Skip to content

Icewind Dilemma

My IWD Heart of Winter copy is lagging desperately even in offline. It seems to just freeze and then proceed as normal again every 5-10 seconds. It's very distracting and dampens my enjoyment of the game, however I see no thread when I Google the dilemma that provides me with a solution. Lacking any other outlet for community aid, I thought maybe I would try my luck here.

Does anybody have any thoughts? I disabled 3D Acceleration, which seemed to be the common fix, but nothing came of that.

Sorry for spamming what is no doubt the incorrect area of the forums, but it felt equally inappropriate to post it as a bug, for it would only be a greater distraction to the developers if it were contaminating their already-heavy workload.

Thanks in advance to any who might offer a helping hand!
jackjack

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Have you cleaned your disk lately? Or the drive? Optical disks sometimes get dirty and need periodic cleaning. If it is ONLY your IWD disk and no other CD is functioning that way, take a kleenex (or better yet, one of those glasses cleaning rags) and "VERY GENTLY" clean off the disk of any particulate matter or dust. Just don't scratch the disk no matter what you do.

CD cleaner cases are also purchased at any CD store. They run maybe $15-20 and will clean your drive. Might be worth looking into.

Or you could wait till Adventure Y comes out. At least one theory is that it will be IWD:EE. Well, that's one theory anyway.
    recklessheart
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    jackjackArdulBlackraven
    JuliusBorisovArduljackjackCrevsDaak
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    It might be a simple compatibility issue, depending on which OS you have on your computer.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    @Metalloman Will the compatibility be beter tomorrow..... ;)
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Let's hope so!
    As I've understand @recklessheart‌ has the original old cd copy of IWD and probably win vista or 7 (or 8).
    It is hard to let old games like that to work 100% correctly on newer OS, that's why it's better to buy an EE or a GOG/steam/other version of certain games instead of old original retail versions: for compatibility.
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]recklessheart
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Has anyone played IWD? Is it any good? It's here in my disk drive, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Not as good as Baldur's Gate 2 but it's still worth playing IMO. So is Icewind Dale 2.

• MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
    There is one thing that I suggest you do that solved ALL my graphic and lag problems with the game.

Use the IWD Configuration Utility, and ENABLE 3D Acceleration. That should fix most of the problems you are having. If you don't have a configuration utility, go into the .INI file and enable 3D acceleration from there.

I use Windows 7 with all modern hardware and also installed using the original discs. I hope this helps.
    recklessheart
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i'm running iwd2 on a mac now with a wineskin wrapper.. i didn't think i'd even be able to install it, bought it years back when i still had a pc and it works fine
    [Deleted User]
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I had the same problem in certain areas of the game. Do you have any containers like bag of holding or potion case in your inventory? Try taking those out of your inventory and putting them somewhere safe temporarily. Make sure you save before you do in case they disappear. Then finish up what you were doing ( for me it was the quest with the lich in Dorns Deep that made my game lag really badly) and then go retrieve your bags and cases.
    Hope that helps
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    I loved both of these games.

Just remember: IWD2 is D&D 3e, very different.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    simples said:

i'm running iwd2 on a mac now with a wineskin wrapper

That is how gog.com does it as well. :)

I tried doing it with IWD2 on my macbook air but whenever I tried to run in full screen mode I just got horrible lag. I basically had to play in windowed mode (which takes quite a bit away from the experience imo).
    [Deleted User]recklessheartjackjack
    elminster
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    edited August 2014
    @elminster‌ maybe try changing some of the graphics options? i'm running it on a 5 (?) year-old macbook pro, so if you have a newer model i don't see why it wouldn't work on yours..

edit- os 10.6.8 so yeah, SUPER OLD
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    Done all of that. No matter what I do, whether its turning things down to the lowest resolution or whatever its always been super slow. The second I put it into windowed mode it works out.

I haven't tried running it since Gog.com made it available for mac. Its possible I just didn't set something right with the wrapper.

I have a mid 2011 air, so its more modern anyways.

Either way I've got a lot on my plate at the moment so its not a priority :)
    recklessheart
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Belanos said:

Has anyone played IWD? Is it any good? It's here in my disk drive, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Not as good as Baldur's Gate 2 but it's still worth playing IMO. So is Icewind Dale 2.

LOL. I guess I should have used my sarcasm tags.
    elminster
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited August 2014
    @the_spyder‌ no one gets sarcasm anymore. We're all too busy being serious.
    the_spyderArdul
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Thanks everybody for the assistance. Unfortunately nothing has worked, so my lag persists. However, my shall be to adopt the 'waiting game' approach to this dilemma. @Dee you shall have at least 1 buyer for IWD:EE, that much I can guarantee you. Take the good news back to the team :P
    jackjack