Skip to content

Feeling frustrated --

Hi everyone -- I'm new *only* to playing a game like this on the iPad. I have been playing for years, going back to the *original* Castle Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem, and then through Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter, Baldur's Gate, etc. etc. and so many more. But this game on the iPad has me really frustrated, to the point of almost giving up. I've started over (from the beginning of Chapter 2) several times with different characters, Nalia, Hexxat, Jaheira, Yoshimo -- and the problem is, I can't complete a quest because I can't win a fight! I don't know what's wrong, but it seems that on any real quest, one or more of my party dies. I've tried Hexxat's quest in the graveyard, Nalia's (I can't get past a bunch of slavers), Jaheira's (stuck on the golems), on and on. I know in many games there's the equivalent of a "training dungeon," where you can build up your skills, but the sewers, for example, in this game were too hard -- again, wound up with many dead. I don't know if anybody can tell me what to do, but I just want to express frustration because I can't seem to get off the ground. :) Any ideas for a very old newbie?

Comments

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Great post @bengoshi‌!!!
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • OtilukeOtiluke Member Posts: 13
    bengoshi said:

Abuse rest, fire AoE spells from behind the fog of war, ect. Again quicksave a lot. And keep trying.

i dont think its good to say about the aoe spells & fog of war... he could discover it on his own and be happy although its lame strategy.

Basic thing: take a walk around the town and enter the houses... maybe you will find something worth taking on your journey.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Bengoshi said it perfect. This game can be *very* hard on beginners, so don't feel bad about playing on the lowest difficulty or using cheese tactics. God knows I do.
    JuliusBorisov
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Don't be afraid of looking up new spells to try and where to find them in-game. For instance, walking into a fight with stoneskin and mirror image already on means your mage isn't going to die (or get interrupted) by a stray arrow or melee attack, you mentioned Nalia, she should be capable of that. Jaheira can get something similar when she reaches 5th level druid spells with Ironskins. If you're using Hexxat or Yoshimo, don't be afraid of scouting out an encounter, or casting haste on one of them and backstabbing somebody then running the heck away back to the party.

Negative levels were something I found difficult to deal with in BG2. You may or may not like Korgan, but hitting his berserk ability makes him immune to most effects for a narrow window (he can basically tank a beholder while he's berserk), and clerics get death ward which can keep your frontline fighters alive after fisticuffs with vampires and mummies. Don't be afraid of "kiting" your enemies around the screen sometimes, I used that exact tactic against mind flayers and their ilk if the melee got to be too difficult. A tactical retreat can sometimes turn into victory around the next corner with another arrow volley.

Anyway, Bengoshi said most of the important bits, just thought I'd chime in.
    JuliusBorisov
  • mythladymythlady Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2014
    Thanks, everyone -- at this point, my game has gone wrong in so many ways, I think I'll form a new party and start over. I did turn the difficulty down. It's just frustrating because I've played so many games (including Baldurs Gate ) on a PC; I just can't get a handle on this iPad game. For one thing, it's so tiny . . . So I created a new character and she's pretty good, and I'm going thru chapter 1 very carefully. Last time I missed a bunch of stuff -- like the helm of balduran. Duh.
    Post edited by mythlady on
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    Biggest advice I can give for those battles is to use crowd control spells.

Good area of effect (AoE) crowd control Mage spells include

Horror, Glitterdust, Web, (all 2nd level)

Slow (3rd level)

Confusion, Emotion, and Teleport Field (4th level)

Chaos (5th level)

To name a few
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    Also I'm assuming the settings are generally the same when it comes to ipads compared to pc's. If so you should be able to set up the game under gameplay settings (auto-pause) to pause at the end of each round during combat. If nothing else it may make planning during combat a bit easier.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Also, on the IPAD, you might find a smaller party easier. I don't have the IPad version, but when playing on my friends, I found a four person party much easier to manage then a six person party, and that still allows you to cover tanky/healy/casty/thiefy. The more companions, generally the more fun for me, but the IPad screen makes controlling everyone something of a headache.
  • mythladymythlady Member Posts: 37
    Thanks, all -- good advice. I will follow it. I've actually completed a few quests at this point, and am making my way through the Druid Grove. Those *&% trolls are a royal pain, though.
    JuliusBorisovlunar