Skip to content

[GUI Mod] BG2:EE GUI in BG:EE (for v1.3 only)

Comments

• PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    @lefreut: thanks.
    Unfortunately I don't think so. The border seems to be harcoded, along with automatic resizing of portraits.
  • sascha_m_bsascha_m_b Member Posts: 11
    Hey, @Pecca‌. Attaching the CHU that works for me. I assume that slight offset from other ingame screens (e.g. map attached) is due to other CHUs receiving changes that will align character portraits and buttons in the same fashion as the main screen? Also there's a small non-tranparent piece in the bottom right corner of select all button.
  • sascha_m_bsascha_m_b Member Posts: 11
    @Pecca, one more thing I wanted to ask about - is there a change the greyish stony area around character portraits in the shops going away in the new version?

@sascha_m_b: sorry if I forgot to say it, but the .chu file I posted was for unmodded BG:EE GUI.
    BG2:EE GUI has slightly different coordinates. In the end, there should not be any difference from other in-game screens, that's the point of this test. (the non-trasparent piece won't be there when it's finished)

Anyway, I was able to get what I needed from @lefreut 's post, but I could surely use more information for confirmation.

I can add the store portrait bams to tweaks.
    edited August 2014
    These should be equations for unmodded BG:EE GUI.

X30=-(X-1024-2)/2
    Y30=-(Y-768-28)/2

X31=-(X-1024-2)/2
    Y31=Y+Y30-163

X32=X+X30-71
    Y32=-(Y-768-28)/2

X33=X+X30-74
    Y33=Y+Y30-113

And this *should* be for BG2:EE GUI.

x30 = - ( x - 1030 ) / 2
    y30 = - ( y - 796 ) / 2

x31 = - ( x - 1030 ) / 2
    y31 = y + y30 - 163

x32 = x + x30 - 72
    y32 = - ( y - 796 ) / 2

x33 = x + x30 - 77
    y33 = y + y30 - 113
    CrevsDaak
    edited October 2014
    Alright, I compiled WeiDU for transparent sidebars. It works for both vanilla GUIs and the GUI switch mod (transparent sidebars must be installed after). But I will need confirmations, that the buttons are in exact positions as the originals (select other in-game screens, such as inventory, and see if the buttons move, even slightly) to move it out of beta. BG2:EE has the "no gaps" tweak as an option, the gui switch mod will have it after the patch comes.

Some about the mod:
    How it works is that I create new buttons in DLTCEP and assign them existing IDs of buttons I want to show on the screen. Then, they have to be manually put in place, that's why WeiDU asks you to enter your screen resolution and calculates positions from that. These duplicates are then "hard set" on the screen, above the originals, meaning, they are always there, and always accessible (with the exception of pressing H button, which still clears the screen of everything), so if you collapse the sidebars, the buttons will remain in place.

Main disadvantages of this are:
    -Buttons may block the edge of the screen and the way out of the map (Although there is tiny space between the edge of map and buttons) and on larger resolutions there is plenty of other space.
    -All six portrait buttons are visible and if you don't have six members in a party, remaining slots will be empty (see the screenshots in the post above). I tried to mitigate this by allowing you to choose to show less portraits during WeiDU installations, if you want to play a run with less then six characters. And I will add transparent slots, so they are not just black.
    -Record and Journal buttons don't highlight on level-up or journal update.
    -Be cautious about AI button, sometimes it switches and I don't know why (even if it's caused by this). Tab tooltip never lies though.
    -Most importantly though: Portrait slots with collapsed sidebars can't be used as targets for spells and other actions! This I have been trying to figure out for some time, but I failed. You must recover the right sidebar if you want to target a portrait and it works normally (necessity for raise dead spells), otherwise you must target sprites (I actually got used to this). Character selection works as usual.

Some advantages (aside more screen obviously):
    -You can quit/load game during conversation by clicking on options button.
    -You can exploit buttons to "cheat death". If you die, you can press options or any other button to get to other in-game screen. When you go back, the screen is unlocked, but the dialog window is still locked. You will unlock it by grabbing anything from ground. They party members must resurrect you.
    Post edited by Pecca on
    Kirkor
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Pecca said:

I also created a GUI mod that places BG2:EE GUI into BG:EE (with minor tweaking). As a bonus, the red gem button that allows to displays nearby items on the ground is now also available.
    Update: I have uploaded version 1.2, with several fixes.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1082-bg2ee-gui-in-bgee/

Would this mod be compatible with version 1.3 whenever it's released (or the beta that's currently available now)?

It's not 100% compatible with the beta, but I have an update prepared which I'll release soon after the 1.3 patch comes out.
    Well the patch is out but I won't get to my computer this weekend. Nice timing.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    What do you want to add in new version? Only first startscreen?
    @Etamin: first startscreen will be completely new, the second will look exactly like from bg2:ee, including logo and title changes for whether you play BG or BP. Then it will feature several bugfixes of some bam graphics and invalid strings. I will also release new tweaks with startscreen background and in-game window edges (and maybe transparent sidebars).
    geminibruni
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    How long it may take to release new update? I don't want to play without your mod.
    I'll get to it on monday. I must check it to ensure everything works and then release it. So monday most likely.
    Oxva
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Hey. Its too early, but could you also port Icewind Dale EE UI to BGEE and BG2EE when it comes out?
    @Xzar: It should be possible.
    New update is up. I removed grey GUI mod, since I didn't update it, because I don't use it anymore. If someone misses it, let me know.

BG2:EE GUI in BG:EE is now compatible with patch 1.3 with all features previously advertised. There is one issue I was unable to fix. Options in the Black Pits menu appear with BG logo and title (but only in the menu, options in-game have correct BP logo).

If you run to any bugs, let me know here. Also, if you use tablet version, let me know if everything works, because I can't test it.
    Etamingeminibruni
  • tmcdtmcd Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 13
    Hi! I don't know if I did something wrong or not. I've been reading the threat to make sure not to but I'm still unsure. I installed the mod just like it asks: "Window Edges after Tweaks" but when I go buy something from any seller I get a small error on bottom of screen, the edges overwrite the ending of the selling options icons as well as the "Done" button.
    @tmcd: There seems to be a bug that doesn't happen to me. You have the bottom panel with store buttons disattached from the rest and gap between. Does it only happen with this mod?
    I have not tested other mods actually but if you want to test something out, just let me know. I get this gap even on unmodded game. I just alwaysa assumed it was intended as it doesn't block anything but your question made me wonder, is it like that for everyone or just me? If it's just me maybe is a game error? Or steam? IDK maybe even some installation issue...
    @tmcd: So it happens with unmodded game as well. Try to turn of "scale interface" in graphics settings and see if it remains. It should look like this:
    Yes, this solve the problem. I completely forgot I even had that turned on. Thank you!
  • KerthalKerthal Member Posts: 68
    I've the same problem but only after applying the tweaks package (Background, Tweaks & Window Edges). But when turning off "Scale Interface", it does not happen.
    Ahh, shame on me, I didn't test window edges on scaled interface and now I see, they're off everywhere. I'll make a note in the OP not to use them with scaled interface.
    Kerthal
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    Super work, thankyou
    Pecca said:

removed grey GUI mod, since I didn't update it, because I don't use it anymore. If someone misses it, let me know.

Are the screenshots still up anywhere for reference please?

Do you have screenshots for the current start screens too?
    Any luck removing/modding the 'new adventures' dlc screen please?
    @kungfuhobbit: Screenshot for current startscreen with background mod is under the second spoiler tag in the OP.
    I'll attach the grey gui screenshots here:
    Grey GUI Screenshots:

Anyway, I was unable to remove new adventures screen, but I created feature request in the internal tracker. It has not yet been decided however.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Is there a mod to play BG2EE with BGEE GUI?
    @DarkDogg: Not that I know of. But I'm not gonna make it, because I dislike BG:EE GUI very much.
  • geminibrunigeminibruni Member Posts: 276
    Pecca, your work is brilliant, i really like it...
    At this point, I think you should turn this work into something even more yours, perhaps with a colour or graphic change since you have proven to be able ...
    Congratulations indeed
    Pecca
    @geminibruni: Thanks! However, I consider this mod quite finished. The idea was to get rid of the GUI I didn't like, not to create something original. At first I thought that painting BG:EE GUI to grey would be enough, but it wasn't and I still didn't like it. So I turned my focus to BG2:EE GUI, and I happened to like it despite the fact that I was a huge fan of BG1 vanilla GUI and believed that BG:EE GUI had to be grey stone (For some time, I have also been entertaining the idea of creating completely new grey GUI, loosely based on BG1, but the amount of effort required was just waaay too much).
    And now I am satisfied and do not plan on expanding this mod graphically any further.

That said, I could accept request, if they required only a "reasonable" amount of time (such as wider/thinner dialog window, etc...). I have tweaked this mod for my personal use quite extensively and have a lot unused art assets for it.

After the 1.3 patch and finally got to actually playing the game after a long time, so I won't be modding much for some time. :)
    geminibruni
  • skullzscaryskullzscary Member Posts: 1
    hi, may i request an alternative download with the same gui, but without the big skull? you can change it to something different... it just skulls freak me out =(