Skip to content

IWD characters

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
So based on the thing below, I thought it would be a nice idea for everyone to share the characters and their background stories you came up with based on the portraits that are available in IWD and IWD2.
Basically, your headcanons for each portrait.

Here are all the portraits:

Males:
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Females:
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright, I'll make the start.
Here is my party from IWD2 (for my other playthroughs I used custom portraits).

Name: Ribert van Gorgen
Race: Human
Class: Paladin of Helm
Alignment: Lawful Good
Personality: Honorable, kind, stubborn, a bit naive, overly optimistic, keen, sometimes reckless, likable, not the smartest, sometimes sad about his age and that he is not as athletic as he used to be, very religious, dutiful
Bio: Ribert grew up in Neverwinter, as a member of a lower royal family. He knew soon that he wanted to be a Paladin and so he joined the local order of Helm. When he was in his mid twenties, he married a woman of the same noble class, with which he had two daughters, Anar and Mara. About ten years ago, he left his order and moved with his family to Luskan, in hopes that he could bring some justice into the sinfilled town.

Name: Anar van Gorgen
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Neutral Good
Personality: laid back, practical, stubborn, rough, snarky
Bio: Anar was a teenager when her family moved to Luskan, where she quickly slipped into the darker sides of the town, much to her parent's dismay. After a few rebellious years, she got back in line again and joined the city guard, where she was trained as a fighter. Unlike the rest of her family, she is not overly religious.

Name: Martin Jorgson
Class: Ranger
Alignment: Neutral Good
Personality: silent, introvert, doesn't like crowds, practical
Bio: Martin grew up in a village near Luskan and was trained as a gatekeeper. The others don't know much about him because he mainly keeps to himself. He does seem to follow Anar around, though.

Name: Mara van Gorgen
Class: Cleric of Helm
Alignment: Lawful Good
Personality: Stubborn, serious, keen, dutiful, strong sense for justice, not a good sense of humor, leery
Bio: Unlike her older sister, Mara never fell in with shady figures of Luskan. She began to despise the city very early, which led to her wanting to step into her father's footsteps. However, she wasn't cut out to be a warrior like her dad and sister, so she decided to become a cleric instead.

Name: Ricardo Emere
Race: Lightfoot Halfling
Class: Rogue
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Personality: Quick, self proclaimed lady's man, kleptomaniac, troublemaker, good actor
Bio: Ricardo originally hails from Athkatla. His parents where terrible which lead to him becoming a streetrat. He likes women a lot and it's his hobby to woo them (sometimes more successful than other times). He travels a lot, mostly to escape the cityguard and husbands of the places he has been too. One day it took him to Luskan where he made the mistake to break into the van Gorgen estate. Ribert caught him and the two made a deal, that Ricardo would have to be Ribert's servant and help him to fight for justice in exchange for not handing him over to the guards. The two actually became friends and now Ricardo follows the paladin out of his own will. Though it looks a lot like he only sticks around to be close to Ribert's daughters ....

Name: Gabaldras Regites
Race: Sunelf
Class: Mage
Alignment: Neutral good
Personality: Kind, patient, eloquent, curious, smart, wise, likes children, likes teaching, a bit of an airhead
Bio: Gabaldras originally hails from Evermeet but he was soon get the travel bug and moved to the mainland where he became an instructor at the wizard's academy. There he met the back then only seven year old Ribert's mother, who herself was a teacher at the academy. They became friends and Gabaldras became like an uncle to Ribert. Many years later, when Ribert himself became a father, he became Anar's and Maya's godfather.
JuliusBorisovlolienPaladinbooinyoureyesElrandirNimranFandraxxrufus_hobartRAM021kaguanaStarflower2525FredjoTroodon80

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Gonna tag the folks who where in the original post:
    @booinyoureyes‌ @jackjack‌ @Quartz‌ @Elrandir‌ @meagloth‌ @CrevsDaak‌
    lolien
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I like your party choices Buttercheese. I've never thought about including family members in the party. This makes a lot of sense. My parties tend to me a hodge podge of all the different races, so I'll have a human, an elf, a dwarf, a gnome, a halfling, and a maybe a half-elf for good measure. I'll post one of my teams in a bit. Thanks for sharing.
    Buttercheeselolienkaguana
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2014
    I couldn't quite put my finger on it but it just came to me. Your party reminds me of "The Winter Rose" pre-made party from IWD2. It's definitely it's own thing, but I can see some similarities. That must be why I like it. The Winter Rose was my favorite of the pre-made parties.

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/party3_wr.php

As a suggestion for others who are trying to come up with their own party ideas, take a look at the other IWD2 pre-made parties. Some nice roleplaying ideas there.
    ButtercheeseJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    meagloth said:

one is a firefly party with Malcolm Reynolds as a fighter 2->swashbuckler and my other idea was a poor-character party of my real life friends;) I think it would be funny to see how long we last as adventurers.

I've done one of those. But I really only used their names. I didn't base the characters on them.
    lolien
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited September 2014
    I don't really have many "memories" of characters I made from when I first played, but I've been preparing the party that I'll be using for my role-played play-through here on the forums.

Nice to have an easy way to view all the portraits. Helps me choose the ones I've been unsure of. I do hope all of the IWD2 portraits are available. After all, we really don't have much in the way of half-orc pictures otherwise.

Edit: After looking over the males a second time, I'm still not sure what my cleric/ranger will look like... None of them scream cleric/ranger to me.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    I think i've settled on a name tell me what you think, also i can make bios for the other characters if anyone would be interested in reading them.

Vexar Ironbones

I came up with it based on the fact that we has able to get through his sisters death and tracking down her killer while only feeling a bit sad :P
    JuliusBorisovkaguana
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Fandraxx‌ I like it, but how is the 16 year old the party leader? Like, yeah, he's proven he's a tough guy, but he's still a kid. Surely not everyone in the party is that young/willing to follow a youth.
    booinyoureyeskaguanajackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @meagloth‌ I believe @AstroBryGuy‌ has developed a Wineskin wrapper for EEKeeper to make it work on Macs.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    jackjack said:

@meagloth‌ I believe @AstroBryGuy‌ has developed a Wineskin wrapper for EEKeeper to make it work on Macs.

Yeah, I'll see how that goes. I'm not familiar with wineskins at all, or EEkeeper for that matter. We'll see. I may just end up asking someone from around here do do it.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited September 2014
    meagloth said:

So yea I want to do I Firefly playthrough... You know, I might even make custom sound sets from the show. That would be awesome. Help me decide what classes. (IWD starts you off at level one, right?)
    I think most of the people on firefly end up with a lot of thief blood in them, so I might have to fudge some things:) everyone will be human unless I need to change it for a multiclass.

Malcolm Reynolds-chaotic good
    Fighter 2-->swashbuckler.... I'll need to figure out EEkeeper.... I have a Mac. Oh well, he may just be a thief.
    Anyway, *dagger and **crossbow and *in single weapon style in the beginning. Not sure we're I'll go from there.

Jayne Cobb-chaotic neutral
    Berserker
    **longbow **two handed sword

Simon Tam-true neutral
    Cleric/Mage
    *dart *quarterstaff

Derrial (Shepard) Book-lawful neutral
    Monk
    *punching things *katana *dagger(I don't remember how many *'s monks get at one)

River Tam-chaotic good
    Sorcerer
    *dagger *sling

Inara Serra-true neutral
    Bard(fudging)
    *shortbow *longsword

Any thoughts? Especially on proficiencies—I don't know what the good weapons are.

Mal -> Fighter/Thief multi. use BG2 Tweaks to allow humans to multi-class.
    Long sword** x-bow* single-weapon*

Berserkers can't go beyond proficient in ranged weapons. So, maybe two-handed style or a blunt weapon for Jayne (always good to have a backup weapon). I kind of like Hammers for Jayne.

I'd make Book a Fighter -> Cleric dual-class. He's a warrior who put down the sword and picked up the holy book (but can still wield it when needed). I'd even fudge him to already be like a 7th level fighter, but 1st level cleric. He'll have mondo HP, but his THAC0, proficiencies, etc.. will be as a cleric. I'd even make some of his fighter proficiencies in weapon unusable by clerics to show his life-change wasn't planned.
    Profs: Staff, sling (fighter ones: hmmm, well I'd make several unusable by clerics: katana***, dagger*, two-weapon fighting**)

River would be my monk. Weak at first, but with amazingly frightening powers as she develops.
    Monks get 2 profs. For River, I'd do darts and Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-to. I guess I'd want to make sure there's some of those weapons available, of course - replace scimitar with dagger or short sword if I'm worried about availability of wakizashis/ninja-tos.

Cleric/Mage can't use darts. Simon should be sling & mace (& shield)

Inara as a Bard - perfect.
    jackjack

meagloth said:

So yea I want to do I Firefly playthrough... You know, I might even make custom sound sets from the show. That would be awesome. Help me decide what classes. (IWD starts you off at level one, right?)
    I think most of the people on firefly end up with a lot of thief blood in them, so I might have to fudge some things:) everyone will be human unless I need to change it for a multiclass.

Fighter 2-->swashbuckler.... I'll need to figure out EEkeeper.... I have a Mac. Oh well, he may just be a thief.
    Anyway, *dagger and **crossbow and *in single weapon style in the beginning. Not sure we're I'll go from there.

Berserker
    **longbow **two handed sword

Simon Tam-true neutral
    Cleric/Mage
    *dart *quarterstaff

Monk
    *punching things *katana *dagger(I don't remember how many *'s monks get at one)

River Tam-chaotic good
    Sorcerer
    *dagger *sling

Inara Serra-true neutral
    Bard(fudging)
    *shortbow *longsword

Any thoughts? Especially on proficiencies—I don't know what the good weapons are.

Mal -> Fighter/Thief multi. use BG2 Tweaks to allow humans to multi-class.
    Long sword** x-bow* single-weapon*

Berserkers can't go beyond proficient in ranged weapons. So, maybe two-handed style or a blunt weapon for Jayne (always good to have a backup weapon). I kind of like Hammers for Jayne.

I'd make Book a Fighter -> Cleric dual-class. He's a warrior who put down the sword and picked up the holy book (but can still wield it when needed). I'd even fudge him to already be like a 7th level fighter, but 1st level cleric. He'll have mondo HP, but his THAC0, proficiencies, etc.. will be as a cleric. I'd even make some of his fighter proficiencies in weapon unusable by clerics to show his life-change wasn't planned.
    Profs: Staff, sling (fighter ones: hmmm, well I'd make several unusable by clerics: katana***, dagger*, two-weapon fighting**)

River would be my monk. Weak at first, but with amazingly frightening powers as she develops.
    Monks get 2 profs. For River, I'd do darts and Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-to. I guess I'd want to make sure there's some of those weapons available, of course - replace scimitar with dagger or short sword if I'm worried about availability of wakizashis/ninja-tos.

Cleric/Mage can't use darts. Simon should be sling & mace (& shield)

Inara as a Bard - perfect.
    Are you speaking mechanically or in respect to the characters personality? Character wise I'd really rather have Mal as a swashbuckler(he *is* a ship captain) and he was in the war so he got some fighter levels. I could dual him at a higher level, but not past 5 or 6.
    I'd also like to have my first playthrough vanilla anyway.

I'm definitely keeping River as a sorcerer. I really want one in my group(it's a personal thing) and I think it fits best because

She's a Psychic. If half-illithid(I'll never get that mental image out of my head) was a playable race that would be great... But I think sorcerer is defiantly the closest to psion.

I also like shepherd as a monk. Religious, but a surprisingly capable fighter. And in the first episode he says he came from a monastery. It seem like a logical connection. Also, I don't want to fudge stats to much, and Book works out with Jayne so he can get decent strength RP wise I'm not about to make river Melee-capable. I'm all for the proficiency changes, however. I've never played iwd dale so I don't know what's good.
    So now I have

Berserker
    *longbow **two handed sword *two handed weapon style hammers later

Simon Tam-true neutral
    Cleric/Mage
    *sling *quarterstaff mace later, I think.

Monk

River Tam-chaotic good
    Sorcerer
    *dagger *dart

Inara Serra-true neutral
    Bard(fudging)
    *shortbow *longsword probably spear or quaterstaff(which has better selection?) and xbow later
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'd almost be inclined to make Mal a Stalker and Simon a Cleric/Thief. On account of Mal being a definite fightin'-type and Simon sneaking into a highly-secure government facility that one time.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Maybe you could min/max her wisdom and intelligence, to show that she is crazy?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Maybe you could min/max her wisdom and intelligence, to show that she is crazy?

She may be crazy, but she is both insightful (Wisdom) and highly intelligent.

I would just go for extremely OP.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That party is missing Kaylee D:D:
    rufus_hobartJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    jackjack said:

Gnome Tinker?
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
    jackjack said:

I know but I can only have 6 people and I think she would probably end up being a pure class thief, which is not a good thing, apparently.
    @AstroBryGuy‌ yes, I know. But that's at the very end, for the most of it she's not all badass like that, and I think a shapechange spell a thigh level is the same deal:) also, I'm not as familiar with the movie as I am with the t.v. Show, so I'm mostly thinking about that over the movie. (the movie isn't on hulu)