Skip to content

So, just HOW MANY points exactly, i need to invest in EACH AND EVERY thief skill...?

2»

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Thank you Some really insightful comments @elminster‌ and @Dee ! I always thought you could steal all weapons.

I have corrected now how I may now spend my points as a thief.

Pick locks: 75 - The ring of lock picking gives a +25. A potion can boost you before you find it.
    Find traps: 75 - The ring of danger sense gives a +25. A potion can boost you before you find it.
    Set traps: 100 - Especially if you use a lot of traps!
    Detect illusions: 100 - A very underrated skill. I boost it in BG!
    HiS/MS: 200 in both boosting last, as the invisibility spell is easy to get and use and more reliable early game!
    Pickpocketing: 105 - Why? Because then 3 x Potions of master thievery is 40+40+40 = 120 + 105 = 225. Or if you have a lot of potions chug another and set it at 65...

Remember in BG potions are not as widely available so use your NPCs.

Imoen becomes my trap finder and has 100 in find traps, whilst Coran becomes my lock pick setting a 100... In my games, both fire arrows, so stealthing them and spending points seems pointless.
    TJ_Hooker[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Isn't the revert back to zero bug fixed in 1.3?
    Sure it's only in BGEE where you don't really have to worry about that, but we should see the same fix for bg2 once they patch it (whenever that will be).
    [Deleted User]
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    So for my bounty hunter, my final plans are:

Pick pocket: 200
    Open locks: 110
    Find traps: 110
    Move silently: 165
    Hide in shadows: 165
    Detect illusion: 105
    Set traps: 105

Is there any modification to this that would cause his abilities to be superior? This is taking all the points he'll gain throughout his 40 levels along with his racial (half-orc) bonuses and his DEX (19 at endgame) bonuses.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I know I've heard before that +5 points to them make for guaranteed success, or something along those lines. Why +10? Because the character will gain +5 when he reaches 19 DEX. Other than that no reason. I probably would put it into MS/HIS, I just got lazy after spending 30 minutes doing calculations/tests/studying about the skills. =p

How exactly does Set Traps work? I always assumed it increased the damage, but I know that's not the case now. And also, doesn't DI work faster with a skill greater than 100? I already read through all of this thread, but I've already forgotten if someone explained the points needed for it.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Elrandir said:

I know I've heard before that +5 points to them make for guaranteed success, or something along those lines.

100 is a guaranteed success. No traps or locks require a skill of anything higher than that.

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    There is always a 1% chance of failure, no matter how high you are in the required skill.
    nosecret