Skip to content

Fond Memories Of Icewind Dale: Share Your's!

ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
With this game's enhanced edition on the horizon, what better way to celebrate than for those who have played the game before to reminisce on some of their favorite moments? Here are a few of mine.

This was my first experience with the infinity engine games, and I originally played it when I was... 6? 7? After watching my brother (who was already in his twenties) play, I finally convinced him (after much begging) to let me play. It was wonderful. I never got very far in the game before my brother moved and took his computer with him, but it was an incredibly fun time, and was honestly one of the big reasons I developed a love for fantasy games/books/movies/etc. and for RPG's in general.

I still remember that MARVELOUS voice option. The voice was snarky, made sarcastic comments to the player, and used funny voices in a somewhat mocking way. As a kid, I absolutely adored it. That voice was probably one of the biggest reasons why I like playing snarky characters in games. Even my much older brother found it to be amusing as well, so it wasn't just my childish sense of humour.

The portraits. Every single one was wonderful. While Baldur's Gate's portraits are all tied to a character and are all filled with a lot of thought and design for each character, Icewind Dale's portraits were defining enough to allow for obvious class/portrait combinations, while still being a blank enough slate for you to put your own twist, your own character into them, allowing for the greatest inventive imagination. You made your own characters, and their opinions, their philosophies, their methods, their EVERYTHING was your's to create.

That first town. You're just dropped in. A man says "Want to join me on an expedition?" You say yes, and then you're free to explore, outfit yourself, and even complete some minor quests. (some that even have long-lasting effects on the game) It wasn't like BG, where you had a goal and while you had freedom to choose your path, you knew where to go. Icewind Dale's first town had so many possibilities. For a child like me, I was so amazed. I could CHOOSE what to do, I could CHOOSE my own equipment. You could (with many reloads) pickpocket several handy disposable items that made it seem worth it, just to keep trying for that one special trinket or potion that could save your hide later on. I found a quest or two that my older brother had missed, and it just made me feel that much better, knowing that the little kid me had found more than my adult brother. The first town (the name of which I can't remember) was incredible.

The disappearing robe. In the second town you come to, there's a small shop at the entrance. Most of what it sells isn't that great, but on my first trip inside, there was this super expensive robe. I don't know if it was a glitch or what, but it was this super awesome robe that I could NOT afford. I said "Well I HAVE to buy that later!" but I came back to the shop to show my brother, and it was gone. Somehow, someway, the robe was no longer there. I don't know if the shop's stock changes, I don't know if it was some cruel glitch, or what, but there was that incredible robe that I never got the chance to get.

So those're some of my fondest memories of this game. What're some of your's?
Post edited by Elrandir on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Easthaven is the name of the first town in the original campaign. Lonelywood is the name of the first town in Heart of Winter.

Honestly I don't really have that many memories of IWD from when I was younger. Too much BG :)
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @elminster‌ I'm referring to Easthaven. I never played HoW. And I only started BG this year. I've watched Let's Plays of it on Youtube, but when I bought it on Ipad this February, that was the first time I'd ever gotten my hands on it.
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    For me, the tremendous art and music just made you feel like you were truly on an epic quest more so than any other game I had played. Plus, some of the battles were so brutal that you truly were concerned for your characters safety. There are so many rpgs now that hold your hand, and you could never say that about IWD:)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Biggest memorable moment, when I finally mastered dual classing. Oh. My. God. My party got a wee bit stronger we'll say.

Meeting Kresselack was trippy.
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219

It's actually Yay, more fighting... wooow... I LOVE that one, usually put it on my front linet, even if it doesn't fit him (Normally a paladin) Just cause it cracks me up :D
    Also the really, tired annoyed line where he goes "What do you need now...?"

I used to love making theme parties when IWD first came out. I did a Star Wars theme party, and I did the cast of the first season of Big Brother, which has remained a guilty pleasure of mine.

I hunted online for a bunch of different photographs of the various movie characters and TV stars, and I would spend hours finding them and cropping them into game portraits. I think I spent as much or more time making game portraits and creating theme parties as playing the actual game.

Ever since I first played IWD, I've wanted to go back and play it again with the Fellowship (minus a few hobbits) from LotR.

Aragorn: Ranger (shocking, I know)
    Weapons: bastard swords/shields/bows

Gimli: Fighter or Berserker. I never could quite see him as perfectly fitting the berserker.
    Weapons: Axe. Duh. And single weapon style since there were no two-handed axes.

Legolas: Ranger (In EE he'd be an Archer obviously)
    Weapons: Bows and daggers.

Gandalf: Mage (Or possibly Mage/Cleric, since this party desperately needs a cleric)
    Weapons: Staff (and sword if I could mess around with the game and let him have one)

Boromir: Fighter
    Weapons: long swords and shields

Frodo: Thief
    Weapons: Shortswords
    @DreadKhan‌ I TOTALLY understand that opinion. Frodo sucks. Mary and Pippin are my favorites, but with a six man cap, I had to take ones that made more sense from a plot point of view.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Eh, none of this plot business, we all know Sam would have born the ring eith fsr less angst and mallgoth.

I hope you added Sam sfter killing off Boromir. ;)
    I actually love Boromir, so I'd rather kill Frodo. XD But if I had the option to take one of the other three hobbits (after Boromir kicks it) then it'd probably be Pippin, since he's both my favorite hobbit and an excellent fighter. (which fills Boromir's role)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Quartz said:

The atmosphere. Between the environments, music, and all sorts of items with so much back story, Icewind Dale absolutely nailed the immersive aspect of RPGs. I haven't played a game with better atmosphere, not even Half-Life 2.

You are absolutely right. When you play Icewind Dale, you can feel the cold wind blowing across your face, the arduous march through knee-deep snow, the warmth of the inn barely keeping the winter out. The entire game oozes personality and style.
    And if that isn't enough, there is generally always an army of Yeti's or other such beasts to keep you on your toes :)
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    My fondest memory of Icewind Dale is never being able to finish it...I would start a game and play and get halfway to two thirds of completing it and then stopping for various reasons....:(
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2014
    @Elrandir , you know, actually, since LotR doesn't use D&D clerics as such, I think a very good candidate for a LotR cleric would be Samwise.

He "heals" Frodo of both physical and especially mental ailments at many critical times during the epic. He sees Gollum for what Gollum is, and protects Frodo from him to the best of his ability, as Frodo constantly rejects his attempts to warn. He rescues Frodo from the undead in the swamps. He cures Frodo from the poison of the spider queen, rescuing our Charname yet again, for the umpteenth time and then some.

Samwise's ability to bless, heal, raise morale, rescue from undead, and protect from fear make him the closest to a cleric that I can see in LotR. So, he should be the LotR IWD party cleric, and should be indispensable.

Who to let go in order to include him, I'm not sure. There are so many good choices in a LotR inspired IWD party. But, offhand, I'd say that Sam and Frodo are story-required, and both Gimli and Legolas are needed in order to represent the dwarvish and elvish races.

That only leaves two slots. I'd pick Gandalf for mage, and either Boromir or Aragorn to represent the humans.
    I feel like while Sam could be considered necessary for the story, the truest "cleric" would be the elf girl Aragorn marries. (I can't remember her name to save my life) Although she wouldn't be a cleric, she'd be a druid. They both have heals, though.

I think most people would put Sam in instead of Boromir, but I just really like Boromir a lot and I feel he fits better than the halflings due to his fighting prowess. (Although, as I previously mentioned, Pippin is actually a very skilled warrior, being the first and only halfling to kill an orog-hai, which are the smarter and faster trolls that do not fear the light. One of them nearly killed Aragorn at the end of the third movie, if you're having a hard time remembering them.)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Elrandir, there are way more than six awesome characters to choose from in a LotR inspired party. Decisions, decisions. :)
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    The music and the narration was great, and the twist at the end of the game is probably my fondest memory. I really didn't expect it.

I also enjoyed the Severed Hand area. Such tragedy!

The entire game has a feel of melancholy, and the artwork in some of the areas actually evokes a shiver sometimes. It just looks so cold!

Other highlights include all the little class specific discoveries and the stories behind the various weapons and items you find along the way.