Skip to content

Need help! 1st time Icewind Dale player. Healer questions...

FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
Hello all - very excited to play this game through for the first time! I've played baldurs gate 1 & 2, and Icewind Dale 2, but never played the original! That said, need help from you Infinity Engine veterans. I've read up on the game and have a question about party composition. I'm looking to make a 5-man party (Don't like having to manage a full 6 characters) and here's what i have so far:

Human Inquisitor (1h sword / shield)
Half Orc Barbarian (2h sword)
???????
Human Bard (Longbow)
Gnome Thief Illusionist (Shortbow)

I'm looking to fill my middle spot with a healer, either a Fighter/Druid, Fighter/Cleric, or a pure class Druid Kit like Totemic or Avenger. I'd love a recommendation!

My main question: if I take a druid over a cleric, will i suffer any large disadvantages? I remember that in BG2 playing without a cleric is very tough due to level drain, no resurrection, etc. What do you think?

Thanks Icewind Dale veterans!
JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes

Comments

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I found pureclass Druid more difficult to properly use than pureclass Cleric, but maybe I'm just not the most strategic candle in the chandelier. I'd say both will work.
    Frogmanthe_spyderbooinyoureyes
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I would say druid, either a totemic or a vanilla. Druids in this game are gonna be cool.

Spike Growth/Stones, Alicorn Lance, Sunscorch, Smashing Wave, Whirlwind. You MUST see these spells in action!
    EnialusMeliamneFrogmanelminsterbooinyoureyes
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Cleric/Mage. More arcane is always useful and cleric is handy in any capacity. You will need healing.
    FrogmanT2av
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    I just did a play through, and with 2 clerics(1 pure, 1 fighter/cleric) and a fighter/Druid... I used their healing spells plenty... Then again I love divine casters
    Frogman
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014

I found pureclass Druid more difficult to properly use than pureclass Cleric, but maybe I'm just not the most strategic candle in the chandelier. I'd say both will work.

I'm not going to pretend like this is the most creative strategy (and yes it is probably considered to be cheesy).

1) Scout out ahead to determine where enemies are

2) Cast entangle on that area as many times as you like (In IWD it doesn't have the save vs spell at +3 penalty that it has in BG2/BGEE/BG2EE). If you are an Avenger you can also use web.

3) Use ranged characters to kill enemies or (if you have access to at least level 3 spells then cast spiked growth/spike stones.

3) Rinse and repeat.
    JuliusBorisovFrogmanmeaglothbooinyoureyes
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    IWD is extremely undead heavy. Parties without access to turn undead are going to struggle.
    Frogmanbooinyoureyes[Deleted User]
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm a big fan of druids, and will definitely run a totem druid in IWDEE. Druids are a lot better at low levels than in BG, and are at least as awesome at high levels. Which isn't to say cleric would be a bad choice either. Either way you'll be fine.
    Nimran
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Ranger/Cleric - the best of both worlds.
    booinyoureyes[Deleted User]
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    Nice suggestion! I was just considering wisdom of swapping out the pally for a fighter/ cleric dual, freeing me up to include cleric and druid in my 5man party. You all have really sold me on the value in each of them !
    JuliusBorisovThe_New_Romance
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    bengoshi said:

Well, the Devs have confirmed the ranger/cleric will be nerfed in IWD:EE, being able to use only those Druidic spells he should according to the rules of the game i.e. low-level Druidic spells.

Yes, Belgarath rightly thinks the Turn Undead ability is useful in IWD. There're many undead enemies in this game. But I still vote for a Druid. In this particular game one should try him just to be able to compare with BG and to find out how powerful and useful a druid can be. There're many ways of dealing with undead without clerics, though. If @derrick4372 is really scared of undead, a change of the Paladin class can be made, for e.g. to an undead hunter.

That's an excellent point, I think an Undead Hunter Paladin will be the star here, more-so than the Inquisitor in BG2.
    JuliusBorisovFrogman
    bengoshi said:

Well, the Devs have confirmed the ranger/cleric will be nerfed in IWD:EE, being able to use only those Druidic spells he should according to the rules of the game i.e. low-level Druidic spells.

Nerfed is definitely the wrong word to use in this case considering that is how it worked in IWD.
    FardragonJuliusBorisovJarrakul
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I think "fixed" is the word!
    elementArdul
    Lets not go down that road since its entirely off topic. Plus being the guy who made a poll specifically about the issue I know all too well where that road leads :D
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    elminster said:

Lets not go down that road since its entirely off topic. Plus being the guy who made a poll specifically about the issue I know all too well where that road leads :D

People don't like it when you take away their cheese. Of course, you just ruined their supper, and it just goes so well with that wine ;)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    bengoshi said:

Not a problem--I'll just edit the .2da and restore cleric/ranger (my wife's favorite multiclass combination) to how it *should* be, according to my own preferences. Simple.

RAM021
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416

Not a problem--I'll just edit the .2da and restore cleric/ranger (my wife's favorite multiclass combination) to how it *should* be, according to my own preferences. Simple.

Does that mean that the reverse could be done for BG2EE, and have a Cleric that doesn't have high level Druid spells just for having a level in Ranger?
    jackjack
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Yes. The .2da files for priest and ranger spells could be edited but this would change the spell progression tables for everyone. To fix your character's spells then rely on trusty EEKeeper.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    bengoshi said:

Not low-level in IWD...
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    bengoshi said:

But IIRC, rangers in IWD/HoW receive druid spells at an earlier level than in BG.

Does anyone know if that principle also applies to ranger/clerics in IWD:EE?
    edited September 2014
    Rangers in HoW start recieving spells at level 6. Potentially they can know as high as level 6 druid spells (though only as a really high level ranger).

A ranger/cleric dual class (or a cleric/ranger multi-class) would only get the druid spells that their ranger level allows for. In other words you'll still have a spell book but specific druid spells (like sunscorch) will be missing from it unless your ranger level is high enough to have that.
    Post edited by elminster on
    JuliusBorisov