Skip to content

[Not an Issue] Angry chicken

dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
edited September 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
It is undoubtedly the silliest glitch (which is a true glitch) that I have ever encountered or read of.

I returned to Farmer Brun's farm with a pretty leveled up party (7-8) after finishing Chap 3 and all the other "South of BG" sidequests except Durlag's. Intent was to finish up the Farmer Brun quest, which I had left not-quite-complete, for reputation management purposes.

While I was approaching Fmr. Brun, quite near the farmhouse, with all the farm animals around, I was ambushed by two successive clusters of anhkegs (3 per cluster! - never seen that before - must scale to party levels). Much fun and centipede slaughter was had by all.

In the midst of this mayhem, one of the chickens that was close by an emerging anhkeg changed from neutral to enemy (blue circle converted to red circle.) I guess we were just too noisy for her, or she didn't like getting splashed with ichor, or something.

Chicken's behavior didn't really change; it didn't attempt to attack the party or anything. HOWEVER...

From then on, every time that chicken came in line-of-sight of a party member, I got an auto-pause and the "enemy sighted" message. The first two times I kept looking all over for anhkeg feelers, before I realized what was going on.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Nah, thats not a glitch actually; the game is playing the player, messing with you.

Infinity Engine? The only infinite there is its willingness to play us all.

To think, you actually believed you rolled that one critical miss!
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited September 2014
    The problem will be resolved on the death of the chicken...

If you are vegan... I feel for you as you enter the moral nightmare that now awaits you.

Remember... We will be waiting for you (possibly eating bacon sarnies) on the other side...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I don't want to give any spoilers, but
    that chicken is the CHICKEN of DOOM, which is going to be the main antagonist in BG3
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    @dreamrider‌ did you do anything to annoy the chicken? e.g. dooming it or punching it. I'm sure other actions can achieve the same result, but e.g. pickpocketing it seems a bit of a stretch mid combat...

(note: might want to look at ticket 9392 if not the above)
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    As far as I know, all I did was shoot arrows, stones, color spray, magic missile, maybe some sleep, perhaps a command, at the 3 (then 3 more) anhkeg that were popping up all around the barnyard.

Definitely did not send Doom.

I'm not USUALLY in the habit trying to punch out young anhkeg gangsta's in the hood (...well, as long as Rasaad is not present), but I suppose someone might have had a fist equipped briefly during a weapons switch...but when anhkeg pop THAT close, I don't HIT them...I run 15 feet away and SHOOT them again. I'm using a shooter party, recall.

Maybe the Color Spray? ...And the chicken Saved vs Spell? (Is that even possible?) ...Or maybe didn't Save, but then woke up while we were busy with the other visitors?

OBTW, I went back near the farmhouse later, with the AI on. The chicken thundered out from the back yard to smite us...and Coran shot it (13 dam) before I could stop him. Very messy.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Try casting color spray on a non-hostile chicken. Does it become hostile when it wakes up?
    edited September 2014
    No (because it's hostile while unconscious). As is Farmer Brun on the top-right of my screenshot.

Marking this as not an issue.
    Thanks
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Speaking of odd chickens (it doesn't warrant a topic of its own). The bunch of chickens in BG2 where the Bejuril can be found managed to hit Korgan (with his -9 AC) on a roll of 19... That means it must have a THAC0 of 10.
    Incidentally, I LOVE Color Spray. Its both a useful spell, but a little bit challenging to use smartly (you must position to avoid hitting companions, and some neutrals.)

I think it would be GREAT if it just scaled a bit more, like MM and CromOrb, or had an Improved version. I know, I know; not DnD canon. Still, a fun, involving, and colorful spell to use. Also, requires cooperation with a companion or party (heh - funny thing about that - I've got one), because it is not a permanent solution.

(In regard to that, I love having Imoen cast Color Spray, then follow up with the Dagger of Venom, getting one hit on each of the Gnolls, Hobgoblins, or whatever, and moving on to the next guy while the Dagger does its work. I think it suits her pragmatically bloodthirsty little heart .)
    @Gate70‌
    Just odd curiosity...how many HD does that horse HAVE? Given that it was not knocked unconscious by the Color Spray? Did it just manage to save vs Spell?
    Or BGII chickens have single beak style to score criticals on a 19.

Looks like the spray missed the horse somehow but got Brun. It saved with a 20 on a 2nd attempt and fell at the third (10hp is the answer to your question). Would attach a screenshot but my uploads seem to be failing tonight.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    decado said:

Speaking of odd chickens (it doesn't warrant a topic of its own). The bunch of chickens in BG2 where the Bejuril can be found managed to hit Korgan (with his -9 AC) on a roll of 19... That means it must have a THAC0 of 10.

I don't know about BGII:EE, but in vanilla those chickens have indeed a THAC0 of 10 (base THAC0 is 11, but they have 18 STR !!!).
This discussion has been closed.