Skip to content

F/I Robe of Archmagi vs Shied or Armor Spell

First off, I have come to the conclusion that there is no need to waste a slot on the Armor spell. Shield is vastly superior. Sure it doesn't last as long, but one or two will essentially last in each area. With travel times, moving between areas the Armor spell usually runs out anyways. Plus, there is the shield amulet.

With that said, I barely have enough for the Robe of the Archmagi. I headed to High Hedge to test it. I get one AC better with Shield. The robe is quite expensive. I guess the benefit is it frees up level spells for other spells?

How many stick with spells for armor vs the robe for their F/M?

Comments

• TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    My puny wizards rarely see combat anyway, but sometimes I'll take pity and buy them a comfort blanket... I mean robe. Casting Armor/Shield is too much hassle for me.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Shield v Armor at low levels depends where I am and what I'm expecting to face. If I plan on fully exploring a map for instance, or say the mines in Nashkel, I prefer armor simply due to duration and limited level 1 spell selection.

Usually by the time you can afford the Robes you want, your shield will last long enough that should you want to keep up a defensive spell as well shield's the better option. Early on though, I definitely prefer armor.

Disclaimer: My little mage somehow doesn't learn this difference until after the FAI. Amazing how said mage just happens to have a shield spell ready for a nasty mage ambush who loves him some Magic Missile after fearing you.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I do believe the Armor spell acts like AC Bracers in that it will not stack with actual body armor. Shield will have more longevity. I prefer that, and oddly Prot Evil... well, sorta. Does Prot Evil from a mage stack with the paladin/cleric version like it does in IWD?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Dazzu said:

Does Prot Evil from a mage stack with the paladin/cleric version like it does in IWD?

No
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    The Robes are better than Shield or Armor (in my opinion). Whenever I can, I try to grab one.

[spoiler] Of course, wait until you get to BG2. Then you get the Robe of Vecna. That thing makes wizards unstoppable.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    For my games, I find the best defense is prevention. What I mean by that is, my mages stay WAY the heck out of combat when at all possible. That's why they hire warriors to guard them.

On balance though, I don't break the bank to get the robe "As early as possible". there are other things that are much higher priority purchases early on. So I wait till it is appropriate and I have excess the cash.

So I do find it is nice to have an Armor spell handy "Just in case". You go into someplace where you suspect that there might be arrows flying around, better safe than sorry.

I hadn't given much thought to shield, although I suspect the benefit is that it blocks MM, so.... Might be worth looking into. Good call.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    edited July 2014
    Don't forget that Shield provides an extra 2 ac vs missiles. Very handy against those pesky kobold and bandit ambushes early on.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Spirit Armor out does both of them in pretty much every way. Longer duration, more saving throws, WAY more AC. That said, I always get the robe when I can. For me it is better than Shield.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I use the Shield spell on earlier levels. By the time I get the Archmage robes I have mirror image which for me works better. I'm not usually getting shot at for long anyway. ;) Personally I prefer the extra offensive magic. :) Can't fire arrows at me when they are a smoldering carcass.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @CaloNord‌

I still like keeping a shield handy even with Arch Magi robes. Just that extra AC bonus and immunity to Magic Missile is golden