Skip to content

Most Challenging Battle

ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
I haven't played Throne of Bhaal in ages, so I've forgotten the Mellisan lines (most of them anyway). So here is a poll to replace it. Who do you feel in the most challenging major battle in BG2?
Major Battle= Battle with a Boss. I understand other fights (Like the Final Seal battle) are challenging, but I would still consider them a Moderate Battle, because they are not, in fact, bosses.
  1. Most Challenging Battle38 votes
    1. Irenicus at the Tree of Life
        2.63%
    2. Irenicus in Hell
        2.63%
    3. Bodhi
        2.63%
    4. Kangaxx
      21.05%
    5. Demogorgon
      26.32%
    6. Yaga-Shura
        7.89%
    7. Abazigal
        7.89%
    8. Sendai
        0.00%
    9. Balthazar
        2.63%
    10. Amelyssan The Blackhearted (Mellisan)
      26.32%

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm not sure if the final battle was really the hardest for me, though. The first thing that came to mind when I read the question was the Ravager. That one kept me reloading more than I ever have any where else in the game.

A close runner up to the Ravager would be that party of creatures down by the final seal at the bottom of Watcher's Keep.

On the other hand, the final battle with Amelyssan was pretty tough for me. I had to set the difficulty slider to easy to beat it, because on any higher setting I kept getting overwhelmed by elder orbs. I had to use trap cheese to soften up Big Amy, too.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    I never thought about The Ravenger. I wish it could give me more spaces. But I never had a problem with The Ravager.
    I just beat him to death, it was more time consuming than hard.
    Amelyssan on the other hand, was levels more difficult, and I've never been able to kill Demogorgon without cheating.
    Also let's not forget Balthazar, Demogorgon, and Amelyssan are all immune to Time Stop
    I also already said that the Final Seal didn't count, as it isn't a Boss Battle, and neither is the Ravenger now that I think about it.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I usually play vanilla, since I dislike cheap difficulty level and I am usually not using cheap tactics against. But from all vanilla boss fight the thrid round vs. Amelyssan gave me trouble due to insane numbers of minions she spawned.

In my opinion, Kangaxx shouldn't be here. He's not a boss, he's just a cheap opponent. As a Demilitch he's weaker than generic demilitch in ToB. That's two. Finally, he's so cheap its "either you can own him without problem, or he can you" due to the fact that he can Imprison you.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @DJ_Sweatz_2013‌ , I'm sorry, I just read the big title that said "Most Challenging Battle" and didn't read the fine print carefully. You may want to consider changing the title to "Most Challenging Boss Battle".

Any way, under that criterion, it was definitely Amelyssan for me.
    @BelgarathMTH that's Fine. It's understandable
    @ZelgadisGW I can understand that, but from the game's perspective. Kangaxx is intended to be a boss
    @DJ_Sweatz_2013‌ More like a secret/bonus boss then because he's irrevelant to the plot.
    @ZelgadisGW Point taken.
    ZELGADIS WINS!
    FATALITY!
    Flaweless Victory!
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2014
    Kangaxx, obviously! I am going to stick with my trusted, old pal and tough customer, on this one! Guy's a terminator. Especially at the point you can (accidentally or not) cross his path. Or fight him without knowing what to expect. This cosplay freak, closet pervert, is a japanese anime monster. I mean, when you beat him, he transforms himself into a second morph, more powerful and able to kill you and your party in no time at all...

Amellysan and her lackeys are cheap fodder, especially if you equip the gnome's inventions, you get in return for trading the 3 pantaloons with him...
    Post edited by Demonoid_Limewire on
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited August 2014
    Kangaxx is a pushover. You can beat him at level ten with a Mage and a sun should monk. Just grab rasaad for the trip and your fine. I've only beaten amallisan once and that was some with this much spike trap cheese:
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I have to say demogorgon because , no matter what level you are, you ALWAYS have to pre-buff hard before fighting it.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    This poll seems incomplete without Draconis. Running away, spamming invisibility, summoning meatshields, and healing himself? It's an NPC that fights like a PC! That's just not natural!
    DJKajuru said:

I have to say demogorgon because , no matter what level you are, you ALWAYS have to pre-buff hard before fighting it.

Before Fighting HIM. Demogorgon is a him, not an it. Demogorgon is the self proclaimed Prince of Demons, when in actuality he is just one of several Demon Princes (He and Orcus are considered two of the most powerful though), and rules the 88th Layer of the Abyss.

WOO-HOO! Using what little lore I actually know ftw!

@Abi_Dalzim I don't considere Draconis a boss, but I agree that he IS harder than Abazigal.

• InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108
    I've just beat the game for the first time on Normal so I might just be talking crap here, but all Bhaalspawn were kind of easy for my party. The hardest of them all was Abazigal and he only took 3 reloads. I killed Demogorgon on the second try and the Ravager too. Amelyssan took me an hour of reloads and many, many potions.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @DJ_Sweatz_2013 , you've been rewarded with an "insightful" for that useful piece of lore.
    @DJKajuru Thank you
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Dagon is way better... he can destroy an entire army just by being visible. :o hooray for avoiding the truly ancient horror of the depths! Stolen from the very best!

In BG, probably Aec. But in BG2, I'd go with Draconis. Bosses only you say?! Hmmm... Vanilla Yaga gave me grief my first play through, via his swarms and my not dealing with them well. None of the others were too bad. The others werent too bad, nothing Sarevok couldnt manhandle.
    @‌DreadKhan
    I am releasing a Poll for that in a few weeks, I've been warned not to "spam" the Discussion Box with constant polls, so I cannot make a poll for a few more weeks, you shall have to wait until then to vote, or make your own poll :P
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I found the ravager to be the hardest battle of my most recent run, come to think of it. It took me days to beat, and I then proceeded to chunk amalissan with 6 spike traps and a wish spell.
    I felt bad about it though, so that makes it better...
  • InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108
    The extreme difficulty increase of the Ascension mod makes me fear Amelyssan even more. Especially due to the fact I'll be forced to play it if I want to try out the Redemption mod....
    (In Ascension, instead of fighting elemental princes and a Fallen Solar, you fight Irenicus and Bodhi, and the other Bhaalspawn as her summons I think. Anyway, it's a lot more painstakingly hard :p).
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201

Before Fighting HIM. Demogorgon is a him, not an it. Demogorgon is the self proclaimed Prince of Demons, when in actuality he is just one of several Demon Princes (He and Orcus are considered two of the most powerful though), and rules the 88th Layer of the Abyss.

WOO-HOO! Using what little lore I actually know ftw!

I hate to break it to ya, but according to FR lore found at http://tinyurl.com/274yo2r, Demogorgon actually is an "it":

Demogorgon appears as an 18-foot-tall (5.5 m), reptilian (or amphibious) hermaphroditic tanar'ri with a somewhat humanoid form.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    None of the posted above, those I've dealt with fairly easy.

What usually kills me is that damn mercenary band in the Athkalta sewers.. >.<
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Khyron said:

What usually kills me is that damn mercenary band in the Athkalta sewers.. >.<</p>

I feel like those guys are a lot easier if you just split them up a little, and hopefully kill the mage before he can screw you over. Pre-emptive Skull Trap will do most of the work on that last bit.

Khyron said:

What usually kills me is that damn mercenary band in the Athkalta sewers.. >.<</p>

Not a Boss, but I've had trouble with it too.
    Awong124 said:

Shank and Carbos.

That's a joke right?

• MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    Are the bosses in their Ascension versions? Because I fail to see how Abazigal can be listed but Draconis is absent. In the vanilla game I was forced to have my up until then goody-two shoes sorcerer use the Slayer just to beat him while Abazigal was a bigger pushover than Kangaxx with protection from undead and repeated usage of sunray.
    Mhamza said:

Are the bosses in their Ascension versions? Because I fail to see how Abazigal can be listed but Draconis is absent. In the vanilla game I was forced to have my up until then goody-two shoes sorcerer use the Slayer just to beat him while Abazigal was a bigger pushover than Kangaxx with protection from undead and repeated usage of sunray.

Because Draconis is NOT a boss. And no, we are talking about Vanilla or BG2:EE. No Mods, No Ascension.