Skip to content

Class Kit "Hit Die" Question

I noticed that in the Kit description for my Paladin it states "Hit Die: d10". What does this mean I thought that the hit die was always a d20 compared to THAC0-AC?

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited June 2014
    Hit Dice is to do with health.

When you level up a dice is rolled (eg: d10 in your Paladin's case, d4 for a Mage, etc) and this determines how many maximum hit points you gain.

Any bonus from you constitution score is added on top of this.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2014
    HD or Hit Die is the Health points. ;)

d10 means that the Paladin gets from 1-10 health points for the first 10 levels, without the bonus from Constitution, but it depends on the setting.

So a Paladin with 18 Constitution gets up to 14 HP. But after level 10 I think he gets only 3 HP.
    A Mage gets d4 so gets only 1-4 HP plus the Constitution bonus. But after level 10 he gets only 1 HP.

I would advise you read the manual to make sense of it and you will figure it out in the process.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Archaos said:

the Paladin gets from 1-10 health points for the first 10 levels.

But after level 10 he gets only 1 HP.

It's not precisely true. Fighters (including Paladins and Rangers) and Barbarians get 1d10 and 1d12 HP accordingly at levels 1-9. At the 10th level and every next level they get only +3 HP per level.

check http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Also worth noting, if your difficulty slider (on the "Options" - "Gameplay" page), is set to below "Core Rules" at level up, you always receive maximum HP...