Skip to content

Did George R.R. Martin copy Ed Greenwood?

TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
edited September 2014 in Off-Topic
I know that a lot of fantasy takes from previous similar stories. For example:

Lord of the Rings took a lot from Norse Mythology
Dungeons and Dragons took a lot from Lord of the Rings

However, sometimes the name similarities are all too suspicious.

In Game of Thrones we have the Iron Throne, which is quite literally a throne made of iron. Though I bet when fans of Baldur's Gate, who also got into Game of Thrones, saw this they were shocked. The Iron Throne in Baldur's Gate is, as we know, a building for trade, but the similarities of the two being deceptive, rich powerhouses is suspicious.

Now, this I could easily see as being coincidental if it were actually the case. Iron Throne as a title isn't exactly a tricky name to put to a structure (just look on google images and you'll find thousands of varieties). However, it struck me that there are a few more strong similarities. The Spine of the World is a long stretch of icy tipped mountains that is often referred to as "The Wall". In Game of Thrones we have an ice wall also referred to as "The Wall". Beyond both versions of the wall lay mysteries, barbarians and icy tundras. Generally these images I would imagine were meant to be a fantasy representation of Hadrian's Wall in England/Scotland.

The final comparison I can make (other than the obvious ones like dragons, magic and alchemy) is that the landscapes are quite similar. As mentioned before we have the icy tundras at the northern most point of areas of Westeros and Faerun. Then we have northern peoples, similar to medieval age cultures (Winterfell and Neverwinter). Going more towards the centre of the regions we have the Iron Thrones (in Kings Landing and Baldur's Gate). Then as we travel further south it becomes even more suspicious. The southern lands in both fantasy worlds are desert-like tundras (if my sources are correct). Dorne and Calimsham.

It all smells very fishy to me, especially considering Game of Thrones was written about 5 years after these sort of places were created.

(Better blame House Tully)

Thoughts?
Post edited by Metalloman on

Comments

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    I personally think that Martin is better in letting characters to die than in creating fantasy worlds.
  • melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26

Thoughts?

I think that in both those settings North is where the cold stuff is because North is where the cold stuff is on Earth, not because one copied the other.

Also, I'd say the fact that between the 5000 pages of ASoIaF and who knows how many of FR you found one thing that has the same name (but doesn't represent the same thing) is a fairly weak case for your claim.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I think that smell you're smelling is the bodies of all your favorite characters that are dead.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited September 2014
    I too agree that all these similarities are coincidental, in the end and since 20 years to nowadays, it's really hard to create a really original medieval/ancient age fantasy settings, almost all ideas are already taken and all of them, willing or not, all of them are inspired by our Earth history. The hard part is to give your personal touch in a way that let others feel that your product is somewhat original, but there's a harsh limit: human behavior in time.

Also when planning climatic regions you can't do much than copying Earth settings or do the opposite: everything else will imply different physics and so you'll consequentially have a high fantasy world with a great unrealistic feeling, that it could be explained with Power Word: Magic! but not always will give you complete satisfaction.

Recent fantasy failed to give me satisfaction for a reason or another...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited September 2014

In Game of Thrones we have the Iron Throne, which is quite literally a throne made of iron. Though I bet when fans of Baldur's Gate, who also got into Game of Thrones, saw this they were shocked. The Iron Throne in Baldur's Gate is, as we know, a building for trade, but the similarities of the two being deceptive, rich powerhouses is suspicious.

You are right of course. A Song of Ice and Fire came out as a book 2 years before Baldur's Gate did. The makers of Baldur's Gate may have copied the name :)

As for the north having barbarians, the middle having more developed cities, and the "south" having deserts I would argue that probably would mirror a roman view of the world . I don't think its a new concept in fantasy.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    And most of the characters in got speak ENGLISH, justlike in Greenwood's books....Classic copying unless Greenwood and Martin are the same person.

Someone must sue someone...and faaast!
  • elminster said:

You are right of course. A Song of Ice and Fire came out as a book 2 years before Baldur's Gate did. The makers of Baldur's Gate may have copied the name :)
    Wasn't there already a history of Baldur's Gate before the games came out?

Just to say guys I'm not making this post to flame or aggravate people, if anything it's to get some interesting discussion on fantasy, other similarities and friendly banter :D
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    melakon said:

mlnevese said:

I have no words to describe this... we should punish @booinyoureyes‌.

Why, because he dares to speak the truth?

It's like Galileo Galilei all over again!

I will not be silenced!

The truth is out there
    I want to believe
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

melakon said:

mlnevese said:

I have no words to describe this... we should punish @booinyoureyes‌.

Why, because he dares to speak the truth?

It's like Galileo Galilei all over again!

I will not be silenced!

The truth is out there
    I want to believe
    @booinyoureyes‌ I think you have the wrong TV Series in mind :)
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    edited September 2014
    @Squire And the Wall ofcourse :P
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317

Wasn't there already a history of Baldur's Gate before the games came out?

Baldur's Gate the city? Sure (Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast was written I believe in 1994) and there could have very well been earlier references to it than that. As far as I know the Iron Throne however was not mentioned prior to the BG games. It certainly isn't in Volo's Guide (as he spends the majority of his time talking about the drinking establishments in the city and very little about the grand dukes or politics).
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Okay, there might be a thing called "the Wall" in FR, but considering that this is a range of mountains in which there is no garrison stationed and nobody but the weather to prevent crossing it, I think it's more likely that GRM took inspiration from Hadrian's Wall. :-p

Also, just like in Westeros, England is populated mainly by the descendants of German and Danish invaders, and the people who live north of Hadrian's Wall have a tendency to not like us English. There are even redheaded women there, though I can't speak for whether or not they like to remind Englishmen of how little they know. ;-)
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I've got "a wall" around my front garden, but I'm not seeing any royalties.
  • ryuken87 said:

I've got "a wall" around my front garden, but I'm not seeing any royalties.

Royalties from Game of Thrones would be being tickled to death :P