Skip to content

[Not an Issue] Audio distortion during cutscenes

FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
During cutscenes certain types of audio will cause massive distortion. This was noticed during each Intro video for BG2: EE, ToB and The Black Pits 2.

Does anyone else experience this?
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Could be an issue with the openAL driver...
    Are you on PC? If so this may help you. If not get back to us! :)

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip
    lolien
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited June 2014
    That URL is invalid, regardless I'm pretty confident I have the latest version that the Creative website offers, installed already. There is a v2.1.0.0 that is not on that website though, but I don't seem to have them installed.

openal32.dll v6.14.357.24
    wrap_oal.dll v2.2.0.5
    CaloNord
    As far as I'm aware that is the latest version. It's worth a shot running the reinstall, it fixed my fiancee's version which had stuttering unreliable audio. Now we just need to fix the annoying flashing screen.
    Anyway, give it shot. I'll keep searching until someone smarter and more knowledgeable then I comes along. ;)
    Yeah I tried installing the latest again, the file versions didn't change and the issue persists. It isn't static/distortion throughout the entire video, it's specific parts of it like explosions in the Throne of Bhaal intro.
    CaloNord
    Unusual, I'll keep looking into it and get back to you if I find/figure anything out. ;)
    edited June 2014
    I can confirm the videos do play perfectly fine in Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Intel i7 920
    ASUS P6T
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
    Auzentech Forte Soundcard
    Windows 7 x64
    This seems to be resolved in v1.3?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    That's good news @Franpa thanks for advising.
    Actually, it still happens. It doesn't do it for the intro cutscenes but for the cutscene when you first visit The Friendly Arm Inn it will crackle a bit for a short duration as the video starts and then the crackling will stop.
    edited August 2014
    Is that for the first second or two @Franpa‌ - want to make sure I'm looking at the same thing.
    Thanks

& I don't think that is distortion.
    The original clip had a drawbridge opening with a crash as the music changes. Enhanced Edition appears to have cut the drawbridge sound out but to keep the music score the final moment of the drawbridge is retained. Happy to be proved incorrect on this but that's what it sounds like to me.
    Yeah, the first 2 or so seconds it crackles a fair bit then the crackle disappears. Other cutscenes like the intro to the games and resting at an Inn, don't exhibit the issue so far.
    Going to mark this as not an issue unless advised otherwise.
    Thanks
    From the looks of it it seems to only distort for the first 2~ seconds during cutscenes that occur immediately after loading a new area, such as the cutscene that plays the first time you visit the Friendly Arm Inn area. So I assume the issue is related to stuff still loading in the background or some such.