Skip to content

So, just HOW MANY points exactly, i need to invest in EACH AND EVERY thief skill...?

In order to do EVERYTHING successfully, surely, and be able to use them to their fullest extent? After a quite large research and full of details, i got word that i should put: 1) 255 into move silently, and 2) 145 into hide in shadows.

Now, what about all the rest? HOW much to raise the remaining stats? I want to do everything there is, WITHOUT potions or enhancers. Please, help? And i know that i have to raise pick pockets very much, but HOW much exactly, so it can function at FULL capacity???

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited July 2014
    Pick locks: 100
    Find traps: 100
    Set traps: 100
    Detect illusions: 100
    HiS/MS: up to 255 for each
    Pickpocketing: up to 255

The first four will always work at 100. The remaining 3 have no limit, so you could go all the way up to 255. Don't go beyond that number though, because due to some kind engine limitation or bug anything beyond 255 is counted from 0 again. However, to be good at stealth and pickpocketing it's not necessary to go all the way to 255 in each skill. In my experience 100 or maybe a bit more in HiS/MS is usually sufficient for realiable stealth. For stealth in broad daylight you'll want a higher score though, more towards 150-175. For pickpocketing 150+ usually works, but by late SoA and in ToB you'll find targets that require an even higher picketpocketing score to be able to reliably steal from them. Those are only a few targets though. I wouldn't bother investing that many points in pickpockets, but rather use potions.

Edit: included the word *not* in the third line, quite essential :p
    Post edited by Blackraven on
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited July 2014

because due to some kind engine limitation or bug anything beyond 255 is counted from 0 again.

If you will permit, I'm going to go off on a technical tangent.

[spoiler]The reason values higher than 255 start at 0 and continue going is because it is a 8-bit byte value rather than 16-bit.

This is 255: 11111111

That's basic binary—it goes from 1 to 128, reading from right to left.
    Each column where a 1 occurs, count it. In the case of a number larger, it should be 16-bit, but it is truncated and causes loss of data.

This is 260: 100000100
    Count the top row from right to left and add the numbers, only the numbers which have a 1 below, up to 128 but no further. Everything past that point is dropped since it is a byte value. This results in a value of 4.

Inclusive of possible bonuses, let's say you manage to get 310. That's 100110110.
    This actually gives you a value of 54.[/spoiler]

To answer the question in the original post, I would heed @Blackraven. There is very little point in having more than 100 in the top four items. For the most part, I will typically ignore Detect Illusions—my usual maximum for that one is about 50.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014

i got word that i should put: 1) 255 into move silently, and 2) 145 into hide in shadows.

The idea that Move Silently is better than Hide in Shadows has since been debunked. Hide in Shadows and Move Silently work the same so whether you put 150 in one and 200 in the other it will still work like you put 175 in each. Dee looked into it awhile back.

https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/370098/#Comment_370098
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I thought the maximum penalty that could apply to Hide in Shadows and Move Silently was direct sunlight, halving them, so 200 should be the maximum for these two.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Ok. So, if i understand correctly, i have to: Max (255) pickpocket, and NOT exceed this number. Put 200 to each one of those two: MS and HIS (absolutely certain that i do not need the old "255 MS and 145 HIS" pattern?). And 100 to everything else. Right...?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Sounds about right. Also note that max-255 includes any bonus you might get from items in the game, so be careful about that.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    You're not going to have enough skill points to 'max' everything out until ToB, so it's good to prioritize.

For instance, I wouldn't really bother raising pickpocket that high. I think there's only a few merchants where you benefit from having 200+ PP, and it's easy enough to boost the skill with potions anyways.

BG2 takes place indoors much more than BG1, so the penalty from trying to hide while in sunlight isn't as big of an issue. Even if you just raise HIS and MS to 100+, I think you'd be fine for the most part.

Also, You can get away with 75 in open locks if you have the ring of lock picks.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    No.

My advice is to remember about some useful items and numbers.

Pick locks: 75 - The ring of lock picking gives a +25. A potion can boost you before you find it.
    Find traps: 75 - The ring of danger sense gives a +25. A potion can boost you before you find it.
    Set traps: 100 - Especially if you use a lot of traps!
    Detect illusions: 100 - A very underrated skill. I boost it in BG!
    HiS/MS: All your spare points but remember there are more items in the game that boosts these stats. Also 200 in both so boost last, remember the invisibility spell is easy to get and use and more reliable early game!
    Pickpocketing: 95 - You need 95 as a basic to steal everything you can before boosting with potions.

• Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Thanks everyone. I now go to create my new, ultimate berserker thief (apparently bored from my previous, overused, kensai/thief one...)! Thanks a lot for the info, this was an accumulated result of long research upon game mechanics, trials (and most possibly errors too), and a really great shortcut towards an easy pointer towards making a great thief build... I feel like i "ripped you off" or something, or like i was too lazy to do that research alone, so i honestly, cannot even find enough words to thank you enough! People, i LOVE you!!!
    edited July 2014
    Anduin said:

Pickpocketing: 95 - You need 95 as a basic to steal everything you can before boosting with potions.

Honestly I probably wouldn't bother with this unless you have maxed out everything else. There are so many potions of mind focusing in the game along with other thievery related potions that its pretty easy to ignore.
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    If you are going to use Simulacra, you might want to get higher than 100% in Set Traps and/or Detect Illusions. AFAIK the Simulacra get reductions applied to their skills so if you want your Simulacrum to have perfect Set Traps and Detect Illusions, then you'll need higher base values. (Disclaimer: I haven't personally tested this, but believe it to be true based on information that's "out there". Test in your own game if you want to absolutely certain :).)

If you are going to use Simulacra, you might want to get higher than 100% in Set Traps and/or Detect Illusions. AFAIK the Simulacra get reductions applied to their skills so if you want your Simulacrum to have perfect Set Traps and Detect Illusions, then you'll need higher base values. (Disclaimer: I haven't personally tested this, but believe it to be true based on information that's "out there". Test in your own game if you want to absolutely certain :).)

Sounds about right.
  • nosecretnosecret Member Posts: 92
    I'll have to look, but I don't think I've ever had a case after having about 115-125 in everything of NOT being able to do the intended function.

I shoot for that value, but (typically) it will be with this prioritization/weighting (BG2 only, BG1 is a different animal):

First 2 chapters or so:
    Find traps (much more common than in BG1)
    Pick Pockets, Pick locks (it's much more worth it to use these than in BG1-especially pick pockets)

Chapter 4-Chapter 5:
    Detect illusions (hidden doors are much more prevalent and can help you get a better strategic approach to some battles)
    Set Traps (for trap cheese, hehe)

After everything else is in the 90's-110's:
    HiS/MS I leave these lowest priority because invis potions are much easier to come by in BG2.
    nosecret said:

Chapter 4-Chapter 5:
    Detect illusions (hidden doors are much more prevalent and can help you get a better strategic approach to some battles)

According to the manual, all characters have a chance to passively detect doors, with the chance being dependent upon their class (and possibly modified by their race). Thieves with Find Traps active have 100% chance. I know that the manuals have mistakes (even the new ones), but this does more or less match up with my own experiences. Regardless, I'm pretty sure that Detect Illusions doesn't play a role in finding secret doors.
    TJ_Hooker said:

nosecret said:

Chapter 4-Chapter 5:

According to the manual, all characters have a chance to passively detect doors, with the chance being dependent upon their class (and possibly modified by their race). Thieves with Find Traps active have 100% chance. I know that the manuals have mistakes (even the new ones), but this does more or less match up with my own experiences. Regardless, I'm pretty sure that Detect Illusions doesn't play a role in finding secret doors.
    That may very well be true - maybe it's habitual on my part.

Ya gotta admit tho... ogre mages! (insert "Aliens" meme here).
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    Isn't there a trap in Durlag's Tower that is protecting the book of wisdom that requires more than 100 find traps to disarm? I know you can find the trap but I think you need more to disarm it. I don't know with any certainty about any traps like that in BG2 though.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    I can't remember if you can disarm that trap or not, but you could always use potions of perception to give you a boost over 100. I wouldn't put more than 100 points in Find Traps for just one trap.
    edited February 2015
    Deleted.
    Post edited by elminster on
    edited July 2014
    elminster said:

Anduin said:

Honestly I probably wouldn't bother with this unless you have maxed out everything else. There are so many potions of mind focusing in the game along with other thievery related potions that its pretty easy to ignore.
    @elminster‌ I actually raised this as a bug, it got turned into a feature request and started a chat about it, in fact you are on the thread @elminster‌ !

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/20317/changes-to-pick-pocketing

You need, as the table shows, that skill level before bonuses through potions to steal things.

No need to raise it higher than 95, although having 95 does not mean you will automatically be able to steal it. You have to beat a spot check.

edited August 2014
    Anduin said:

elminster said:

Anduin said:

@elminster‌ I actually raised this as a bug, it got turned into a feature request and started a chat about it, in fact you are on the thread @elminster‌ !

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/20317/changes-to-pick-pocketing

You need, as the table shows, that skill level before bonuses through potions to steal things.

No need to raise it higher than 95, although having 95 does not mean you will automatically be able to steal it. You have to beat a spot check.

Drizzt's scimitars (since he has them equipped in weapon slots) require you to have a 95 in order to stand a chance at getting them (this is in version 1.2 since in version 1.3 they are no longer pick pocketable).

Behold Eldoth. Currently being boosted by the dexterity gauntlets at level 7 he has 80 pickpocket. He can't pickpocket Drizzt's scimitars with an amount this low.

However, give Eldoth a Potion of Master Thievery and he can do so.

Spoilered to avoid taking up too much space

Just a random picture that includes my party and Drizzt (just because I guess)

Eldoth's character page pre-potion (notice 80 pickpocketing and that his dexterity is being boosted by the guantlets to 18)

Inventory with potion in it (its next to the wolf cloak)

Pick Pocket successful

Inventory (Drizzt's scimitar in it now)

Character sheet with potion active on it

Like every other thief skill any check is done after bonuses (or penalties I suppose) are applied.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @elminster, I liked Eldoth's initial answer to Drizzt. :)
    @elminster‌ Are we sure they are not in his inventory? 1.3 I think he now wields them needing the 95. You should still be able to pick pocket wielded weapons. Even Drizzt's.
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    edited August 2014
    Played countless thieves, in my experience this is the amount of points required to ensure success in burglary and mischief through Faerûn without relying on potions:
    Pick locks: 100
    Find traps: 120. 100 will be enough most of the game, 120 for certain traps in Watcher Keep -Tana'ari room and Demon Wraith fight- 140 for a couple devious traps in Saradush prison level 2 before entering Gromnir's Stronghold.
    Set traps: 100 for automatic success.
    Detect illusions: 100 A very useful skill to free True Sight slots in your mages books or if you don't have Keldorn in your party.
    Hide in Shadows and Move Silently: have the exact same effect in game, 160 Hide in shadows and 160 MS guarantee successful hide in shadows indoors, 200 outdoors in daytime. Put all remaining points in here, more is better except against dragons, you can run but you cannot hide.
    Pickpocketing: 200. Starting 195 only Bernard in the Copper Coronet can catch you stealing from him, the bugger requires up to 225 to steal from and you still have a 5% chance of failure no matter your skill. Haven't ever been caught with Pickpocket at these values: Waukeen Promenade Scroll merchant: 170, Adventurer's Mart scroll merchant: 175, Mrs. Cragmoon and various Athkatla fences: 180, Trademeet merchants: 185, Drow city merchants and Sister Garlena at top of Watcher's Keep: 190, Gorch, fat guy at Mae'Var's guildhall: 195.
    Post edited by Foggy on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Anduin said:

@elminster‌ Are we sure they are not in his inventory? 1.3 I think he now wields them needing the 95. You should still be able to pick pocket wielded weapons. Even Drizzt's.

Equipped weapons that are currently in use can't be pick pocketed. Since Drizzt is now actually wielding his swords, they cannot be stolen at any pickpocket level.
    edited August 2014
    Anduin said:

They are in his other weapon slots in 1.2. He's not using them however because he is using another itm file instead that is intended to mimic him dual wielding (its what he had in the original game since you couldn't dual wield).

In 1.3 he is actually using them so you can't steal them.
    edited August 2014
    Foggy said:

Hide in Shadows and Move Silently: have the exact same effect in game, 160 Hide in shadows and 160 MS guarantee successful hide in shadows in combat.

Huh? If by "in combat" you mean while enemies are in sight, you can never do that, unless you're a shadowdancer.

For stealth (the average of HIS and MS), 100 allows you always hide while in ideal conditions. 150 allows you to always hide while indoors and exposed to light. 200 allows you to always hide while outdoors and exposed to light. Those last two are based on the results of an experiment that were posted on the Bioware forums way back, that indicated that hiding indoors in light and outdoors in light reduced your effective stealth score by 1/3 and 1/2, respectively. Also, in any situation, you have a 5% chance to fail, regardless of stealth ability.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    edited August 2014
    TJ_Hooker said:

Foggy said:

Hide in Shadows and Move Silently: have the exact same effect in game, 160 Hide in shadows and 160 MS guarantee successful hide in shadows in combat.

Huh? If by "in combat" you mean while enemies are in sight, you can never do that, unless you're a shadowdancer.
    Yep, sorry about the rushed writing and poor use of english. Meant for initiating combat with backstab. You roll an average based on the 2 stats hide in shadows and move silently. Thanks @Dee for insight on the mechanics. So at 300+ total you cannot be detected by enemies while exploring hidden in shadows unless of course scripted mages casting true sight or certain enemies like dragons (cannot be backstabbed and always detect illusion) so ideally (HiS + MS)/2 is 150+ around 160 should be good, more is better to offset penalties in all circumstances.
    Of course hide in shadows means you must be in a shadow for no penalty, there is always a penalty of 30% indoors, cause all area are considered well lit, while the penalty outdoors is 50% for daytime in a well lit area. There is no bonus for hiding nighttime between 22:00 and 06:00 outdoors.
    I read the minimum is 1% chance to fail hiding under all circumstances, it correspond to what I experienced in my playthroughs, the 5% being applied to pickpocket.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Foggy‌ Not quite true, actually. We looked at the code internally, and it turns out all stealth checks are an average of your Hide and Move Silently scores; there's never a case where one is used instead of the other.
    Foggy said:

I read the minimum is 1% chance to fail hiding under all circumstances, it correspond to what I experienced in my playthroughs, the 5% being applied to pickpocket.

Yeah, could be. I knew there was some chance of critical failure, and I assumed it was 5% just because so many things are based on a d20 roll.
    Dee said:

@Foggy‌ Not quite true, actually. We looked at the code internally, and it turns out all stealth checks are an average of your Hide and Move Silently scores; there's never a case where one is used instead of the other.

Why do I suddenly feel like "I wuz robbed!"

Granted the statute of limitation precludes me taking action on a ~15 yr old game, but still :)