Skip to content

In development, Kerick NPC mod for BGEE.

RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609

Kerick
NPC mod for Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition
Human - Chaotic Neutral - Male - Thief
By Ravenslight
Coding by Shadowhawk
Original Portraits by Isandir
Voice work undecided

Kerick is used to making his living as an assassin for hire, and bodyguard to the “soft bellies” among the local noble classes of Baldur’s Gate. He seldom talks about himself or his past, even when pressed. Kerick loves women, and as many of them as will let him. He enjoys the chase. Despite the fact that he actively pursues any woman that catches his eye, he always treats them with deference and respect, high born or low. As with most people, his views on men, women, love, and life in general, are heavily colored by his past.

I see Kerick as a discordant combination of gentleman and rogue. A chameleon, who can easily move among and be accepted by those around him as he wishes. A talent that has served him well in his dealings with both the upper classes of Baldur’s Gate and the seedier inhabitants as well. He has no compunctions about taking advantage of that talent. His weakness is a true innocent. This weakness has not often stood in his way, as he rarely sees people as such.

Kerick on reputation:

Reputation is important to Kerick as he believes that only a fool would allow their reputation to drop so low as to draw unwanted attention to themselves. He believes that one is always better able to accomplish ones goals if they can move freely within society, hated or hunted by no one. Whether or not ones true intentions are noble, how others perceive you should always remain nonthreatening. Especially if that is far from the truth. He will not long follow a leader who continually draws negative attention to themselves. He is far too fond of his own hide.

Kerick on the gods others worship:

Kerick has no problem with others that have a strong faith. Even those who have dedicated their lives to their god. He himself however, believes the gods have their own agendas and the only true interest they have in those who follow them is how they can be used to further their own cause. He believes that those who choose to follow a god are deluding themselves if they believe that their god truly cares what happens to them personally.

The romance:

This mod provides a branching romance option for any elven, half-elven or human female PC of neutral to good alignment. If the PC is the kind that likes to kick puppies and kill innocents, she won’t hold his romantic interest for long, but he will put up with most of your decisions as his boss. He works for you, you make the decisions.

If Kerick takes an interest in a woman, he tends to be fairly up front about it. If your protagonist is not interested in such shenanigans, she can easily tell him that she is only interested in a business relationship via the PIDs at any time. He will respect your wishes.

Rating:

Ratings are always subjective and based on personal perceptions, but I would personally rate the content within this mod as mature.

To see more beautiful portraits crafted by Isandir, please follow this link.
http://isandir.com/
OxvaFina92ronaldololienkaguanaCrevsDaakElrandirBlackravenIsandirbooinyoureyes[Deleted User]ButtercheeseJuliusBorisovelminsterCaeriaPorcelynWithinAmnesiaNonnahswriterZaghoulJohnny_GuitarAedan

Comments

• chrstnmonkschrstnmonks Member Posts: 176
    sounds great can't wait can you give a eta
    RavenslightBlackravenJuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Great work so far. Keep it up! And it fills a hole: BG lacks a real crackajack thief imho.
    RavenslightJuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Thank you for the kind words everyone! They are very much appreciated.

No eta just yet @chrstnmonks
    We want to feel confident that we have a stable mod before we release an alpha version to the public for testing. This being the first time we have done this sort of thing, we just don’t feel comfortable trying to give a release date yet.

What I can say is, it is well underway. :)
    lolienJuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Hooo sound really really nice I look forward to it :) and hopefully that will be a success that you will decide to make him a following mod to BG2 there it really lack of thief and female romance :)

Can I ask what his Ability stats ? or it isn't fix yet?
    RavenslightlolienJuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
    edited August 2014
    @Ravenslight that is a great news I'll look forward for it as well :) and take your time so it will be awesome, I'm sure you will make a good decision :)
    Post edited by kaguana on
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Before I read the entire thread:
    "Damen" is German for "Ladies" :P
    You *might* want to rethink that name choice (lest this one was on purpose).
    RavenslightCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
    @Buttercheese

(chuckles) Hmm… Well now, it never occurred to me to consider what a name might mean in a different language. He simply “told me” what his name was. I know, my mind works in strange ways. :) He definitely would not be amused to be called Ladies. I don’t know… Is it important when the mod is written in English? I’d be interested to hear what others think about it.
    JuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Hurrm, I don't know the statistics on what percentage of regular BG mod players understands German, so I don't know. I personally can't unsee it but to bring another popular example: Anders from Dragon Age 2 ("anders" is German for "different") and I don't think that name bugged anyone, really, might be because of the voiceacting though, since it's pronounced differently.

Also, like many other mods, yours may end up with an translation, so then it might be weird.

I don't know.
    edited January 2015
    Thank you for the update @Ravenslight‌ :) I'm really looking forward to meet him.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    First of all, thank you for creating the mod that already sounds fantastic!

Do I understand correctly that mod is not finished yet? Because if so - there are other NPC Kerick could talk to (at least they could be brought to his attention ;) ) Like Vynd, for example (resent addition to the mod pool and a good one, I took it as a personal crusade to promote him) http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/29207/vynd-drow-assassin-npc-now-available-for-bg-ee-tutu-and-trilogy#latest

As for romances, there are no official BG1 romances for females and only hints of any relationship with Dorn and Rasaad in BGEE. Yet, there are three well known romance mods - Xan, Ajantis and Coran. Any plans to make Kerick react to them?
    RavenslightlolienWithinAmnesia
    Thank you for your kind words. :) You are correct, this mod is still in development.

In the first release of our mod, Kerick will notice and react accordingly to Rasaad's interest in the PC, but the conflict will be very light as Rasaad’s romance is really only hinted at in BG1. He will also react very lightly to other NPCs when I feel that there is enough evidence of the possibility for romantic conflict within the base game. For instance, in my opinion there is plenty of evidence in the base game that Coran would be doing at least some minor flirting with a female PC. I felt he could not help but notice such attentions.

In the future I would be very interested in cross mod banter with other peoples NPC mods, however, I would never include such content without the expressed consent of the other mod authors. But yes, I would love to add romance related banter between Kerick and the Xan, Ajantis and Coran romances contained within the BG1 NPC mod, as well as their expansions.

Kerick is being developed and constantly tested with the BG1 NPC project compatibility in mind. But at this time, he is still oblivious to a PC actively romancing Xan, Ajantis or Coran using the NPC project. We hope to change that in the future.
    ElrandirJuliusBorisovlolienWithinAmnesia
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    And many thanks again. Can't wait to get this gem in my hands!
    RavenslightlolienWithinAmnesia
    Any news of this handsome thief?
    RavenslightWithinAmnesia
    Sound like you are having fun making this mod, as for coding language well that something weird indeed that need to be learn otherwise it 010101010101010101110101010 or something that only the pc can understand ;)

It good to be hearing he is in progress and fall wow that will be wonderful if it will happen tho even if not it ok, it will be cool to test him, so take your time and make him perfect as he already is I'm sure :)
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    I can't wait to play this but take your time. :) Have fun with it.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2015
    Where do you plan on finding some voice actors for this mod? Will it be fully voiced, partially voiced like the original Baldur's Gate, or will it only feature a voiceset for Kerick? I know Voice Acting Alliance is one such place to post about your mod, though there are other ways to find actors and reach out to them directly (depends mainly on if you can offer payment or not).

All that said, those are some impressive looking portraits. I'll have to check out some more of that artist's work and keep an eye on this mod in the meantime.
    RavenslightJuliusBorisovlolienWithinAmnesia