Skip to content

Married to one weapon

2»

Comments

• Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424

One handed weapons are best utilized with either a shield, or an offhand second; but either option, makes you unable to equip the ranged weapon slot...

Not quite, @Demonoid_Limewire‌ - with a shield in the off-hand, you can still equip a dart, a sling, a throwing axe or a throwing dagger.
    But not a bow/crossbow and stuff, which are the only worthwhile ranged attack items for a character able to utilize shield (mostly warrior type classes)...
    bengoshi said:

Quarterstaff.

Crushing damage. Check.

Good range. Check.

Wonderful speed factor. Check.

To beat Sarevok with a stick. Check.

To have the most damage in BG1. Check.

To have the most damage in BG2. Check.

To have so many variations of this weapon in both games. Check.

Piercing damage, check, knockback/stun, check (the endgame +6 one of the Ram... It deals both bashing and piercing damage).
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

... a bow/crossbow and stuff, which are the only worthwhile ranged attack items for a character able to utilize shield (mostly warrior type classes)...

?? That's an absurd opinion, especially when it comes to some of the terrific one-handed ranged weapons you can find in BG2, and most especially for the ones which get STR bonuses to hit and damage, making them ideal for warrior classes. In BG1 there'd be a case for what you're saying (although still arguable), but we're having this discussion in the BG2 forum.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I agree with gallowglass. Thrown daggers have the same ROF as a bow, a way better speed factor, and do way more damage. The only thing about thrown weapons that makes them inferior to bows and xbows is the gif. The graphic display of a thrown dagger is fun to look at, but its so slow that by the time it makes contact the enemy is upon you or had already released a spell. Plus arrow selections are good.

Anyways, I think I will take a vanilla ranger...

Or a stalker.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Lateralus‌ Sounds like a good plan, there. I never thought of using fists. And your stats are (almost. You have .02 STR more.) the same as Theodoric, and he wiped the floor with the game. My one complaint is, poor Valdric, though. You called him stupid. =\ He's not stupid. In fact he's slightly above average intelligence.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    It... it never occured to me that there are people out there marrying their own weapon... sounds almost as entertaining as dating a blade spider, only less passioniate.
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    I ALWAYS get the Flail of Ages and Carsomyr.
    edited June 2014
    If you want a good longsword, get Angurvadal from the Githyanki Captain on Watcher's Keep, 4th level. Just a tip.
    I am having a blast on this BG1 run, best Bassilus fight ever!

Using the cav and doing what I call a hardcore plot run. No resurection, every npc found in bg2 must survive. So, the first thing I did was drop Imoen off at that Firebeard wizard guys house in beregost. She can study magic and hon her rogue skills in that area. I'll drop off Minsc, Dynaheir, jaheira, and Khalid in that area to watch over her.

Meanwhile, it's just Valdirc and Kivan and it's a deadly duo.

At level 3 I have:

2h sword**
    longsword**
    2h style*

The skeleton punching and dagger throwing is going very well, and my next 3 pips will max out 2W-fighting. At level 12 he will dual wield longswords like a boss.

Longview? Yes, Flail of Ages! And maybe that regenerating axe to if I can? That would be sick.
    [spoiler] Once you get that axe and upgrade it, you can decapitate people. It's dropped by a minotaur on the fourth level of Watcher's Keep.
    edited September 2014
    The Avengers are still running strong. Valdric (wants Gorion avenged), Kivan (wants his sweet Vaaawhateverhernamewas avenged), Dorn (keep your enemies close, he wants REvenge!), Branwen (dude turned her to stone, we got him back and then some). Working on Rassad quests, gonna be hard to keep him alive during finale. I had to let Dorn go so he dont die, and I can kill him early in BG2.

Love my Cavalier.

Bringing Alora and Baeloth along, can't wait to put the STR 19 belt on Alora and watch her backstab with the dagger of venom. At level 9 she will have a 19-20 crit, and a x4 multiplier, so her backstab damage range will be...40-104 plus poison. lol "I'll MAKE YOU HAPPY!"

EDIT: in case your curious her thac0 while backstabbing will be: 7!

Just was reminded that STR isn't added into the damage bonus while BSing. Dat makes me less happy.

Yikes.
    Post edited by Lateralus on