Skip to content

Too easy... Normal?

Hello everyone,

I am so happy with this EE release and I have decided to come back to play That great game. I have create a fighter/mage and I am at the beginning of chapter 3. Is it normal that i find no challenge in this game so far in Core rules?

I have a complete group of six and beside the sirine, no challenge whatsoever. I did one full playthrough like 12 year ago and play SoA just a bit ( had my first kid!) so i do ont consider myself a powergamer or a hardcore player.... I with this game was more challenging already...

Should I accept this fact and walt untel in the game because it will get tougher? Or maybe SoA and ToB are the real challenge?
Any tips or comments?

Tanks,

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Chapter 3 in bg1, right? It should get harder. If your finding it easy... Well, not very many people find it easy their first go. Make sure the difficulty slider is all they way up and maybe try SCS if it stays boring.
  • RagnarrRagnarr Member Posts: 24
    Thanks! Well like i said, i did only one full run 12 years ago but i am an able player with rpgntype of gAmes. Still, maybe the idea of playing a F/M even at low level wasnt a good one for me. I am considering keeping the difficulty slider at core rules when levelling up, at least for npc. Maybe i will reroll a pure mage instead?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    It's funny how while someone struggles and thinks that BG is very hard, someone finds it too easy :)

A F/M is one of the most powerful characters but not class/kit determines whether it's easy or hard for you - it's your own actions.

When you will face a mage fight, you'll find your difficulties. And the further in the game, the more mage fights you will face. So, don't worry, this game will still be tough for you. SoA and ToB, of course, are much harder in this context.

And if you still find the game simple, you indeed can follow @meagloth‌ 's advice and install the SCS mod. In this case, the game may seem too hard, though:)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Depends on what spells you've been using for your mage half. Sleep for instance can make the earlier parts of the game much easier than they would be otherwise (at least until you get a wand of sleep hehe).
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The game isnt too challenging until the end of Ch 3, but 4 really has some surprises for you!

Note, if you play random the game is more unforgiving... mistakes will kill you quick if you roll poorly.
  • RagnarrRagnarr Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for all of your comments. I am still wondering what to do. Continu with my FM knowing that I will become a killing machine in SoA or reroll another character, like a pure mage. I have heard that the battle in SoA and Tob will get epic sometimes but will it be challenging with my FM protagonist fully buffed and all? I know that a mage get very powerful towar the end also but I least it is challenging to stay out of fire range.

Also, there is the difficulty level and the HP level up issu. Right now, I do lower the difficulty level to normal for my protagonist (plan on exporting) and sometimes for the npc if very poor rolls. Should I leave it on Core and live with it to increase difficulty? will I get screwed in SoA and ToB beacause my FM or Mage is too weak then? Lord, many questions isn't?

I know it's also about the party and evrything... and by the way I have been using sleep and command alot.

Even though mu protagonist might seem overpower, I have put 17 in stenght en constition not to exagerate and RP a bit more, but I do have 18 in dex and int... but again it's a party of six thing and maybe it'S notrmal that Nashkel felt like a joke for someone who is used to RPG...
  • Sleep is uber powerful and vastly decreases the difficulty of most early BG1 encounters. It stops working at some point, so I'd say play on. I wouldn't worry about SoA and ToB being too easy.

If you finish Bg1 with a very good understanding of the combat system and find yourself using the most efficient spells and abilities depending on the type of enemy you face, install SCS for SoA.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    If you know what you're doing and have a properly strong character, BG can be easy at times. There will be harder parts, but I'd suggest you just up the difficulty one level. It's more fun when you have that old-times-revival feeling about when you were 12 and playing the game for the first time and had no idea what you were doing.