Skip to content

Clubs: A legitimate option throughout game?

Are clubs a legitimate option to wield throughout the game?
Just wondering because I am about to begin my first (real) play-through after going through the introduction level.

Comments

• TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    You may not be able find all the magical weapons during your first playthrough, but I would say that every weapon type is legitimate throughout the game.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I'm sure its doable. But just be warned, that is probably the single weakest weapon choice available. There are only a handful of magic clubs in the entire series. That doesn't mean there are none (!), but you will see a lot of good magic weapons you don't want until you find what you're looking for.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SirWillisSirWillis Member Posts: 2
    Okay thanks!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Its definitely a choice of weapon that you get kind of crummy options particularly in BG1/BGEE. Its not until BG2 that they end up being at least good (and only because you can get good enchanted ones early into the game and they'll work against most enemies).
    Blackraven
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Clubs r best wepon. Too OP. Plz nerf.
    (In case you didn't guess, that's sarcasm.)
    The others are right, clubs aren't the best weapons by any means. But a legitimate option? Definitely.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Cleric/Thief likes them. It's the only single handed backstabbing weapon they can equip.
    Blackraven
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I don't even remember seeing a magical club in the first game. Second gives you some pretty good ones early around Trademeet, so I'd consider them useable then. Actually, my current runthrough is a Swashbuckler/Cleric who dual-wields clubs because they're the only one-handed cleric weapon she can specialize in. Still, I'd like to know what class you're planning on using, because there are better options for pretty much any class with few exceptions.
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    edited August 2014

I don't even remember seeing a magical club in the first game.

Off the top of my head there's at least a +1 and a +2, but since spoiler tags don't seem to work here, I won't tell you where.

I tend to give Jaheira clubs until she hits level 6 and I can put the second pip in Scimitars.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I don't even remember seeing a magical club in the first game. Second gives you some pretty good ones early around Trademeet, so I'd consider them useable then. Actually, my current runthrough is a Swashbuckler/Cleric who dual-wields clubs because they're the only one-handed cleric weapon she can specialize in. Still, I'd like to know what class you're planning on using, because there are better options for pretty much any class with few exceptions.

Magical clubs only appear in the enhanced edition of the game, not in the original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    When you decide to play a stalker/cleric, you'll be using clubs all right.

(quarterstaves also work)
    JuliusBorisovRAM021
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Clubs are pretty good weapons overall, even better with certain mods (pitchwife ring a bell with anyone?). One of the silliest strategies in the game with Jaheira involves giving her more than 100% Fire Resist and equipping her with the Rod of Detonation club.