Skip to content

Married to one weapon

If you took a fighter, what weapon would you pump 5 pips into?

I like scimitars, but the 2-handed swords are epic. There are some great katanas too....

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @jackjack are you just looking at things in the proficiency list and saying that you love them?

Do you really love axes, or are you just saying it because you see them?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    Daggers. I would be the greatest dagger thrower in all the realms. Especially once I had Firetooth +3.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    That fighter would be dualled to mage pretty quick...
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    I'm going to be classic and say Fighter (Kensai kit) with Katanas.
  • knight1337knight1337 Member Posts: 32
    Eekeeper 5* in every weapon lol
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited June 2014
    Hammer. The dwarfs best friend in battle and art. Clerics and bards can use it too.
    And there's Crom Faeyr: just the adventure to get it worth the trouble.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    My first weapon in pen and paper D&D was a two handed axe, so I'd pick for that one, but it's not availble.
    My next choice is the long sword (and shield), if I'm playing blind. If I'm metagaming my choice is for the morning star / flail (dual wielding).
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Aww, @elminster beat me to it:/
    But anyway I love me some dagger. Always my first pip on a Mage, thief, ect.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Why hammers, of course.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I am thinking about a greatsword wielding half-orc fighter/thief who is evil, and will later dual wield daggers when backstabbing and speed is better served. That would cover my range attack, and my backstab weapon, and then switch to the big hurt machine.

A bard with a similar build, also a grand plan...
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I always wished to faux-dual-wield throwing daggers. like alternate arms when you throw.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Quarter staff.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Woo'ing the ladies.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Clubs. *deadly serious*

Okay, jokes aside, my number one is (surprisingly) bastard swords. They may not be great in the game, but I've always liked them, and I consider them one of the better members of the sword family. (in real life.) In game I can't say I use them much, however. They're just woefully lacking.

Other favorites of mine are dual daggers (none of this throwin' crap. ;p), hammers, axes, long swords, staves, longbows (shortbows if we're talking about practicality), flails, katanas, and halberds. So yeah. I like a lot of weapons.

Number one for flavour? Bastard swords.
    Number one for mechanics? Long swords.
    Dem swords.
    Not a lot of love for the short swords...
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Long swords. So many options! Use them with shields! The fact that I use them in real life. Whats not to love
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited June 2014
    Fighter cries: 2H swords. But that is only me i guess... And besides, Sarevok comes already with grandmastery to that. There are many great 2H swords. The silver one, the one found in sewers that talks to you, the one that makes you immune to illithid effects, the endgame ToB one... With them, you cannot go wrong, and i did not even mention the spider's bane in 1!!! Also, you can equip both it and a long ranged weapon together. One handed weapons are best utilized with either a shield, or an offhand second; but either option, makes you unable to equip the ranged weapon slot...
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

One handed weapons are best utilized with either a shield, or an offhand second; but either option, makes you unable to equip the ranged weapon slot...

Not quite, @Demonoid_Limewire‌ - with a shield in the off-hand, you can still equip a dart, a sling, a throwing axe or a throwing dagger.
    edited June 2014
    Alright. I've settled. I am going to take a Cavalier. He will tank, and so he will use a sheild. However, when it's time to bring about more damage, he will use a two-handed sword.

Level:profs

1:greatsword**/2-handed style*/mace*
    3:longsword*
    6:axe*
    9:axe**
    12:bastard sword*
    15:flail*
    18:warhammer*
    21:bastard sword**

Any suggestions?

EIDT: I don't know about maces...

Updated:

1:greatsword**/2-handed style*/warhammer*
    3:warhammer**
    6:bastard sword*
    9:longsword*
    12:flail/morningstar*
    15:axe*
    18:2-handed style**
    21:bastard sword**
    Post edited by Lateralus on
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited June 2014
    @Lateralus‌ http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31066/tips-for-a-solo-cavalier/p1

I don't know where in that thread it is, but I created a step by step process for proficiencies for a solo cavalier. If you want to know how effective he was in BG1, then...

Edit: page 2, towards the top of the page. Also there are tips and ideas for things beside weapons in that thread as well.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31093/the-journeys-of-theodoric-hero-of-the-sword-coast-solo-cavalier-playthrough/p1

I beat BG1 and plan to return some day for BG2. (The day may be closer than we realize...)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    How about godbow? I would marry that.
    edited June 2014
    Elrandir said:

@Lateralus‌ http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31066/tips-for-a-solo-cavalier/p1

I don't know where in that thread it is, but I created a step by step process for proficiencies for a solo cavalier. If you want to know how effective he was in BG1, then...

Edit: page 2, towards the top of the page. Also there are tips and ideas for things beside weapons in that thread as well.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31093/the-journeys-of-theodoric-hero-of-the-sword-coast-solo-cavalier-playthrough/p1

I beat BG1 and plan to return some day for BG2. (The day may be closer than we realize...)

Thanks, interesting thread.

One thing that nobody has considered in either thread, is punching. It's a free weapon proficiency, it's bludgeoning damage, the speed factor is probably very low (like a 0 I would wager), high str means 6 or 7 hp of damage per attack, and the only drawback is a +4 penalty to AC.

Here's my Cavalier:

Sir Valdric the Avenger

Str18/99
    Con18
    Dex18
    Cha18
    Wis13
    Int11

level 1 profs:
    2-H sword**
    2-H style*
    longsword*
    gauntlet*

I will punch skeletons, knock them all out then go around with a sword to finish them off. I'll punch spell casters to, especially clerics who wear armor that is susceptible to blunt weapons. The +4 penalty to AC does not matter if they are busy casting spells. Bassalus is gonna get knocked out!

Two-handed swords will be the preferred weapon throughout Valdric's campaign, only shunning it for a shield when defense is wiser. I'm not going to solo, so holding the line while my archers bring the enemy down is his primary function. He's the tank. The brave, stupid tank.

For me, it was between long and bastard swords for my traditional, knightly, one handed attack. There are some interesting bastard swords in the game, especially baldurans sword which is a must have when fighting lycanthropes. I figure I will use it with the -3 penalty and for all intents and purposes it will act as a bastard sword +1 with a +4 to damage vs. lycanthropes. So the island quest is still very doable. The bastard sword that is +3 vs. doppelgangers is nice, but I'll just use Spider's Bane anyways. The Dorn's quest bastard sword is also cool, but he's already immune to poison, so not a big deal.

There's a good +2 longsword early in the game, and decent ones to be found throughout the entire campaign. IN BG1 there is one that is +3 to undead, and later on a flametongue blade. Damage is pretty much the same as bastard swords but it's much faster. I could dual both longswords and really mow through some greater ghouls and skeleton warriors.

At levels 3, 6, and 9 (bg2) I will take Two-Weopon Style***. This will set the stage for a variety of options into the high levels.

A word about throwing axes, daggers, and hammers. My missile attack bonus is -2, and -3 when I get to Baldur's Gate. So the non-prof penalty is not a big deal, especially since those weapons ALSO add in your str modifier. So I can still throw stuff throughout the game with a decent chance to hit.

At levels 12, 15, 18, and 21 I will really round out this character with 2 pips into flails, 1 for axes, and 1 for hammers.

I will do a hardcore run on normal difficulty, so if me or Imeon die, restart it all.

My playing style will again, be to protect my friends. Especially Imoen. It will be just her and Valdric until they hit level 6 and then I'll recruit others, help them with their quests, but then leave them behind. Keeping the party small. The end game will probably be Valdric, Imoen, Kiven, Branwen, and Alora. The later 3 don't even make cameos in BG2 so if they die in the finale it wont require a do-over.