Skip to content

Swashbuckler weapon questions

Now that Drizzt's scimitars are no longer available, are scimitars still worth it as an early weapon for a swashbuckler? I still plan to pick up the proficiency for the scarlet Ninja-to after uai, but I was wondering if another weapon like daggers or shortsword might be better in BG1 now. Any thoughts?

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    They are good, you can nab 2 +2 Scimitars.

The alternative imho is daggers or longswords. The Dag of Ven is very strong, and you can nab a 2nd +2 dagger very early. Also, there is the anti-werewolf dagger. And finally, spec in daggers allows you to throw them effectively anf fight with a buckler until you get good DWing.
  • jubangojubango Member Posts: 11
    Awesome, this is pretty close to what I was thinking. I knew at least that the dagger of venom was a very strong alternative. How easy is it to get fairly early?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, if you have high charisma and play high rep, its not that expensive even. You might grab the +2 dagger first, if you dont use 'hidden Easter Egg items' to sell for money. If you dont use those, it should be no trouble to get it and Shadow Armour early Ch 3.

Whst race? Halforc is a brutal melee swashie. That str is HUGE early. If you take 19 cons, there is a buckler to get +1 Cons early, 20 cons gives very slow regeneration.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    I second @DreadKhan‌ 's choice in daggers. After numerous playthrough, I now see daggers as an ideal missile weapon for BG1 - big damage, based on STR, maximum range, usable with a buckler and you can switch to the Dagger of Venom if needed to melee.

I like the concept of dual-wielding daggers too.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Why aren't Drizzt's scimitars available anymore, did they change something in the patch?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @ryuken87‌

Yes, as of version 1.3, these scimitars no longer can be pickpocketed, see the OP http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34294/pickpocketing-drizzt-not-possible-anymore#latest

If you want to change it, this mod lets you: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/541671/#Comment_541671