Skip to content

Finch v4.0 BETA 7 for Tutu, BG:EE and BGT!

ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
edited December 2014 in BG:EE Mods
I have tested the mod myself on Tutu, BG:EE and BGT, and it should work fine. However I would appreciate some additional testing and feedback. In particular, the mod needs to be more thoroughly tested for languages other than English.

Known issues for which there is no solution (at least for now):
1) the large portrait in BG:EE is a bit blurry. Unfortunately an higher resolution image is not currently available.
2) Finch's Glasses don't do anything (other than wasting a charge) if activated from the "USE ITEM" icon (they work as usual if you right click on the unidentified item and select "SCROLL"). Unfortunately the Glasses behaviour is hardcoded, so there is nothing I can do about that.

[spoiler=Previous Versions]Download Link: Finch v4.0 BETA

Download Link: Finch v4.0 BETA 2

Download Link: Finch v4.0 BETA 3

Download Link: Finch v4.0 BETA 4

Download Link: Finch v4.0 BETA 5

Download Link: Finch v4.0 BETA 6[/spoiler]
Download Link: Finch v4.0 BETA 7

Some BG:EE screenshots:

[spoiler=Record Screen]image[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Inventory]image[/spoiler]

[spoiler=A Banter]image[/spoiler]
Post edited by Erg on
CrevsDaakCaloNordJuliusBorisovMivsanStradlinRylorn23elminsterSCARY_WIZARDButtercheesekaguanalolienRavenslightSylvus_MoonbowAedanjscohenBeetlekensaiilduderino

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I shall assist tomorrow my good man! :D You got me into coding it's the least I can do! Besides, I love Finch! :D
    ErgStradlinlolienDazzu
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    If you need help I can try.
    I just have to restore my pc version while I wait for the new patch :)
    Erg
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    Hey,

I haven't had a lot of time to test, but so far everything has been working fine (tested in English, BG:EE), except:

1. Her sound volume seems to be a bit lower than other characters - that might be intended, since she's not a very explosive personality? Perhaps it isn't.
    2. She uses male voice incantations when casting spells.
    Erglolien
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Mivsan, many thanks for your feedback.

1. Yep, the volume of the original ogg files is a bit low, especially in BG:EE. I'm not an expert in sound manipulation, but maybe the volume can be raised a bit with programs like Audacity. I'll see what I can do, but I'm not making any promises.

2. I will fix her casting voice in the next release. This bug is caused by the fact that any NPC has two variables for gender, Gender and Sex. For Finch in the original mod (i.e. version 3.0) Gender is correctly set to female, but Sex is erroneously set to male. For some reason this does not affect at all her casting voice in Tutu, but it does in BG:EE.
    CrevsDaakMivsanStradlinlolien
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    Just out of curiosity, I played around to see how easy it was to match audio files en masse. If this worked (I haven't tested the mod or extensively gone through the resulting audio files), you're welcome to use it.
    Erg[Deleted User]Mivsanlolien
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Nice! One of the best NPC mods. Very well written.
    lolien
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rylorn23Rylorn23 Member Posts: 77
    Wonderful! When I have enough time, I will gladly try it.

Will also Indira and Gavin be available for EE as well?
    edited July 2014
    Sergio said:

hey, how is the testing going ?

So far, I've only had feedback from @Mivsan. If anyone else is trying this mod, it would be nice to hear from them too. Both bug reports and confirmations that everything works fine would be very useful to shorten the duration of the test period. Thanks in advance.

In the meantime, I've edited the first post to upload a new version (beta 2), fixing the male casting voice in BG:EE. Tutu was not affected by this bug.
    Rylorn23 said:

Will also Indira and Gavin be available for EE as well?

@Rylorn23, I don't know about Gavin (maybe @berelinde can comment on that) or Indira.
    [Deleted User]
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    I've been testing it out (checking to see if her selection and movement dialogues all fire, checking her bio to make sure it is there, and just general play testing). No issues so far on version 1.3.2050
    ErgCrevsDaaklolien
    I've edited the first post to upload a new version (BETA 3).

Changes are minimal (just fixed some stuff, regarding the tra files, that wasn't formally correct) and will not affect gameplay, so if you are already testing BETA 2 there is no need to download BETA 3.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I can test the german translation for you, if there is one. Might take a while though, given how long the game is :'D
    Would there be a list available for all areas/ quests/ encounters where Finch has interactions so that I can skip all skipable parts that are irrelevant to her mod?

I can test the german translation for you, if there is one.

@Buttercheese, unfortunately there is no German translation, only English, French and Spanish, and by the way it looks like the Spanish translation is incomplete and few strings may have been left in English.

Would there be a list available for all areas/ quests/ encounters where Finch has interactions so that I can skip all skipable parts that are irrelevant to her mod?

That's a good idea. I will compile such a list and post it here as soon as I'm done with it.
    elminsterlolien

The full list of Finch interactions can be found under the spoiler tag below. I've also added area and creature codes for both BG:EE and, in brackets, Tutu.

While this list may be useful for testing purpose, it should not be used if you are simply interested in playing the mod and/or if you prefer to avoid all possible spoilers. Besides, some bugs are easier to find by playing as opposed to testing. For example, during my tests it never occurred to me to do something simple like casting a spell and that's why I didn't notice the male casting voice bug in BG:EE :)
    By the way, thanks again to @Mivsan for that particular bug report.

Areas with additional content:
    AR1803 (FW1803) // Cloakwood mines, 4th subterranean level
    AR1900 (FW1900) // Bandit Camp
    AR2400 (FW2400) // Peldvale
    AR2600 (FW2600) // Candlekeep (prologue)
    AR3300 (FW3300) // Beregost
    AR3357 (FW3357) // Red Sheaf, ground floor
    AR4002 (FW4002) // Jenkal's home, 2nd floor
    AR4804 (FW4804) // Nashkel Manor, ground floor
    AR4900 (FW4900) // Nashkel Carnival

N.B.: sometimes scripts don't fire as they should, if you use the console to move directly to the corresponding area. For example, if you move to the Red Sheaf with the console, she will not be there, unless you leave the Inn (e.g. using the exit door to Beregost) and then go back in, and doing so is still not recommended as she was supposed to help you fight Karlat.

Banters with all party members (except the new ones in BG:EE)

Banters with NPCs from other mods:
    Indira (currently not compatible with BG:EE)
    Mur'Neth

Interactions with non-joinable NPCs:
    ALATOS (_ALATOS) // Alatos "Ravenscar" Thuibuld in AR0153 (FW0153) // Thieves Guild, main area
    ALYTH (_ALYTH) // Alyth in AR0706 (FW0706) // Elfsong Tavern, 2nd floor
    AMNIS4 (_AMNIS4) // Amnian Soldiers in AR5401 (FW5401) // Nashkel Mines, 1st subterranean level
    AMNIS4 (_AMNIS4) // Amnian Soldiers in AR5402 (FW5402) // Nashkel Mines, 2nd subterranean level
    ANDRIS (_ANDRIS) // Andris in AR1009 (FW1009) // Ice Island, dungeon
    APPAR (_APPAR) // Skeleton in AR0513 (FW0513) // Durlag's Tower, 4th subterranean level
    ARDROU (_ARDROU) // Ardrouine in AR3600 (FW3600) // Lighthouse area
    BART6 (_BART6) // Bartender in AR0614 (FW0614) // Iron Throne, 4th floor
    BAYARD (_BAYARD) // Bayard in AR0501 (FW0501) // Durlag's Tower, 1st subterranean level
    BELAND (_BELAND) // Be'land in AR0130 (FW0130) // Hall of Wonders
    BELT (_BELT) // Belt in AR0108 (FW0108) // Duchal Palace, ground floor
    BENTAN (_BENTAN) // Bentan in AR4500 (FW4500) // Firewine Bridge
    BERRUN (_BERRUN) // Berrun Ghastkill in AR4800 (FW4800) // Nashkel
    BOYBE1 (_BOYBE1) // Boy in AR3336 (FW3336) // Generic Home in Beregost, 2nd floor
    BOYBE1 (_BOYBE1) // Boy in AR3346 (FW3346) // Generic Home in Beregost, 2nd floor
    CADDER (_CADDER) // Cadderly in AR2626 (FW2626) // Candlekeep (chapter 6)
    CAEDMO (_CAEDMO) // Caedmon in AR1200 (FW1200) // South Baldur's Gate, docks
    CHANTH (_CHANTH) // Chanthalas Ulbright in AR0132 (FW0132) // Lady's House
    CHELAN (_CHELAN) // Chelan in AR4200 (FW4200) // Fisherman's Lake
    CLAIRD (_CLAIRD) // Clair De'Lain in AR0514 (FW0514) // Durlag's Tower, 5th subterranean level
    CHARLE (_CHARLE) // Charleston Nib during cutscene in AR4101 (FW4101) // Archaeological Site, interior tomb
    FAHRIN (_FAHRIN) // Fahrington in AR3000 (FW3000) // Spider Wood
    FARM3 (_FARM3) // Farmer in AR4807 (FW4807) // Generic Farmhouse in Nashkel
    FARM4 (_FARM4) // Farmer in AR4808 (FW4808) // Generic Home in Nashkel
    FARMBR (_FARMBR) // Farmer Brun in AR1400 (FW1400) // Fishing Village
    FARTHI (_FARTHI) // Farthing in AR2000 (FW2000) // Balduran's Isle, south
    FCOOK2 (_FCOOK2) // Cook in AR1804 (FW1804) // Cloakwood mines, 2nd subterranean level
    FCOOK3 (_FCOOK3) // Cook in AR0613 (FW0613) // Iron Throne, 3rd floor
    FEAR (_FEAR) // Warder in AR0511 (FW0511) // Durlag's Tower, 2nd subterranean level
    FECOOK (_FECOOK) // Cook in AR0128 (FW0128) // Merchant League, 2nd floor
    FECOOK (_FECOOK) // Cook in AR2608 (FW2608) // Candlekeep Citadel, ground floor
    FELONI (_FELONI) // Felonius Gist in AR0719 (FW0719) // Felonius Gist's Home
    FENRUS (_FENRUS) // Fenrus in AR1000 (FW1000) // Ulgoth's Beard
    FERGUS (_FERGUS) // Fergus in AR0607 (FW0607) // Flaming Fist HQ, ground floor
    FIREBE (_FIREBE) // Firebead Elvenhair in AR3333 (FW3333) // Firebeard Elvenhair's Home, ground floor
    FLAM10 (_FLAM10) // Flaming Fist Mercenary in AR0108 (FW0108) // Duchal Palace, ground floor
    FLAMBRID (_LAMBRID) // Flaming Fist Mercenary in AR0900 (FW0900) // Wyrm's Crossing
    FORTHE (_FORTHE) // Forthel August in AR0131 (FW0131) // Temple of Gond
    FTOWBA (_FTOWBA) // Commoner in AR0103 (FW0103) // Splurging Sturgeon, ground floor
    FTOWBA (_FTOWBA) // Commoner in AR0104 (FW0104) // Splurging Sturgeon, 2nd floor
    FTOWBA (_FTOWBA) // Commoner in AR0115 (FW0115) // Blushing Mermaid, 2nd floor
    FTOWFR (_FTOWFR) // Commoner in AR2300 (FW2300) // Friendly Arm Inn, exterior
    FTOWFR (_FTOWFR) // Commoner in AR2301 (FW2301) // Friendly Arm Inn, ground floor
    FTOWN2 (_FTOWN2) // Commoner in AR4806 (FW4806) // Joseph's Home
    FTOWN3 (_FTOWN3) // Commoner in AR4808 (FW4808) // Generic Home in Nashkel
    GALILE (_GALILE) // Galileus in AR3400 (FW3400) // Beregost Temple, exterior
    GALLOR (_GALLOR) // Gallor in AR4100 (FW4100) // Archaeological Site, exterior
    GALTOK (_GALTOK) // Galtok in AR5400 (FW5400) // Nashkel Mines, exterior
    GAMES2 (_GAMES2) // Gamesman in AR0724 (FW0724) // Marketplace Tent in Central Baldur's Gate
    GAMES2 (_GAMES2) // Gamesman in AR0725 (FW0725) // Marketplace Tent in Central Baldur's Gate
    GAZIB (_GAZIB) // The Great Gazib in AR4900 (FW4900) // Nashkel Carnival
    GNARL (_GNARL) // Gnarl in AR5100 (FW5100) // Gnoll Stronghold
    GREYWO (_GREYWO) // Greywolf in AR5400 (FW5400) // Nashkel Mines, exterior
    HAFIZ (_HAFIZ) // Hafiz in AR5500 (FW5500) // Gibberling Mountains
    HICK (_HICK) // Amnian Soldier in AR4810 (FW4810) // Nashkel Barracks
    IKE2 (_IKE2) // Ike in AR0502 (FW0502) // Durlag's Tower, ground floor
    ITHTYL (_ITHTYL) // Ithtyl in AR0120 (FW0120) // Three Old Kegs Tavern, 2nd floor
    KARP (_KARP) // Karp in AR4800 (FW4800) // Nashkel
    KEEPER (_KEEPER) // Keeper of the Portal in AR2600 (FW2600) // Candlekeep (prologue), exterior
    KERRAC (_KERRAC) // Kerrachus in AR1200 (FW1200) // South Baldur's Gate, docks
    LANDRI (_LANDRI) // Landrin in AR2303 (FW2303) // Friendly Arm Inn, 3rd floor
    LAOLA (_LAOLA) // Laola Axehand in AR1100 (FW1100) // Southwest Baldur's Gate
    LARYSS (_LARYSS) // Laryssa in AR4100 (FW4100) // Archaeological Site, exterior
    LENA (_LENA) // Lena in AR5500 (FW5500) // Gibberling Mountains
    MCOOK4 (_MCOOK4) // Cook in AR0109 (FW0109) // Duchal Palace, 2nd floor
    NOBL2 (_NOBL2) // Nobleman in AR4804 (FW4804) // Nashkel Manor, ground floor
    NOBW2 (_NOBW2) // Noblewoman in AR4804 (FW4804) // Nashkel Manor, ground floor
    NOBW2 (_NOBW2) // Noblewoman in AR4805 (FW4805) // Nashkel Manor, 2nd floor
    SAMANT (_SAMANT) // Samantha in AR4805 (FW4805) // Nashkel Manor, 2nd floor
    TAZOK (_TAZOK) // Tazok in AR1900 (FW1900) // Bandit Camp
    TENYA (_TENYA) // Tenya in AR0900 (FW0900) // Wyrm's Crossing
    ZOMBIE (_ZOMBIE) // Zombie, random spawn in AR3700 (FW3700) // Red Canyons
    ZOMBIE (_ZOMBIE) // Zombie, random spawn in AR0511 (FW0511) // Durlag's Tower, 2nd subterranean level

Buttercheeseelminsterlolien
    edited August 2014
    I'm currently working, with permission, on adding to Finch also compatibility with BGT, but I'm not sure how to handle the transition from BG1 to BG2.

Out of respect for the original author, I don't want to change the mod content, unless it is really required to address compatibility issues. With that in mind, I've considered several possibilities and the one that I personally prefer would be to just have her vanish during the ambush.

other possibilities would be

1) having her appear dead in a cell in Irenicus' dungeon, but I would rather not kill her.

2) having her appear alive in a cell in Irenicus' dungeon. She will be fully functional as party member, but she will have no additional content (e.g. banters, quests, etc.) in BG2.

In case 2), I wouldn't know how to handle her glasses, i.e. I can't decide if they are supposed to be removed together with the rest of her equipment or not. I can't imagine her without her glasses, but if I don't remove them, the player can find a duplicate of the glasses in Arledrian's shop (actually not really a duplicate as the glasses are hardcoded and cannot be copied, i.e. despite looking like two different pairs of glasses, they would share the same charges and using the one would drain the other and vice versa).

I'm open to suggestions and proposals. What do you think should I do to properly handle the transition between BG1 and BG2 in BGT ?
    Post edited by Erg on
    elminster
    Sergio said:

I don't understand; if she has no content on BGII - SoA, why would you rather keep her, instead of letting her appear dead on one of the Irenicus's cells?

@Sergio, my personal preference is the one in yellow, i.e. having her disappear, leaving her ultimate fate unknown.
    lolienRavenslight
    Erg
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    edited August 2014
    As far as I know, BGT never lets a modded character travel to Irenicus fortress. BGT gets the canon party back before moving to BG II. If you don't install BGT Tweaks, anyone who is not in the cast of BG II will leave forever. Even with BGT Tweaks, only a limited amount of Bioware characters will transition to some place in Amn for you to meet them. BGT Tweaks also provides transition for Dark Side of the Sword Coast and Northen Tales of the Sword Coast mods, to some place in Amn as well, never in the Irenicus jail.
    I believe you may not have to do anything to have Finch leave the party. It's only if you want to add a leave sequence that you need to code something, if I understand correctly what is done in BGT.
    edited August 2014
    @Isaya, I admit that I'm not familiar with BGT, as I usually use Tutu myself, but I've tested that today on a BGT install with just the BG2 Fixpack on it, and, if I don't do anything to handle the transition, she can be found alive in a cell in Irenicus' dungeon. I've checked some other mods, like Isra for example, and they append code to the script for area ARAM00, so the NPC can leave the party and I was thinking to implement something similar.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Erg I stand corrected then. I never tried with non Bioware characters. I didn't understand properly.

Maybe adding something in ARAM00 is indeed the way to recognize mods characters during the transition and replace them with canon characters instead.

Having Finch leave the party is probably the best way to respect the author's wishes.
    Erg
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Imo, Finch belongs as a NPC relegated to BG1....she simply fits in better with the more innocent and free-wheeling feel of the first chapter of the saga. She's a classic and gives the game a great flavor. When you see her listening to the chanters, it's like she was always there.

That said, I wouldn't boycott a run through BG2 either....but it would be a hefty task to live up to her stellar reputation as a NPC. I wish you luck!!
    Erg
    Minor issue I ran into....while accepting the Firebeard book quest, he asks you to find "History of the Fateful Coin", however Finch replies in her banter "Oh, the history of Unicorn Run, I've heard of that one." Not that big of a deal, but it is there.
    Erg

Imo, Finch belongs as a NPC relegated to BG1....she simply fits in better with the more innocent and free-wheeling feel of the first chapter of the saga. She's a classic and gives the game a great flavor. When you see her listening to the chanters, it's like she was always there.

I agree. I've added code to remove her from the party during the transition to BG2 in BGT. I'll post the new version, with BGT compatibility, in a few days, once I'm done with the preliminary tests.

Minor issue I ran into....while accepting the Firebeard book quest, he asks you to find "History of the Fateful Coin", however Finch replies in her banter "Oh, the history of Unicorn Run, I've heard of that one." Not that big of a deal, but it is there.

Thanks for reporting it, I'll look into it.
    Uploaded new version 4.0 BETA 4 (see first post) with the following changes:

Added BGT compatibility
    - In BGT Finch is removed from the party during the transition to BG2
    - In BGT the glasses maintain the original name and description to avoid changing the ones in Arledrian's shop

Other Changes (BG:EE)
    - Fixed the dialogue with Firebead in BG:EE. Thanks to @jjstraka34 for reporting the issue.

Other Changes (all version)
    - Fixed a bug caused by finding her books while she is not in the party
    - Fixed a broken token in the dialogue with the Nobleman in Nashkel Manor
    - Fixed Finch's sounds during the Prologue in Candlekeep
    RavenslightStradlin
    ErgkaguanaRavenslight
    I have Finch in my party at the moment, what effect would installing the new version have on my current game (if any)??
    edited August 2014

I have Finch in my party at the moment, what effect would installing the new version have on my current game (if any)??

@jjstraka34, assuming that you have installed v4.0 BETA 3, it should be safe to uninstall it and install v4.0 BETA 4 and doing so should fix the relevant bugs even if she is already in your party.

For example if you

1) have Finch in your party
    2) unistall v4.0 BETA 3
    3) install v4.0 BETA 4
    4) remove Finch from the party
    5) find one of her books while she is not in the party

the bug mentioned in my previous post will not affect you.

The dialogue fixes are also retroactive, but they may or may not be relevant. For example, if you have already done Firebead quest, the dialogue fix will be irrelevant for you.
    Uploaded new version 4.0 BETA 5 (see first post) with the following changes:

- Fixed a dialogue bug affecting only BGT and only if Finch, Indira and Dynaheir are together in the party (no need to update from BETA 4 to BETA 5 otherwise)

- Added BETA number to Version (e.g. v4.0 BETA 5) to make easier tracking which version is actually installed
    Stradlin