Skip to content

Having some issues after this patch

sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
So after this patch got installed i've been having some serious sound issues, the music works fine all the time, but EVERYTHING else when it comes to sounds works only half the time, whether i'm in game, or even the character creation menu, does anyone know whats happening? my sound works fine with all my other games plus with music and youtube and all that good jargon, and no matter how i change my sound on my sound card, it's just not working for the bgee/bgeeII series, and also, is there a way to get rid of the npc names over their heads when i hit tab? i like it how it used to be, where it just high lighted barrels and treasure piles and showed HP, the names of characters and npcs is not necessary in my opinion, can that also be fixed as well?

Comments

• FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited September 2014
    I wouldn't mind an option to turn off HP/names of party members when pressing tab, however that would better belong in the Feature Request section of the forum. I find it clutters the screen excessively.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yeah it kinda does, and now, my sound is going all hey wire, it almost sounds like im having sound memory leaks, i have no clue what is going on and for the life of me, i just can't fix it, the only time where it seems to kind of work with with new content stuff everything runs well with the dialogues been when it comes to game time, the sound crashes and it seems like the game only wants to run a couple sounds at a time and just mute everything else, this is very frustrating
    What's your soundcard, motherboard and operating system?
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Champion PCI-E 1X 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 Optical, 990fxa-ud7, windows 7 64 bit,
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    edited September 2014
    @sarevok57‌ was it OK before the BG:EE patch, plus is it affecting both BG:EE (which has the 1.3 patch) and BGII:EE (which has not got the 1.3 patch).

Oh, & a quick search revealed this which suggests reverting back to earlier drivers for a slightly different issue but looks to be the same sound card. I don't know if you want to try that but have mentioned it in case it helps determine the cause.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32452/stuck-after-first-conversation-in-irenicus-dungeon-solved
    @Gate70 it was okay before the patches, and i checked out that link and i dont think im having the same issue, and yes it affects both games, i just completed bg1 and what seems to happen is; everytime i go to a new area all the sounds will work for about 3-5 seconds or so and then they will all mute, except for the music and ambient sound ( which i believe is background sound) and then after that every once in a while, one of my sound effects will work just once, i have tried reinstalling and updating drivers, that didnt work ( when i first had this problem i didnt have an installed driver for my sound card so i updated it and it didnt change the issue at all) im almost thinking it has something to do with how the enhanced games render their sound, because my sound works perfectly fine everywhere else and even in starcraft 2 i set the sound to be able to play over 100 at once and it performs perfectly, i've been trying so many things with sound configuration on the OS and drivers and what not, and for the life of me to no success
    OK.

I can understand why BG:EE might have changed behaviour after the patch but I'm struggling to think why the BG:EE patch would affect BGII:EE as the two games should be independent of each other.
    well i did install a new solid state hard drive and reformatted it to make it my OS, and then i redownloaded bgee and bg2ee and then that whacky sound issue came up, i even loaded the unpatched versions of bgee and bg2ee ( the 1.2 version) from my other hard drive and they have the same issue
    scratch all the nonsense i've been spewing, i have finally fixed it, i uninstalled my driver for my card, restarted my pc, the pc installed it's own drivers and now it works perfectly fine, who would have thought that uninstalling and reinstalling drivers would actually fix something -.-
    *sigh* and here i thought it was fixed, if i just keep the default drivers that windows uses for my sound card, the bgee games sound works perfectly fine, but then none of my sound card software works and its stuck in 2.1 speaker format, and then i updated my drivers again so i can use 5.1 and my sound card software, bgee sound went back to not working properly again, *sigh* there is just no winning
    Understand your frustration @sarevok57‌ but this should help narrow down what is happening.

Can you advise driver versions to make it clear which works and which doesn't. & is there any option to switch speaker configuration on the newer driver to see if that makes any difference.

@Dee any thoughts on this - 2nd instance where drivers for this card cause issues.
    well if i go through the motherboard, the sound works just fine, but it gets stuck in 2.1, i looked up the driver details and it tells me that the version is 6.0.240.8, if i uninstall and reinstall i dont know what drivers it uses, probably just whatever basic driver windows 7 needs to make it function at minimum, but then even more whacky things happen, it tells me to restart my pc for the drivers to complete and when i do, i goes back to the way it was, maybe its just this sound card in general this game series is just not liking, if i were rich i would just buy a new sound card because its going to be months yet before i can start forking out money on such silly things :)
    edited September 2014
    It kinda sounds similar to the issue I had with a Creative XFI Extreme Music and Auzentech XFI Forte soundcards. Initially, after a random amount of time after Windows starts up, all audio output from the soundcard will suffer severe distortion and the only way to fix it (temporarily) is to reboot the whole PC.

After a few months (3 to 6~ if you're lucky) the entire audio amplification chip on the soundcard will die resulting in the audio being exceptionally quiet (Can still hear it without issue if you severely crank your external amplifier, strongly not recommended).

With my Creative soundcard it only had one year warranty and couldn't be repaired because it failed outside of the warranty period, with my Auzentech soundcard the issue started shortly before the 2 year warranty expired so I managed to get it repaired (Now 1 or 2 years later Auzentech is bankrupt, yaaay?).

When I get a new soundcard I'll be considering options that don't involve Creative hardware.
    yeah, its unfortunate, creative had some great stuff, when it feels like working properly that is
    edited September 2014
    Yeah their Soundblaster Vibra 128 soundcard worked extremely well in Windows 95c, Windows 98/se, Windows ME (Use the VXD drivers, not WDM), DOS 7.10 and DOS 8. Never had an issue with that soundcard, no longer own it anymore though :/
    @Gate70 so i just started a bgII game, and virtually that same issue happened with me. When i finished irenicus' dungeon and went outside, one of the coweled wizards was supposed to say his line, but instead everyone just stud around and did nothing, then i reloaded and the same thing happened again, the only way for me to continue in the bg series now is to not use my sound card and use my onboard audio ( which is annoying because it is complete garbage) *sigh* well there every be a fix for this? or will i just have to eventually fork up money to buy a new sound card which would be a complete waste since it works perfectly fine for everything else
    edited September 2014
    Hey @Dee, is there a software renderer for the audio engine? Is it possible to expose that to the user somehow (Maybe as a config file option?)? That would probably resolve such issues. You'd obviously lose positional audio but that's a small price to pay for a functional game I think.
    @Dee, nooooope, didn't work unfortunately, guess i will just have to continue using onboard :( and if it helps, the music and background sound works just fine, its just the other 3 that are having troubles
    OK, racking my brain to see what else could be an option.

In the Baldur.ini file, located in the game install folder, there is an Environmental Audio value. If set to 1, could you try changing it to 0.
    @Gate70 , nope, no dice, i have had this game work with this sound card before, but what happened is about a week ago i changed to a solid state hard drive and reinstalled my OS and reinstalled the bgee series, so i'm kinda thinking it's having some issues with the driver i have, this is what my driver currently says:PCIe SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series, Driver version 2.40.8
    I'd tend to agree. Might also be worth checking what version of directX you now have.

If your driver was an older version before, that might be a factor. Are you able to try older versions of it? Looks like the previous version was available from 2010 to March 2014 so presumably not too shabby.
    (& I hope I've got the right product for you there)

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=208&prodID=17813&prodName=Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series&subCatName=X-Fi Series&CatName=Sound+Blaster&VARSET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_17813,VARSET=CategoryID:1
    @Gate70 ah yes, we have finally found success, the older driver works like a charm, the sound works properly in bgee series, and i can use all the crazy software that comes with my sound card as well, so i believe that narrows down what the problem is, the new driver version 2.40 is bugged with this game, but the one you gave me ( 2.17) works like a charm
    Glad to hear it @sarevok57‌

Moving this to the troubleshooting forum.
    Thanks
    sarevok57