Skip to content

Account Name, what's your story?

Comments

• sphexussphexus Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2012
    This one isn't very old. Have used a finnish nickname for ages but then I started playing Tribes: Ascend and didn't like the sound of the old one. Had to invent something more FPS-like and I took a liking to this new one. Since then have been in use around the 'net. Sphexus originated from my brand new Razer Sphex mousepad so there isn't very much imagination behind this one. Sphex was taken everytime so I mended it to Sphexus. Always liked the sound of X in names. :)
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    And here I was thinking you were referencing the old Quest for Glory series by Sierra.

Well, I´m a NWN custom content creator, builder and baba yaga stands for the darker side of the medieval tales. The tales from eastern europe and russia has a special charm of it´s own for me, a much darker undertone which I like and prefer. See the old movies from czech and the woods alone are frightening at times... Also I´m pretty brutal, can be a heated troll and knocks you off your socks silly:D

• SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    Sall Paradise, easy if we have any readers out there.

Jack Kerouac wrote "On the Road" in the late 50's. The name for the character (that was basically him) was Sal Paradise. Name was taken on some other forums back in the day, so I just added an L
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    reed = last name
    mil = military
    fam = family
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Tr_ond said:

My RL name, from the old Norse name Tróndr meaning To grow/to thrive. Got the nickname Tr.Ond in 4th grade because i was a complete shit, Ond means Evil.

Guessing you're Norwegian then? Don't think our other Scandinavian neighbours use it. Huh. Trond er ond, sounds like some rhyme you'd hear in school. Guess it got old quick huh :P
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77

Carnifex is Latin for executioner. I once was a head moderator at a certain site and I basically was the executioner (bans, etc.). Then I found that Carnifex was used in many, many places, not because people knew what it meant, but because it apparently was a weapon in Warhammer 40k or something like that. So I added "Sir" so it'd be different. Also, at the one site, it stood for Sysops in Residence. lol

RoI?

I got my name from a random name generator. I know, I'm boring.

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Mine is based off making my first paladin in World of Warcraft. At the time I had been playing a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics and really loved Dragoons. This was the first variant on that I could find that wasn't taken.

My original forum handle was HurrikanEagle (if anyone here trolls the BG or BG2 boards at gamefaqs SURPRISE). That was because I love hurricanes and I am a former marine (eagle, globe and anchor). That is the basis of the 2 main forum tags I use and Dragonspear will always be the name of my paladin esque MMO characters. But I use different names for my D&D/Dragon Age/Mass Effect characters.
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    A long long time ago i can still remember,.. *sing* oh no ,.. ;-)
    -
    Searching for a Name for hours as a jung boy (good damn time,..) i was desperate.
    Until i locked on my new Magic the Gathering Deck -> the name was HerrderGezeiten and it was setteld.

• CheOffshoreCheOffshore Member Posts: 27
    because im Chris and I live/work at sea :)
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    I am called Silence in an ironic way because I talk all the time.
    Fredjo
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Mine is from the french comic Metal Hurlant which was released in the US as Heavy Metal. I always liked the original french title.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Quartz; my chao from Sonic Adventure 2: Battle from when I was like 8. I have gone by Quartz or "quartzlcc" on every single forum, website, and everything else since.
  • NazgulUFNazgulUF Member Posts: 8
    I would be sad if people didn't know where Nazgul came from. They were scary as hell as a kid (and thus my favorite bad guys. Dementors are wannabes).

Nazgul is also taken as a name, so I add UF. It is my alma mater.

Go Gators!!!
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    They're my initials. I'm pretty uncreative, and didn't want to use my usual fantasy name Mystandir because I thought I might forget it.
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    So many of the LOTR names are straight out of Norse mythology, so I did a little google work to come up with one that is obscure enough that it likely isn't being used by anyone else. Munin is one of two giant ravens that bring news of the nine worlds to Odin. Huginn (Thought) and Munin (Memory). And the Keldorn pick seemed to fit. He should have more memories than most other mortals.
  • NancyButtpeachNancyButtpeach Member Posts: 38
    My name is Nancy Buttpeach in real life.

Actually, it is a name my friend thought of for a quarterback in Gameday 1999. I used it in college as my Madden quarterback and now with my nephews when we play football games on consoles. He is always 7 feet tall, weighs 400 pounds, has a huge butt and maximum stats.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Mine's a song written by John McLaughlin and dedicated to his mentor; the Visionary of Visionaries, the Prince of Darkness, the champion of unfettered freedom, creativity and vitality, Miles Davis.

Fun fact: Unlike later musicians to bear the title, Miles was called the Prince of Darkness because of his whispering voice and the nocturnal quality of his music.
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Use pablo nick but usually occupied by someone my so i adds number that is my date of birth. My real name is Paul.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I've been gaming for the majority of my life, and I have a short mental list of names that I use. Few are somewhat common in Medieval-Fantasy settings, few I have taken from characters that I admire, and most are names that I very painstakingly created, often spending a large amount of time (Too much, perhaps) to perfect.

My current name is inspired by Lord Anduine Lothar, my favourite character in the WarCraft universe. I use this name for Warriors and Paladins.
  • DelinomDelinom Member Posts: 46
    Delinom is a character from Celesty's "Reign of Elements". A really kick-ass power metal concept album, let me add.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I dare say most people who have played Baldur's Gate a few times will know where I got my name from. Permidion Stark is a thief you are likely to bump into early in the game. He is planning to pull off "the greatest heist of all time" by breaking into Thalantyr's place at High Hedge but then talks himself out of it.

It's one of those nice little encounters that crop up all through the game and which help make BG such a joy to play.

I like the fact that his name doesn't appear to mean anything but still sounds like a real name. Plus I get to use a BG thief as my icon.

SwordsNotWords
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    My friends call me Djimmy/Jimmy. That's why I decided to be Djimmy in this forum.
  • DougPiranhaDougPiranha Member Posts: 50
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496

Tr_ond said:

My RL name, from the old Norse name Tróndr meaning To grow/to thrive. Got the nickname Tr.Ond in 4th grade because i was a complete shit, Ond means Evil.

Guessing you're Norwegian then? Don't think our other Scandinavian neighbours use it. Huh. Trond er ond, sounds like some rhyme you'd hear in school. Guess it got old quick huh :P
    Aye I`m Norwegian ;) and no, it didn`t get old. It just gave me more people to beat up which is what i liked to do at the time, as i said. i was a complete shit. I`m all better now hehe.
  • DarsidianDarsidian Member Posts: 10
    From BG2, maybe you remember him or maybe you don't....I won't tell.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Darsidian said:

From BG2, maybe you remember him or maybe you don't....I won't tell.

Aaaah! You monster! Diiiiiieeee!

Thanks for providing us with an easy quest with nice xp though and letting us trash that git from the Bridge District.
  • buttersworthbuttersworth Member Posts: 9
    Was creating a new account somewhere about four years ago and all my usual names were taken so I just typed the first name that came into my mind. After that it just kinda stuck. Guess I'd been studying too much electronics. Really happy I added the extra s though. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterworth_filter)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694

Mine is based off making my first paladin in World of Warcraft. At the time I had been playing a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics and really loved Dragoons. This was the first variant on that I could find that wasn't taken.

My original forum handle was HurrikanEagle (if anyone here trolls the BG or BG2 boards at gamefaqs SURPRISE). That was because I love hurricanes and I am a former marine (eagle, globe and anchor). That is the basis of the 2 main forum tags I use and Dragonspear will always be the name of my paladin esque MMO characters. But I use different names for my D&D/Dragon Age/Mass Effect characters.

There's a place in the Realms called "Dragonspear Castle" as well. For a while it was taken over by fiends, and is one of the published adventures "The Hordes of Dragonspear".

My name comes from back in the AOL forums. At the time, I was into good-guy vampire books (Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Saint-Germain being one of them), so I took the name Vampire1 on the forums. Eventually, I developed a real name and backstory for my character that I was playing on the RPG board (places like the Red Dragon Inn or RDI). Anyhow, I wound up losing my access for a while, and lost my old account, so I had to make a new one with a new name. And I used the name I had created for my character, LadyRhian, short for Rhiannon Sian Emyr, a Welsh lady who had become a vampire. And that has been my AOL screen name ever since. I also use variations of it on other sites. I am LadyRhianwriter on DeviantArt, for example. And my Avatar here is a commissioned work of Rhiannon Sian Emyr that I had done for me by an Artist named Melissa Findley on Deviantart. (She spelled the last name wrong, though, as Emrys, another Welsh name, this one male.)
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    Mine is based off my first love. Alot of people referred to us as Romeo and Juliet without the tragedy. But lol, her mom hated me, and eventually convinced our parents to keep us apart. We were limited on time when we were at school because i was trying to respect her parents even if i didn't agree with her. Would still found a way to talk on the phone, but anyways....

During this time, before the tragedy came, i started to have a series of dreams where i was othello and had to fight though an army of darth vader's which looked like her dad when decapitated, and Jabba the huts, who had the face of her mom. There were others but those were the mains. They stood between me and my love, and this was a very much reoccurring dream. The name comes from the last of the dreams, where i finally made it to my love, and she called me sir Bjjorick, rather then my real name. Probably lame, but holds a very special place in my heart even after all these years.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I just modified Blackguard to RedGuard. I was struggling for something new, but related to BG and I like the colour red.