuff, and still little incentive. Sexism and racism sell well, unfortunately.
    @jackjack didnt you know Verb is the evolved form of Noun?

Verb btw evolves into Adjective.
    But was he verbing NOUN?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Today above the Iron gorge,
    A Fox did Mr. B observe,
    A bushy sail among autumnal leaves,
    Orange, gold and red perceived!

I write poetry...
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited June 2014
    LadyRhian said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US8mGU1MzYw

Ha! Verbing Nouns was around long before Calvin and Hobbes!

@LadyRhian‌ point taken, though I don't know how well Mr.10' v-neck verb is going to further the pursuit of making language a complete impediment to understanding.

(Even more)Off-topic, did you know they still show this I school? like, now? in high school I saw the bill one, the noun one, and one other grammar one, just this year.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    My personal favorite is the adverbs one. "Lolly, lolly, lolly, Get your adverbs here!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14fXm4FOMPM

The one I remember most is Conjunction Junction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPoBE-E8VOc
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited June 2014
    Almost no one in my sixth grade class had any trouble when we had to memorize and recite the preamble to the U.S. Constitution. The funny thing was, even though we didn't actually sing it, we all said it in exact rhythm to the song.

The only people who had trouble with the recitation were the kids whose parents didn't let them watch Saturday morning TV for some reason. Who says TV isn't educational? (Maybe it isn't any more, but it was back then.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIKhRERqPS4
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Oh, I have the 25th Anniversary Collection of these on DVD, along with a new one called, "I'm gonna send your vote to college", about the Electoral College here in the states. When I was a kid, I remember seeing a lot of the number videos. "Three is a Magic Number", "Good Eleven", "Figure Eight", "Lucky Seven Sampson" and "Naughty Number Nine". Along with others like "A Noun is a Person, Place or Thing", "Unpack Your Adjectives", "Interjections!" (which I always loved for the last line as the dejected cheerleader walks off- "Darn! That's the End.", "Interplanet Janet", "A Victim of Gravity" (in which an Elvis-like singer bemoans the fact that Gravity is always pulling things down), "I'm just a Bill" (I'm only a bill, sitting here on Capital Hill...), "No More Kings", "Mother Necessity", "The Shot Heard 'Round the World", and all those mentioned before. I know there was a parody of the "I'm Just a Bill" song done on "The Simpsons" as well.