Skip to content

Battle In The Pits (A Role-Played Black Pits Adventure)

ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
So put simply, I wanted to take a crack at doing a role-played play-through of the Black Pits. First of all, here's the team:

Paladin (Cavalier):
Name: Vivienne Lightbringer
Stats:
STR 18/75
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 12
WIS 13
CHA 18
Bio: Vivienne is a relatively young paladin of Torm. She was born to parents who were both paladins, and she never questioned the fact that she would follow their path. She took to the path with exceptional skill (I was planning for a 93. Then I rolled a 97) and has proven herself a talented member of the order. While resting at the order’s headquarters, she was abducted in the night. She will strive to lead this group with wisdom and skill, and keep the whole team safe in their journeys.

Ranger/Cleric
Name: Eryk
Stats:
STR 18/65
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 12
WIS 18
CHA 11
Bio: Eryk grew up in a house divided. His mother was a druid, and his father was a cleric of Lothander. Before running away at age 14, Eryk was forced to deal with many arguments over religion. Despite his hatred of these arguments, much of the philosophy of both parents seeped in to him, and in the end he chose a path that neither of his parents would have ever considered. He became a ranger/cleric. He worships both Mielikki and Lothander, and despises the undead with a passion, while believing in the sanctity of nature. His views on good and evil have come mostly from his father, however, and he does not believe in “true balance” like his mother did. He chooses to fight for justice, though most of his life has been spent communing with nature and hunting the undead. He was grabbed in the night as he slept under a tree, and he longs to escape his gladiatorial prison and flee back to the woods which he so loves.

Monk:
Name: Crimson Drake
Stats:
STR 18
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 12
WIS 12
CHA 10
Bio: Crimson was born a peasant in a small kingdom, and her life was a hard one. Forced to work long hours in the hot sun despite her youth, she was practically resigned to a life of sorrow and early death. One day, however, she saw two men, dressed plainly, walking towards her father and mother. She thought little of this at first, but the four of them talked for what seemed like hours before the two men handed her father a sack of gold and came to her. Her father told her that these were her new brothers, and they would take her someplace where she didn’t have to work in the fields anymore. She didn’t understand what was going on and thought she had been bought by slavers, and so tried to run away. The men showed an incredible agility and caught her, however, slinging her over their shoulders and carrying her away, though they tried to comfort her with their words. All the while she cried out for her parents, half cursing them for selling her, and half begging for their help. Her cries were meaningless, however, as the men carried her away. Eventually she cried herself to sleep, and when she awoke she lay in a soft bed in a stone room. She soon came to learn that her parents had sold her to a temple, where a group of monks lived. They added to their numbers by purchasing children from peasants, so as to help the parents, the children, and themselves. While the life was far more comfortable than she had experienced before, she was still forced to work, training her body and mind. Her name had been Crimson, due to her hair, but now she was given the last name of “Drake” as well, as this temple was known as the drake temple. These monks were her family now, and family they were. She grew strong, and excelled at the things she was taught. She chose to don crimson robes instead of the simple brown ones her fellow monks wore, and became known as the “crimson dragon”. She is a force to be reckoned with, and while kind, she appears incredibly intimidating to strangers. While on a mission to assist a small village near the temple, she was abducted. The monks at her temple worry for her, for the village was burned to the ground and Crimson’s corpse was nowhere to be found.

Bard:
Name: Jiro
Stats:
STR 18
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 18
WIS 4
CHA 15
Bio: Jiro is a human bard from Kara-Tur. He was originally the son of a noble and was trained in the art of fighting with a katana, however his father was assassinated and he was forced to leave his home. He had always been gifted with music, and so became a traveling musician. He has traveled for many years, but his road has always been peaceful. He’s talented, but quite unwise, having never been forced to do much but wander, fight off weak foes, and perform. Picked from the road while traveling, he has been thrust into the arena. Time will tell how he fares.

Fighter/Mage/Thief
Name: Hawke
Stats:
STR 18/98
DEX 19
CON 17
INT 18
WIS 6
CHA 9
Bio: Hawke is a drunk, a lecher, and a scumbag, but da** if he isn’t good. While he may be almost as foolish as Jiro, he’s more skilled than any of the rest of the group. He’s stronger than Vivienne, faster than Crimson, and as smart as Jiro. Not to mention he’s more multi-talented than anyone. He can hold his own on the battlefield, in a dungeon, or in a bar, and he’s seen more of the world than any of the others. No one knows much about him, however, as he says little of his past, other than that he’s traveled the world far and wide and seen more marvels and ales than anyone. He figures he was captured by Baeloth because Baeloth wanted a drinking buddy. He wields bastard swords, which he says is an intentional pun, and whether you hate him or not, he doesn’t care. He’ll grin his goofy grin, wink, and laugh.

Sorcerer
Name: Mira
Stats:
STR 12
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 12
WIS 12
CHA 15
Bio:
Mira is an unusual mage. She’s neither terribly smart, terribly well trained, nor terribly high-class. She was born as the daughter of an elven blacksmith in a small village. From a young age she found she had magical powers, which she thought was interesting enough, but she never indulged them. She enjoyed her life as an attractive young elf woman in a small town. She was to be married to a handsome young cobbler, but the week before her wedding she disappeared. No one knew what had happened, and many wonder if some creature could have taken her in the night.

And here's the opening part of the story. I'll update more tomorrow, but for now I'm just going to post this.

Prologue:

The group appeared in the pit, looking around in utter confusion. Suddenly Jiro pointed and yelled “Monsters!” The group spun around to see three Tasloi charging them. There were crude weapons laying on the ground at the group’s feet, and they quickly grabbed them and prepared to fight.The battle was over quickly, and a djinn appeared, saying that they “qualified” before teleporting them again. They next awoke in a large circular room and slowly stood up as they heard a high pitched voice say “What’s next? Ah! This group. Are they awake yet? Up! Rouse yourselves, you lice-laden layabouts. Stand up and salute your new master, Baeloth the Entertainer!” The group looked up to see a grinning drow standing there, wearing exquisite robes. “Who?..” Vivienne asked. The drow outright ignored her and continued talking. “You may also thank me, since your meaningless lives are about to become infinitely more exciting and quite likely… abbreviated. You have been brought here by an unlucky roll of the die. Well, unlucky for you. Gather some equipment, gird your loins, and prepare to fight. Najim, my obedient slave, take care of them. And don’t forget to give them a little spending money!” With this the djinn reappeared and began to speak. “As my master commands, take these coins. Speak with the dealers gathered here to equip yourselves. Once you are prepared, report to Master Baeloth. Do not attempt to escape lest he command me to snuff out your life.” “Where are we?! What’s going on?! I demand an explanation!” cried Vivienne, now quite furious from being ignored before. The djinn spoke again, no emotion visible on his face. “You have been summoned to this island fortress by Baeloth. We are in a complex known as the Black Pits, dug by Duergar slaves. You are to fight in the battle pits for the amusement of Baeloth’s guests. I have answered your questions, now prepare for battle.” The group looked at each other and sighed. “It seems we have no choice.” Jiro said. Crimson piped up. “Wait! Baeloth said you are his slave. Together we could rise up against him!” Najiim looked down, almost sadly, before responding. “I am bound by an undying geas. Otherwise, I would have slaughtered Baeloth long ago.” Baeloth, now at the edge of the room, turned his head and grinned. “I can heeeeeear you!” Najiim paid him no mind. “Prepare yourself for battle, mortal. When you are ready to face your fate, speak with Baeloth.” Hawke shrugged, grinned, and said “I don’t like it, but I can feel the effects of the geas too. Might as well comply for now.” With this, the djinn disappeared and the group went to the bedrooms to rest and talk. They talked for nearly an hour, sharing each other’s backgrounds, abilities, and opinions on these circumstances. Eventually the group decided that Vivienne was the most qualified to lead them, as she had been trained to lead others, while the rest of them were lone wolves. With this done, Vivienne, Mira, and Jiro went to purchase goods for the group, while the rest of them relaxed in their rooms. They knew little of the harsh battles that would soon beset them...

Hope y'all enjoy!
Post edited by Elrandir on

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Chapter 1: Meeting The Neighbors

Vivienne, Mira, and Jiro returned to the circular main room, where stalls stocked with weapons, armor, potions, jewelry, and other trinkets lined the walls. “Kind of like the market section of the fair that used to take place once a year back home” Mira said, half smiling at the memory. Jiro looked at her and raised an eyebrow. “Your fairs’ market section was filled with tools for battle?” Mira glared at him. “Well obviously not! That’s not what I meant at all! It just reminded me…” Jiro nodded wistfully, his eyes turning to the ceiling. “At least you have a home to return to…” he muttered. “Alright you two, enough gabbing. We’ve got to get supplies.” Vivienne said. “We’ll purchase weapons first. They gave us a decent sum of gold, but there’s no telling what the prices are here.” With this the group walked over to an elf, shifting his weight back and forth from one foot to the other, as though he had to go somewhere soon. When they came up to the stall he glanced up at them and, though faint, he jumped slightly. “What do… Oh! M-more of your sort. All right, I… I’ll get you whatever you need. My name is De-De-De-Devlin Taralon. I deal mainly in ran-ranged weaponry. W-what can I get you?” Jiro tilted his head slightly. “How did you come to be here, Taralon? Most of the other shopkeepers are from the Underdark, or so I presume.” Devlin glanced around nervously, rubbing his hands together. “I’d… I’d b-b-better not waste time t-talking to you. Baeloth will… hu-hu-hurt me more.” As he said this he flinched slightly, as though he was remembering some past torture. He continued, however. “I am a slave to his will, human. P-please don’t bring me to his at-tt-attention.” Mira frowned sadly. “What has Baeloth done to you to make you this way?” she said. Taralon just shook his head and held his hands out in a “halt” motion. “F-f-forget I said anything! Please! J-just… buy something before he c-comes over. I—I don’t wish to annoy him further…” Vivienne reached out to place a hand on the elf’s shoulder, but he recoiled instinctively. “You poor thing…” she said sadly. “Well, I suppose we need ranged weaponry and ammunition. What do you have for sale?”

The sale itself was fairly normal. The group purchased two slings along with a full satchel of bolts for Mira and Crimson. Vivienne couldn’t resist purchasing a set of five throwing axes for herself either. With this done, the group bid Taralon farewell and continued to the next stall, where a foul-tempered looking Duergar woman sat. When the came forward she did not introduce herself, but instead said “You fools have no idea what you’re in for. You’d best arm yourselves as heavily as possible. I can help with that, if you’ve enough coin.” “Well then what do you have for sale?” Vivienne asked, cutting to the chase. They purchased a greatsword for Vivienne, two morning stars for Eryk, and two bastard swords for Hawke. As they were about to leave, Jiro turned about and asked the woman “Why do you look so grim?” The woman scowled. “I find little cause for amusement since that drow unleashed his monsters on us.” As she continued, her voice continued to get louder and louder till she was screaming. “Which never would have worked if we had EVEN ONE WORTHY MAN AMONG US!” It was obvious that this outburst was aimed at someone in particular, so Vivienne asked what was on all three of their minds. “Who are you talking to?” The duergar rolled her eyes as she continued. “No one who MATTERs. No one who LISTENS. No one who ANSWERS me, anyway. Mira had noticed that the woman kept looking at a duergar male behind a stall on the opposite wall, and so she asked. “You keep looking at that duergar selling light armor. Who is he?” The woman dodged the question by grumpily asking “Did you come here for gossip or arms?” Jiro raised his hands. “Alright, alright. We’re just curious. We’ll leave you alone.” The woman nodded approvingly. “Good. And my name is Magda, should you need more weapons.”

The group continued down the row to a vendor who’s shop was practically connected to Magda’s. This duergar male also stocked weapons, it seemed, but those he carried were of a lighter variety than the heavy weapons Magda sold. A finely made katana sat directly behind him in a display case, and Jiro’s eyes filled with greed. The duergar noticed this, but didn’t seem to care. “What do you interlopers want? If it isn’t a light weapon, then off with you!” Vivienne was taken aback somewhat. “Come now,” she said “we’re both in the same predicament. What’s the harm in being friendly?” The duergar laughed a short, loud, mocking laugh at Vivienne. “Friendly?! With you surface-walking intruders? Ha! If Baeloth hadn’t taken over, my people and I would already have driven you out. Or to your grave, more likely!” Vivienne rolled her eyes. This man was obviously not going to be civil. “Delightful as I find your sparkling banter, I came here to buy weapons.” she said, sarcasm dripping from every word. “Good. What is it you’re looking for?” he responded sardonically. Jiro pointed at the katana, his eyes locked to it. “615 gold pieces. Not a copper less.” the duergar said firmly. “What?! But that’s so expensive!” Jiro exclaimed. Vivienne sighed. “Let’s go, Jiro. You can make do with the shortsword we already got in that first fight, yes? Maybe you want a wakizashi instead? It has a tag on it that says 61 gold pieces.” “But…” Jiro said sadly, unable to find the words he was searching for. “Look, Jiro, katanas are expensive in your culture, very expensive in mine, and are probably almost impossible to obtain here in the Underdark. Not to mention this duergar doesn’t seem to like us much, so what are our options? We still need to purchase other things.” Jiro sighed again. “I’ll just take the wakizashi then…” Mira patted Jiro’s shoulder. “Maybe we can get one later. Who knows.” she said as she smiled sweetly.

The trio walked to the next stall which was two different shops combined into one stall. There was a rather odd looking duergar manning the scrolls side of the stall. Odd in that his hair was a mess, his clothes were rumpled, and he had a slightly crazed look in his eyes. He was muttering to himself as well. The trio didn’t catch the first part, but Mira’s keen elven ears picked up the latter half. “…day is coming soon, and then Baeloth shall pay!” As he finished the sentence he noticed the group walking up and he smiled at them, but the smile was more disturbing than friendly. “What’s this? More useless captives for the Black Pits? Have you come to buy my scrolls?” The trio looked at each other, then at the duergar, then at each other again before Vivienne said “This is one of those awkward moments when I feel I should just walk on by.” The other half of the stall was not much better, however. A large myconid stood behind the counter while a surprisingly friendly looking svirfneblin stood in front. Not knowing if the myconid could speak basic, the trio approached the svirfneblin. He grinned at them as they came up, and for the first time since they arrived, the group felt like they were seeing a smile from someone who actually was smiling due to genuine friendliness. “Greetings, surface-dwellers! If it’s potions you seek, then my friend can brew something special just for you. You may call me Bellowgulp.” Mira gazed in wonder at the myconid before asking “Your friend is a giant talking mushroom?” The svirfneblin looked mildly offended.“He is not a mere mushroom but a sentient being known as a myconid!” Bellowgulp then seemed to reconsider her statement and his next sentence was far more cordial in tone. “I’m not surprised you haven’t encountered one before. Most live in the lower reaches of the Underdark.” Mira quietly gasped and said “Wow!” under her breath. Bellowgulp smirked slightly before continuing. “That’s where I met this charming fellow. An unfortunate wrong turn led me into a deadly field of fungus. I would have died had the Concocter not arrived in time to save me with one of his marvelous elixirs.” Vivienne raises an eyebrow. “His name is “the Concocter?” Bellowgulp chuckled. “No, his name is a brief sequence of spores that most people can barely detect, much less interpret. But we’ve wandered the Underdark together so long that I can now translate his spore-talk for others. His full name is closer to ‘Keen-Scenting Concocter of Marvelous Draughts.’ And even that’s not his real name, which even I can’t fully understand” Jiro tilted his head curiously. “How did you end up here?” Bellowgulp looked down, obviously somewhat disheartened. He perked back up almost immediately though and responded. It was obvious that this svirfneblin was a cheerful fellow. “After my friend rescued me, we wandered the Underdark for a while, searching for rare ingredients for his potions and valuable gems for me. Unfortunately, before we found much of either, Baeloth found us. The drow would have slain us both, but when he learned of the Concocter’s talent for potions, he brought us here to support his “entertainment.” Jiro nodded. “That’s quite a tale. Do we really need any potions at the moment, though, Vivienne?” Vivienne looked at Jiro a moment and then shook her head. “No, I don’t think we do. We’ll be sure to come back whenever we do, however.” Bellowgulp nodded and smiled. “Come back whenever you need a brew.”

There were only four more vendors, and none of them looked particularly savory. First up was an illithid. Vivienne whispered for Jiro to stay back a bit. She had noticed that he was brilliant, if not necessarily wise, and she feared the mindflayer might desire a little Kara-turan snack. Jiro was all too happy to comply, seeming quite uncomfortable with the creature. Mira, on the other hand, was as curious as always. When they first arrived she had been a bundle of emotions, but after the initial rush of feeling passed, she had settled into an incredibly curious state of mind. “You’re an illithid, right?” She asked expectantly. The mindflayer said nothing, but made a small noise like a small gust of wind blowing through a tree branch. Vivienne had studied illithids and knew that most of them could speak basic to some degree, though perhaps “speak” was not the right term. “Aren’t you supposed to be able to put thoughts in my head or something like that?” she asked. The illithid made no reply. Turning their attention to its goods, the group noticed he sold enchanted jewelry and wands, which were all either too expensive or not important enough at the moment. Deciding that they might as well head on to the next merchant, the left, saying nothing. The next stall was no better. In fact it was frankly worse. A large intimidating rakshasa stood behind the counter, two scimitars strapped to his hips. His arms were crossed and as they approached he snarled at them. “Yes! More mortals to twist in agony upon the battlefield. Were I not enjoying the sight so much, I would be tempted to step into the arena and eviscerate you myself.” Mira shuddered. Jiro glanced around at the rakshasa and spoke first. “You don’t seem to belong here.” The rakshasa’s lip curled into a half snarl. “Who are you to judge where I belong, human? Baeloth is one of my most valued customers. When he invited me here, I welcomed the opportunity to display my finely crafted magical garments to hundreds of spectators from across the realms.” Vivienne’s eyes widened. “You mean you came here on purpose?” “Of course I came willingly, and why not?!” he said. “Baeloth is known for his especially horrific tableaus. His name is whispered in reverent tones by all who relish bloodsport.” Before the trio could respond to that, the monster continued. “Now, shall I begin fitting you for a burial shroud?” Vivienne glanced over his wares for a moment before replying “Forget it. I’m done here. Maybe later.” The rakshasa shrugged. “Suit yourself, mortal. Try to scream loudly for me out there.” As they walked away, Mira shuddered again and muttered “He creeps me out…”

Finally they had arrived at the armor vendors, and there wasn’t much to think about. Most of the group wore no armor. Vivienne and Eric needed a suit of plate mail, and Jiro decided he’d wear some chain mail for the time being, but for the most part there wasn’t much to do. The heavy armor merchant was the first, and as they came up he sized them up. “You are Baeloth’s latest twerps, aren’t you? Yeah… well I hope you can at least spit in his eye before you die. That last group should have bought more of my heavy armor. I’m Gorch, by the way.” Mira was the first to speak, and she asked if Baeloth had abducted him as well. The duergar practically exploded. “Abducted?! This here is my home! Or at least it was, until that confounded wizard slaughtered my clan after forcing us to dig out this blasted complex!” Mira gasped in horror. “Your entire clan?! That’s horrible!” Jiro tilted his head and asked, “Why aren’t you at Baeloth’s throat? The geas?” Gorch nodded slowly. “Laduguer will punish Baeloth in due time. Until then, his cruel spells prevent us from rebelling. Some days I wish he’d vaporize me along with the others. At least I wouldn’t have to suffer this humiliation! Now what do you want?” Vivienne nodded. “We just need some armor. Two suits of plate and a suit of chain. Along with three helmets.” Gorch nodded. “I can do that. About all I can do…” While the group stood there waiting, they noticed a mighty looking helmet on display. Noticing their gaze, Gorch nodded to it. “Helm of Defense. Best helm I’ve got. It’ll cost you a fair bit, though.” Vivienne nodded. Certainly not something we can afford right now. Maybe later, though...

A few minutes later the group carried their new spoils to the next stand, just to see what there was. They didn’t expect to purchase anything. This was the duergar that Magda was yelling at earlier, and the group was more interested in speaking with him. He began speaking as they approached. “More playthings for Baeloth? They dragged off the bodies of the last ones just yesterday! I suppose you’ve wisely decided that being light on your feet is the only way to prolong your life?” Avoiding the question, Vivienne asked how many people Baeloth had summoned here. The duergar shrugged. “Dozens, perhaps hundreds by now. I try not to become involved, since most don’t survive long in the Black Pits. And I have no love for your kind, human. Now, can I sell you some light armor?” Vivienne was trying to decline as politely as possible, but the trio suddenly heard a scream. They weren't sure who it was, but it came from the prisoner’s quarters, and the group rushed that way to see what was wrong. They nearly screamed themselves when they saw the cause of their allies’ horrified shout. There, hovering above a floored Eryk and Crimson was a beholder!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Boo in the Black Pits... Your enemies have no chance!
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Yet another I had not yet seen. :) Just reading your character introductions now and really finding them interesting. I’m finding myself very curious about how they will fare in this new situation they find themselves in. Especially Crimson, Hawke and Jiro.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    This is great Elrandir! Very nice detail, and interesting to see the Black Pits turned into a story. It's a first I think.
    @Ravenslight‌ Thanks! I'm hoping one of the more "experienced" characters will die, just so I can have fun characterizing that. Of course everyone's revived at the end of a fight, so it will be the character's "horrid brush with death".

@Blackraven‌ Thanks! I think @Heindrich‌ MAY have done something similar, but I don't remember if he role-played it or not.
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Please consider line breaks.
    @Glam_Vrock‌ I have somewhat. I know that the blocks of text can be a bit challenging, but I greatly dislike how conversation heavy play-throughs (such as this one) get tripled or even quadrupled in size by line breaks. Neither option is ideal, to be frank.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Elrandir‌ and @Blackraven‌

Yea I did try to roleplay the Black Pits a bit, but I found it quite difficult to do so compared to the main game. If you happen to be interested though, here's the link... :)

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30229/the-tales-of-sima-jin-black-pits-blind-lets-play/p1