Skip to content

Random thoughts on the Randomizer

jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
So in my next play-through of BG1 I'm nervously taking the dive into SCS (we'll see what kind of disaster this turns out to be lol). I'm skeptical but I'm sold on the quality of it just from studying the readme file. What I'm not so sold on is the Randomizer. I LOVE the idea in principle. What could give the game more longevity than randomizing the loot?? But then as I was crafting the Flail of the Ages in BG2 this morning, I thought to myself, "What happens to this in a randomized game??" It seems like many situations in the BG Saga are set up half expecting you to have certain items at your disposal. It's meant to add challenge and surprise, but I have to wonder....is the Randomizer simply a good idea in theory, or does it actually live up to it's potential when actually used??

Comments

• SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    Am torn myself, I love the randomization of dropped items, but hate that it moves vendor items around. FoA was in my case in its original place
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, it seems like it definitely rewards the player who wants to explore EVERYTHING every time, and I am sort of that way, but how does this work with spells?? Are they simply randomized between High Hedge/Sorcerous Sundries etc?? Does what would normally be sold from the smith in Bergerost show up on a random innkeeper?? I can see this being manageable in BG1 but it seems like it would be a nightmare in BG2, which is massively larger.

Edit: Slightly off topic, but if anyone has a quick answer....I've been reading about the massive number of scripts required in SCS....does this slow the game down substantially??
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2014

Edit: Slightly off topic, but if anyone has a quick answer....I've been reading about the massive number of scripts required in SCS....does this slow the game down substantially??

Some area loading times increase, yes. Especially when a high lvl mage spawns, with a simulacrum and/or project image, the game freezes for up to 4-5 seconds to load the extremely long and detailed scripts. Generalised biffing mod helps immensely to reduce lag and loading times. Scs is fantastic and well worth the effort, though. Enemies behave almost like a very smart human being thinking on his feet and adapting to your actions. Reccomended.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    I wouldn't recommend using Generalized Biffing in a BG(2)EE installation yet. The current WeiDU version (v236) contains a critical bug which corrupts certain kinds of tileset (TIS) files. If you encounter heavy graphical glitches or crashes when entering a new area, then Generalized Biffing might be the cause.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    How does it work on BG:EE?? Or should we just wait for the patches in this case??
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I play scs on Ipad. No Generalised Biffing. My Ipad2 is not a monster machine, but it works the game very well. Only the Red Wizard Enclave in Waukeen's Promenade was slightly annoying:the loading time took more than half a minute each time I entered the building or had to reload a battle! This is because there are a lot of high level mages there, I think. The longest loading time is 4-5 seconds in other areas generally, and instantenous in most low population areas.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433

How does it work on BG:EE?? Or should we just wait for the patches in this case??

It's already fixed in the current WeiDU source code, but you'll still have to wait for the next official WeiDU version.

As far as I can tell, BG(2)EE does not suffer as much from too many files in your override folder, so you can safely skip GB.