Skip to content

Monster Party Members

shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
Now that there's a vampire on the roster, let's talk about other non-PC-races you'd like to see as recruitable party members!

I'm going with Duergar simply because Magda was easily the best thing about the first Black Pits and I would have loved to have her join up in BG2:EE...
  1. Monster Party Members91 votes
    1. Duergar (MAGDAAAAA!)
        9.89%
    2. Sahuagin (Swashbuckler? Cleric?)
        4.40%
    3. Doppleganger (Shapeshifter?)
        5.49%
    4. Githyanki (You *know* you want one)
      13.19%
    5. Lycanthrope (*sigh* Delainy...)
        7.69%
    6. Kobold (DEEKIN NO LIKES YOU!)
        6.59%
    7. Yuan-Ti
        5.49%
    8. Illithid
        7.69%
    9. Gnoll
        8.79%
    10. Other (please specify)
      30.77%
KamigoroshiBlackravenCrevsDaakbooinyoureyesDungeonnoobNonnahswriterSmilingSwordlolien

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @KidCarnival: Riddle me this, then - how would a Beholder party member fit through doors? ;)
    Ravenslightbooinyoureyes
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    Yuan-Ti would be cool. But not the BG kind, 'cause those are a joke. I'd rather see a NWN kind of yuan-ti ( I mean she controlled a whole army of undead, if I remember well) , the first time I had to fight that thing was horrible. So yeah I always liked yuan-ti , but in BG they kind of lacked power and reason to be afraid of them.
    JuliusBorisovBlackravenbooinyoureyesDungeonnoob
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Lizardfolk, perhaps? I'm thinking someone like Malack from OOTS, though preferably non-Vampiric since there's plenty of vampires already. A goblin or ogre could also be good.
    booinyoureyesElrandirCrevsDaak
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Would these things truly be called 'monsters' when they're all humanoids?
    meagloth said:

The beholder Idea has been pitched a few times and I think it's completely doable, and awesome.

I'm actually really curious about how that would work from a gameplay perspective - would the gauth be classed as a Sorcerer?
    booinyoureyes
    edited August 2014
    I find it funny how a lot of the unplayable races have class options that would make all but halfelves jealous. Gnolls, for instance, can be fighters, thieves, druids, rangers and clerics.

A gnoll Cleric/Ranger would outdo a Half-Elf since Gnolls resist disease, have higher base con, and I believe have +1 base AC.
    lolienBlackravenbooinyoureyesElrandir
    I've wanted a gnoll companion ever since I found out there was supposed to be one in "Storm of Zehir"... :(
    Blackravenjackjackbooinyoureyes
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Well, I actually prefer Githzerai. Maybe if the urge takes me one day I'll make one.
    lolienBlackraven
    I have to wonder though... my core rules Ad&D CD never showed any multiclass options for any race that wasn't one of the 6 races we know have multi-class options. Does this mean Gith can be fighter/mages or that gnolls can be ranger/clerics and that half-ogres can be fighter/druids?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Dazzu said:

I have to wonder though... my core rules Ad&D CD never showed any multiclass options for any race that wasn't one of the 6 races we know have multi-class options. Does this mean Gith can be fighter/mages or that gnolls can be ranger/clerics and that half-ogres can be fighter/druids?

Fully depends on which AD&D books you're using.

According to The Planewalker's Handbookk Githzerai can be: Fighter, Fighter/Mage, Mage, or Thief.
    Githyanki are in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix I and can be Fighter, Figher/Mage, Illusionist and Knight.

The Complete Book of Humanoids on the other hand lists most of the monstrous humanoid races as player characters:
    Gnolls can be Fighter, Cleric, Shaman, Witch Doctor and Thief. Figher/Cleric, Figher/Thief and/or Thief/Cleric could be accessible for them.
    Half-Ogres can be Fighter, Cleric, Shaman and Witch Doctor. Fighter/Cleric could be accessible for them.

JuliusBorisovlolienbooinyoureyes
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Dazzu said:

A gnoll Cleric/Ranger would outdo a Half-Elf since Gnolls resist disease, have higher base con, and I believe have +1 base AC.

This is primarily why "Monster races" are not made playable characters. They often times have either benefits or deficiencies that unbalance against the other standard player races. And the more that you try and "Balance" them, the less difference it becomes and the less it means to be able to play them. Just my opinion.
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I'd like a katana-wielding Ogre Mage!
    TuthJuliusBorisov

Dazzu said:

This is primarily why "Monster races" are not made playable characters. They often times have either benefits or deficiencies that unbalance against the other standard player races. And the more that you try and "Balance" them, the less difference it becomes and the less it means to be able to play them. Just my opinion.
    But in normal AD&D, these races tend to have highly penalized level caps. Like say 3/4 compared to a Half Elf's 7/8.
    Kamigoroshijackjacklolien
    Nah, my Ogre Mage would have the Shield of Balduran. Game over for @Southpaw...
    Oops, my bad. I meant the Shield of Mind-Blank then.
    (Now I just have to have somebody mod me one of those really quickly!)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Dazzu said:

Dazzu said:

But in normal AD&D, these races tend to have highly penalized level caps. Like say 3/4 compared to a Half Elf's 7/8.
    Those are some of the deficiencies I was talking about.

• MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
    I always wanted to see an Ettin in the BG world. A giant two headed Ettin Fighter. Would be so awesome. :))
    lolienTommyKnox777