Skip to content

Finch v4.0 BETA 7 for Tutu, BG:EE and BGT!

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Guess this needs updating for v1.3 of BG:EE. After I installed Finch, I recieved the following:

./sql_compiler.c(1021): [Not Exists] Cannot find column 'time_recieved' on table 'quests'.

.\sql.c(38): sql: attempting to call NULL statment

Uninstalled. I was looking forward to Finch on a new adventure. :(
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    edited September 2014
    @Sylvus_Moonbow I install Finch on my v1.3 and she is working fine.
    Sylvus_Moonbowlolien
    edited September 2014
    Don't know what the problem is, if you got it working, that gives me hope!

I'll try a reinstall and report back.

EDIT: A second shot got the Finch package up and running. I don't know what the issue was I reported above, or how it came to be. User error on my part, no doubt!
    @Sylvus_Moonbow that can happen, I'm glad it working for you :)
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

Guess this needs updating for v1.3 of BG:EE. After I installed Finch, I recieved the following:

./sql_compiler.c(1021): [Not Exists] Cannot find column 'time_recieved' on table 'quests'.

.\sql.c(38): sql: attempting to call NULL statment

Uninstalled. I was looking forward to Finch on a new adventure. :(

That's weird. As part of the testing procedure sometimes I install the mod several times per day. I recently did it with BG:EE v1.3 too, but never had anything like that. Anyway, I'm glad it's working now.

Just a heads up: I'm currently fixing some minor legacy bugs and I will release a new beta version as soon as I'm done with it. No need to hold on and wait for the new version as those bugs are small and they have been in v3.0 for more than seven years :)

However, at least one of them can be encountered more easily in BG:EE compared with Tutu or BGT. When resting in an Inn, in particular if the Rent button is clicked too fast, some banters may fail to play. The same can happen in Tutu/BGT, but there you have to click an additional button to rest, so you have to be extremely fast to experience the bug.

Finch has three banters that are supposed to fire at rest, but the more problematic of them is the one with Imoen. In fact, If this banter doesn't fire at rest, it will be postponed and then it can randomly fire at any moment forcing the party to rest for 8 hours. See here for the original bug report.

I will make Finch scripts more robust to prevent this, in the meantime as a workaround, when resting in an Inn, I recommend waiting 1-2 seconds before clicking the Rent button.
    [Deleted User]
    @Erg You mean the one she and Imoen get back at each other? on the bed full of honeys and sticky and such??
    kaguana said:

@Erg You mean the one she and Imoen get back at each other? on the bed full of honeys and sticky and such??

Yes.
    I had it no problem, in fact it fire the first time I rest with Finch in the party.
    kaguana said:

I had it no problem, in fact it fire the first time I rest with Finch in the party.

Based on my tests, it usually works fine if you rest outside. However, if you rest in an Inn, it depends on how fast you click the Rest button.
    edited September 2014
    I rested in the inn :) anyway if it bug, fix away :)

Btw
    Erg said:

Known issues for which there is no solution (at least for now):
    2) Finch's Glasses don't do anything (other than wasting a charge) if activated from the "USE ITEM" icon (they work as usual if you right click on the unidentified item and select "SCROLL"). Unfortunately the Glasses behaviour is hardcoded, so there is nothing I can do about that.

What do you mean by this ? I didn't understand when they aren't working ?
    kaguana said:

I rested in the inn :) anyway if it bug, fix away :)

Btw

Erg said:

Known issues for which there is no solution (at least for now):
    2) Finch's Glasses don't do anything (other than wasting a charge) if activated from the "USE ITEM" icon (they work as usual if you right click on the unidentified item and select "SCROLL"). Unfortunately the Glasses behaviour is hardcoded, so there is nothing I can do about that.

What do you mean by this ? I didn't understand when they aren't working ?
    If you click this image and then this image, it doesn't work, but it will waste a charge. You have to right click on the unidentified item and select "SCROLL".
    edited September 2014
    Hoo ok yeah that what I do from inside the inventory, and you didn't find a way around it ? why they hardcoded the glasses like that? and no one can help you out with it ? like @CrevsDaak maybe ? or @AstroBryGuy‌ or others that know to mod ?
    kaguana said:

Hoo ok yeah that what I do from inside the inventory, and you didn't find a way around it ? why they hardcoded the glasses like that? and no one can help you out with it ? like @CrevsDaak maybe ? or @AstroBryGuy‌ or others that know to mod ?

For BG:EE, I've posted a request in the Master Thread of Externalization, but there is nothing I can do unless the devs decide to implement this feature. For Tutu/BGT I would have to ask that as TobEx feature, but it looks line no one is working on TobEx anymore (an unfortunate side effect of Beamdog hiring most of the modders).
    CrevsDaak
    @Erg did the devs answer about it at all ?
    edited September 2014
    kaguana said:

@Erg did the devs answer about it at all ?

Not yet, but there are a lot of requests in that thread and they'll have to be prioritised in terms of how easy they are to implement, what are the advantages and potential issues, etc.

So I'm not holding my breath :)
    Yeah will take time they have lots on their hands, so we wait no biggy if we can use it normally :)
    Okay, thanks for the heads up on Imoen. For comfort sake, I did have to rest at the Red Sheaf anyhow after picking up Finch - injured and her spell choices - so the conversation did fire for me. Looking forward to her in the party now.

I did come across a bug but not game breaking, that has to do with conversation text vs. what is spoken via the audio file. There is a "to" missing, but I'll need to find it again before reporting.
    Erg
    When clicking on Finch, one of her voice comments read,

"Finch: There are few occupations that can compare with living with your nose in a book."

Yet her voice over speaks,

"Finch: There are few occupations that can compare TO living with your nose in a book."
    kaguanaErg
    @Sylvus_Moonbow, I could fix it, but I must be sure first that it is indeed a bug and not a deliberate choice made by the original author.

The problem is that I can't change the voice over. I could change the text to match the voice over, but only if it is grammatically correct.

I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm not sure, but it seems to me that WITH is more appropriate than TO there.

If a native English speaker can confirm that TO is equivalent or even preferable, I will fix it :)
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    I'd say "TO" is equivalent enough, certainly flows better in that sentence for me.
    ErgCrevsDaak
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Erg I installed successfully Finch V4 on BGEE in French. I check the first encounter in Candlekeep by starting a new game. I also checked the meeting in Beregost from a saved game in which I hadn't met her in Candlekeep. She helped the party during the fight then we had a dialog in which she expressed surprise that we didn't meet in Candlekeep, that seemed reasonable enough. I didn't progress further.

I was surprised to find the volumes in her inventory using name and description in English. I checked the tp2 file and indeed found two items that have a hardcoded description. Here is a French translation for them in case you update this part to use tra files.

So, assuming you update the tp2 like that
    COPY ~FinchNPC/items/sufbookA.itm~ ~override/sufbookA.itm~ SAY NAME1 @1146 SAY NAME2 @1146 SAY DESC @1147 COPY ~FinchNPC/items/sufbookB.itm~ ~override/sufbookB.itm~ SAY NAME1 @1148 SAY NAME2 @1148 SAY DESC @1149
    (I used the first unused text number) and add this
    @1146 = ~Transcribed Volumes~ @1147 = ~Transcribed Volumes Finch is carrying several copies of simply-bound works such as this that she transcribed during her recent visit to Candlekeep.~ @1148 = ~The Joy of Pudding~ @1149 = ~The Joy of Pudding This well-thumbed volume is a cookbook comprising of various sweet and savory recipes such as: Turnip Whip Scald and stir in a saucepan (may substitute bucket if saucepans not in season) over low heat (may substitute Burning Hands if heat not in season): 2 cups wyvern's milk (cow's milk may be substituted if the local wyverns are cranky) 1/4 cup sugar 1/2 cup mashed turnips Pour part of these ingredients over: 1 beaten wyvern's egg yolk (if local wyverns still cranky, may substitute 4 yolks of the chicken variety) Return the sauce to the pan. Stir custard constantly over low heat until it thickens slightly or angry wyverns show up for supper. (Do not offer them a portion.) Strain custard if desired. (Picky, picky.) Cool by placing pan in cool water. (If water not in season, the author humbly suggests that the cook has bigger problems than making the perfect pudding and should stop mucking around with turnips and wyverns.) In a separate bowl, whip until stiff: 3/4 cup whipping cream Add: 1 teaspoon vanilla Fold the cold turnip custard into the whipped cream mixture. Chill thoroughly before serving. Serves 6.~
    to English tra file, here is what would be needed to translate those texts for the French file
    @1146 = ~Volumes retranscrits~ @1147 = ~Volumes retranscrits Finch transporte plusieurs copies d'ouvrages reliés simplement tels que celui-ci, qu'elle a retranscrits pendant son séjour récent à Châteausuif.~ @1148 = ~Le Plaisir du Pudding~ @1149 = ~Le Plaisir du Pudding Ce volume bien organisé est un livre de cuisine comprenant différentes recettes sucrées et salées telles que : Mousse de navet Ébouillanter et remuer dans une casserole (on peut remplacer par un seau si on n'a pas de casserole à disposition) à feu doux (on peut remplacer par Mains brûlantes si un feu n'est pas disponible) : 2 coupes de lait de wiverne (on peut remplacer par du lait de vache si les wivernes locales sont grognons) 1/4 coupe de sucre 1/4 coupe de purée de navet Verser une partie de ces ingrédients sur : 1 jaune d'oeuf de wiverne battu (si les wivernes locales sont toujours grognons, on peut remplacer par 4 jaunes d'oeuf de poule) Remettre la sauce dans la casserole. Remuer la crème constamment jusqu'à ce qu'elle s'épaississe légèrement ou que des wivernes en colère arrivent pour souper. (Ne pas leur proposer une portion.) Passer la crème si nécessaire. (Difficile, difficile.) Refroidir en mettant la casserole dans de l'eau froide. (Si de l'eau n'est pas disponible, l'auteur suggère humblement que le cuisinier a des problèmes plus sérieux que réaliser le pudding parfait et devrait cesser de faire l'imbécile avec des navets et des wivernes.) Dans un bol à part, fouetter jusqu'à ce que ce soit ferme : 3/4 coupe de crème fraîche Ajouter : 1 cuillère à café de vanille Incorporer la crème de navet froide dans la mixture de crème fouettée. Laissez complètement refroidir avant de servir. Plat pour 6.~
    Of course, feel free to adjust text numbers as you see fit.

My feedback on Indira also applies for this mod.

If you prefer, I can attach text files using CP1252 and UTF-8 encoding to make it easier to include those texts with the right encoding. If you copy and paste directly from this post, I really don't know what you will get after pasting.
    I could also include the WeiDU prompts directly in this case.

Thank you for your work on this mod. Finch could be a nice alternative to the usual Branwen/Viconia choice when I start a new game.
    Erg
    Thanks @Isaya.
    Isaya said:

If you copy and paste directly from this post, I really don't know what you will get after pasting.

According to Firefox the encoding of the text should be UTF-8, but I'll double check. I will also handle the conversion to CP1252.
    Isaya said:

My feedback on Indira also applies for this mod.

I will replace AT_INTERACTIVE_EXIT with README also for Finch :)
    Stradlin
    edited September 2014
    Uploaded new version v4.0 BETA 6 (see first post) with the following changes from the previous beta:

- Added Dream Timer to prevent dream banters (i.e. the conversations that are scripted to occur when the party rests) from firing all at once; Finch borrows, with permission, the Dream Timer code and variables from BG1 NPC Project, like Gavin and other mods designed to work with BG1 NPC Project

- Improved scripts and modified dialogue variables to ensure that dream banters are always executed (even when resting in an Inn and clicking the buttons really fast)

- Fixed order of banters to prevent normal banters from firing at rest and replace dream banters

- Fixed one of the banters with Minsc (now it fires only after Dynaheir has been rescued, as it should)

- Fixed double reward exploit in Firebead's Quest in Beregost when other mods altering Firebead dialogue, like for example BG1 NPC Project, are also installed

- Replaced AT_INTERACTIVE_EXIT with the more up to date README as command to display the ReadMe (suggested by @Isaya)

- Corrected subtitles mismatch for one of Finch phrases (thanks to @Sylvus_Moonbow for reporting the mismatch)

- Moved some strings from .tp2 to .tra files

- French translation kindly revised and updated by @Isaya

- Removed unnecessary .tra file (the English .tra file contains only ASCII characters, so reencoding for BG:EE is not required)
    GraoumfIsayaSylvus_MoonbowStradlin
    Thank you @Erg‌ :)
    Erg
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Just a quick post to say I'm happy with the news and saying Finch is my most beloved NPC. I'm a very slow player, my playthroughs take several years as I'm a chronic parallel-games&campaigns player, so I won't be much use as a tester, but I want to say:

thank you

thank you thank you

thank you thank you thank you

oh,

and did I say thank you?
    Erg
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    Just a quick note: I've run through a complete game with the latest version and everything worked properly as far as a I could tell, banters firing properly and so on. Thanks very much for the hard work.
    Erg
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Erg I cannot find if this question was asked before, but do you have in plans to convert Gavin too? I vaguely remember that I had him in one of my playthroughs few years back and he looked quite interesting back then.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Well how about that. I was just at Pocket Plane the other day to see if there was an updated version of Finch available for BG1EE, and here it is. I really liked that character, thanks for working on her.
    Erg
    Cahir said:

I cannot find if this question was asked before, but do you have in plans to convert Gavin too? I vaguely remember that I had him in one of my playthroughs few years back and he looked quite interesting back then.

@Cahir, I don't have any plans about converting Gavin, especially because my time, at the moment, is quite limited. I'm still kind of hoping that Berelinde (Gavin's author) will do it herself.
    CahirStradlin
  • GraoumfGraoumf Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 312
    edited November 2014
    @Cahir: I guess @CamDawg or Berelinde will convert it for the next version.
    This next version should be out this year (I think), because we sent the french translation yesterday, and Cam knows how I can be boring when a translation isn't implement to a mod yet. :p

More seriously, I think that we can have hope about Gavin in BGEE. :)