Skip to content

What are your favourite movies?

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
I've been watching a few movies on netflix over the last few days. Anyways, I figured I'd ask this question to see what peoples favourite movies are.
RavenslightDemonoid_LimewireterzaerianDungeonnoobCrevsDaakjackjackbooinyoureyeslolienJuliusBorisovCoryNewb

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Recently I liked Open Grave, which was pretty interesting.
    elminsterJLee
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    I can't stand modern movies, they always have too much CGI and shaky cam. But I'm not a fussy movie person... Just give me Arnie, Sly, Clint, Mel, or Van Damme with a large helping of 80s cheese.

I guess if you forced me to pick... I'd choose the Terminator as my favourite.
    Ravenslightelminsterbooinyoureyes
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Ugh, I can never think of a favorite movie, especially when someone asks. I'll just list some that I liked.

Words End
    The Great Gatsby
    2001: a space odyssey(the book was better, but I think most people don't even know it exists. Sad face.)
    Wall-E
    Hmmm....
    Ratatouille
    The matrix was good....
    Terminator was meh.....
    Hmmmm.....
    I'm using a lot of ...'s
    Star Wars was... Ok... I guess....

Ugh. Like I said, I can never just conjure up all the movies I like.
    elminsterJLeelolienJuliusBorisov
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Just making sure that everyone is aware that a movie no-one is mentioning (but we should ;)) is replaying for one week only, starting August 29th: http://www.fandango.com/ghostbusters30thanniversary_175021/movieoverview
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    JLee said:

I do notice that @elminster‌ is conspicuously absent from the thread. You started it, what's on your list? ;)

I actually don't watch movies that often. That said one that nobody has mentioned is The Thirty-Nine Steps (the 1935 version).
    JLeelolien
    Star Wars... Killed it's self. A long time ago. T'is most unfortunate, but true nevertheless.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    meagloth said:

Star Wars... Killed it's self. A long time ago. T'is most unfortunate, but true nevertheless.

meaglothterzaerian
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @booinyoureyes‌

CrevsDaak‌ I'm coming to Argentina and we are having a slumber party, eating ice cream, complaining about girls and then watching this movie. Also want to see these two movies (which is crazy considering so many say they are the best ever)

Really? Yaaay!

@meagloth‌ Y U NO LIKE SW?!?!?!
    Ravenslightbooinyoureyes
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    CrevsDaak said:

@booinyoureyes‌

CrevsDaak‌ I'm coming to Argentina and we are having a slumber party, eating ice cream, complaining about girls and then watching this movie. Also want to see these two movies (which is crazy considering so many say they are the best ever)

Really? Yaaay!

@meagloth‌ Y U NO LIKE SW?!?!?!
    Sniff… Are girls allowed? I promise not to listen while you complain about girls. I’ve never seen Citizen Kane and it has been so long since I watched Gone with the Wind, or eaten ice cream…

That really does sound like fun! :)
    CrevsDaakelminsterbooinyoureyeslolien
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I've collected movies, mainly horror, since my teens. In recent years, however, I came to the same point as mentioned by @Kamigoroshi above - movies as a medium became rather predictable, after having seen so many. To me, there is little difference if Captain America defeats A, overcomes obstacle B, saves city C and ends up with lady D, or if Captain Ersatz defeats E, overcomes obstacle F, saves planet G and ends up with lady H. In the end, the summary is "X saves Y", no doubt the hero will win, be a noble hero (or edgy anti heroic cynic, depending on genre) and I don't need to know how exactly that happened. Villain defeated, everything is fine, what's more to know?

Characters more often than stories stay bland and cliche archetypes. Which is simply neccessary in the limited time a movie has to tell the story, but that doesn't make them more interesting or layered. Not even trilogies get much of a chance to develop a character or go much off the beaten track - in most cases, they'll either just get a new villain/threat and the main character(s) stay the same, or the entire franchise is rebooted and I'm being expected to have forgotten the characterization from before. It is a complete mystery to me how people can still be unaware of various currently popular superheroes and their origins. In what jungle are you living if "Spiderman's origin story" can surprise you? I don't get it.

Generally, I've always been more into series where characters as well as stories get a chance to grow and develop over time. I guess it spoils a bit to have deep, layered characters you get to know over years and characters that get 90 minutes to show who they are stand no real chance.

That said, there are a few movies that I still enjoy, for different reasons - Dark City (for the atmosphere, story and philosophy behind it), most Star Trek (even the ones considered "bad", for nostalgia - it's what I grew up with), 300 (for the visual art), A Serbian Film and Human Centipede (Full Sequence more than the first; both for crossing limits - as a long time horror/gore viewer, it is a hard task to live up to the expectations of "shocking" and "genre re-defining", which is something movies often listed along with them - Antichrist, Martyrs - did not achieve for me. Serbian Film and Full Sequence stand out for not leaving me disappointed, though they also did not shock or offend), the first two Saw (for indeed being "genre re-defining" and more intelligent than the average gorefest) and Freaks (the 1932 b/w movie, for everything it is).

I've collected movies, mainly horror, since my teens. In recent years, however, I came to the same point as mentioned by @Kamigoroshi above - movies as a medium became rather predictable, after having seen so many. To me, there is little difference if Captain America defeats A, overcomes obstacle B, saves city C and ends up with lady D, or if Captain Ersatz defeats E, overcomes obstacle F, saves planet G and ends up with lady H. In the end, the summary is "X saves Y", no doubt the hero will win, be a noble hero (or edgy anti heroic cynic, depending on genre) and I don't need to know how exactly that happened. Villain defeated, everything is fine, what's more to know?

Characters more often than stories stay bland and cliche archetypes. Which is simply neccessary in the limited time a movie has to tell the story, but that doesn't make them more interesting or layered. Not even trilogies get much of a chance to develop a character or go much off the beaten track - in most cases, they'll either just get a new villain/threat and the main character(s) stay the same, or the entire franchise is rebooted and I'm being expected to have forgotten the characterization from before. It is a complete mystery to me how people can still be unaware of various currently popular superheroes and their origins. In what jungle are you living if "Spiderman's origin story" can surprise you? I don't get it.

But how else would they make money?

Really though, @KidCarnival‌ makes a good point. More often than not, the theater is like mcdonalds. You come in and pay knowing exactly what you get. The same way a Big Mac and fry are always the same, the next superhero flick is always the same(to a point, of course).
    Not necessarily all bad(I actually really liked the latest cap. A movie, if only for the fight choreography) but definitely not fine dining. This is why I prefer television. You get a lot more room for story and character, and just more.
    And it's certainly cheaper. 2 hours of movie for $10, or a month of pretty much everything tv on Hulu for $8?

Also, @CrevsDaak‌ its not that I don't like Star Wars. I love Star Wars. It's just gotten a bit out of hand.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    meagloth said:

More often than not, the theater is like mcdonalds. You come in and pay knowing exactly what you get. The same way a Big Mac and fry are always the same, the next superhero flick is always the same(to a point, of course).
    Not necessarily all bad(I actually really liked the latest cap. A movie, if only for the fight choreography) but definitely not fine dining. This is why I prefer television. You get a lot more room for story and character, and just more.

That depends on. As there are movies which follow the same events, there are others that are pretty much different and are done without monetary purposes, most of these movies don't end up being famous in the short time, because they aren't mostly mainstream.

There are _many_ movies which don't follow that and are completely weird, the best example of this would be Brazil, from the movies I have seen, I'd consider it the best.

There's also stuff like the Cap. A movies, yes, I fell asleep while watching the first one, so I am not even thinking of watching the second one.
    meagloth said:

(I actually really liked the latest cap. A movie, if only for the fight choreography)

Watch 300. It's actually a pretty good movie when it comes to fighting and blood.
    meagloth said:

Also, @CrevsDaak‌ its not that I don't like Star Wars. I love Star Wars. It's just gotten a bit out of hand.

Yeah I know. That's why I treat them as single movies (or as a Trilogy) and *not* as a saga with 6 Episodes.
    elminsterbooinyoureyesmeaglothJuliusBorisov