Skip to content

Is four too few?

2»

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

I can't remember--is Find Familiar in this game?

If it wasn't before, it will be now.
    NonnahswriterGoturalbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    jackjack said:

I can't remember--is Find Familiar in this game?

If it wasn't before, it will be now.
    Now I'm curious. Is the mage going to have to be the party face if she wants to have a familiar? Or will it not matter in this version, as there is no true Charname like in Baldur's Gate? Will other party members be allowed to talk to the familiar?

Hmmm... Decisions, decisions...
    GoturaljackjackJuliusBorisov
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    4 is perfectly fine for iwd1 and iwd2 and even for heart of fury as long as you have the 4 "core" member.

Mage: mass hold, mass control, summoning (you will need many meat shield)
    Cleric: full heal, mass full heal
    Warrior: your champion
    Thief: to have a more enjoyable journey, more loot, less poison trap and more nice spell for the mage and cleric

Of course you can create a one man army since in iwd this is possible to be 30/30/30 fighter/mage/thief.. But, I think that this is more fun with a full team to control.
    NonnahswriterQuartzJuliusBorisov
  • PantaloonsPantaloons Member Posts: 25
    It can be done with three, but you're pushing it.
    QuartzJuliusBorisov
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    My initial party was intended to be 5, but I think 4 is doable.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I think the strongest party I ever did was three; a Paladin, a fighter/cleric, and a thief dualed to Mage.
    booinyoureyesQuartzJuliusBorisov
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564

You can make him a monk and even name him after our own resident yeti @rufus_hobart‌

though I think he finds that dwarven lady tasty-lookin'

Reminds me of a certain ogre from a certain expansion pack from a certain Neverwinter Nights...
    lolienkcwisebooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited September 2014
    Quartz said:

… That … Actually sounds amazing. An animal companion you throw in yourself for a Ranger. I dig it LOL.

@Quartz‌ I think I will make one, actually. Maybe not a Yeti (lol) but an animal of some sort for a ranger or druid.

I'll probably make it a monk and just change the sprite. A wolf is classic, but maybe try something different, like a polar bear.
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
    jackjackQuartzJuliusBorisov
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    DreadKhan said:

Quartz said:

DreadKhan said:

Haha nice!

I wonder if anyone is batty enough to run 6 threesome multis in IWDEE. Cuz that'd be bonkers.

Someone made essentially a power gamer's guide to Icewind Dale and they said the most powerful party was like 4 FMTs and 2 FMCs. Sounds like some serious stupidity because the game isn't THAT hard like come on but to each their own I guess.
    Some people REALLY like redundent thief skills and low level spells I guess?

Why have 7th level spells when you can have TONS of 1st, 2nd and 3rd level spells? Damn, I've been doing it wrong!!
    Seriously.

I consider myself able to power game when I want, and I went at IWD the first time with one FMT in the party, and she was the only Thief.

The concept of the character was to be my only thief. Then, I knew that I wanted an archer too, so she became a FT. Then I realized I wanted a backup magic user, so I added the third class.

She would have been fine as a FT also, but I liked the option of using a summoning wand on her when she wasn't raining arrows down on baddies.

tl;dr

Even one FMT is able to handle all the needed thieving in this game.
    QuartzJuliusBorisovDreadKhan
  • LlandonLlandon Member Posts: 6
    I loved playing IWD with a solo F/M/T. I found it to be a challenge, but with the right use of buff spells and invisibility it worked out great.
    MathsorcererQuartzJuliusBorisov
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

I was just thinking that a minotaur kensai would absolutely kick ass.

There are a handful of two-handed axes in the game, not counting this character's ultimate goal--to obtain the Axe of the Minotaur Lord. No spoilers--you'll have to find it yourself (presuming you haven't already done so at some point in the past).
    QuartzJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Although four characters allow you to cover all the bases (one fighter, mage, cleric, and thief type characters), with the obvious advantage that they will get more experience per battle, as there are less people to share the experience with, -

-... I still can't reduce my party - this game has so many good portraits that I just can't choose only 4 of them :)
    jackjackNonnahswriterkcwiseKlorox
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    bengoshi said:

Although four characters allow you to cover all the bases (one fighter, mage, cleric, and thief type characters), with the obvious advantage that they will get more experience per battle, as there are less people to share the experience with, -

-... I still can't reduce my party - this game has so many good portraits that I just can't choose only 4 of them :)

My Restartis is even worse in Icewind Dale than in Baldur's Gate. D:

Gods help you if you add any beautiful custom portraits on top of it!
    jackjackkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I liked the ones in game a fair bit, didnt add customs like I did for BG2. I also enjoy making characters to take advantage of the swag I'd find, rather than restart, because I liked the story. Back then I never added XP, yet saw nothing strange about having my new character hack up the endless Cold Wight hordes solo for hours.

I felt a bit bad about import cheesing to backstab the storekeeper on Burial Isle, but SO MUCH XP!

Now I'd just add XP I think. My high level Fighter to Thief was very tedius to build, but he looked sweet backstabbing with Blood Iron. Great character though with all those attacks using Blood Iron, rarely needed any healing, even vs serious enemies.
    NonnahswriterkcwiseJuliusBorisov