Skip to content

[Known, 9680] Neera won't stop wild surging. - Fix in Thread

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
I'm in ToB and I've had neera the whole run. She's been working fine, until now where all the suddenly all her spells are cast with complimentary wild surges. I would say maybe 1 in 6 spells is cast normally. I have no idea why this would be. I just brought the hearts to naylee, got them destroyed, and went to kill yaga-sura. I did use reckless dewomer to set some contingencies and stuff, I don't know if that's relevant. I've restarted the game, loaded other sves ect. imageimageimage
I can upload a save later.
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    edited September 2014
    @meagloth‌ has anyone got "The Brick" in a weapon slot, it causes surges even if not the equipped weapon (issue 7502).

If not, zip & attach a save for investigation.
    Thanks
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited September 2014
    Gate70 said:

@meagloth‌ has anyone got "The Brick" in a weapon slot, it causes surges even if not the equipped weapon (issue 7502).

If not, zip & attach a save for investigation.
    Thanks

@gate70 no. I don't know what that is.
    Also, this is not happening in SoA. I just checked.
    I can get a save up in a few hours.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited September 2014
    Not all of the casts in the images seem to be causing Wild Surges. Both Blur, Mirror Image (only the first casting), Chaos Shield* and the second casting of Skull Trap seem unaffected.
    meagloth said:

gate70 no. I don't know what that is.

It's a throwing hammer you can get in Neera's SoA quest.
    CrevsDaak said:

Not all of the casts in the images seem to be causing Wild Surges. Both Blur, Mirror Image (only the first casting), Chaos Shield* and the second casting of Skull Trap seem unaffected.

meagloth said:

gate70 no. I don't know what that is.

It's a throwing hammer you can get in Neera's SoA quest.
    yeah, its kinds hit and miss, but it still makes her pretty much unusable.
    Also, does neera have another SoA quest? I don't remember the hammer. I killed Lanneth, but that note about somebody coming to man always made me wonder.

also, i have the save:
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    What spells are in your Sequencer and Contingency?
    Dee said:

What spells are in your Sequencer and Contingency?

Honestly I don't remember the spell trigger. I set them three days ago. I checked the contingency button and it's says x3 horrid wilting, but other then that, I'm not sure. The spell sequencer is probably one magic missile and two acid arrows, and the spell trigger is probably something like greater malison or breach and remove magic.
    O_o
    I just tried foreign them to see what they were and they got wild surges to!
    I used Ctrl-R on Neera to clear her status effects, and she seemed to stop the wild surging. So maybe it's something that happened to her a while ago, or maybe (more likely) it has something to do with one or more of the spell triggers.
    Alright, after some martial and error the spell trigger is greater malison, breach, and lower resistance. The spell sequencer is indeed x2 acid arrow and a MM.
    The wild surging continues after I cleared all the contingencies and spell triggers.
    How did you cast those triggers? Did you use Reckless Dweomer? I'm seeing Wild Surge effects next to the sequencer effects on Neera's cre file.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Try casting another dweomer (and keep doing so until you get one that doesn't surge).

I'm fairly sure we had something about surged dweomers into contingencies doing this sort of behaviour but can't see anything.
    Dee said:

How did you cast those triggers? Did you use Reckless Dweomer? I'm seeing Wild Surge effects next to the sequencer effects on Neera's cre file.

Yes. I got them through dewomer. I think I said that in the OP.
    Ok, I tried to clear all the seqncers and such again, but this time I noticed that there's still a sequencer icon on her portrait even when all of them are gone, though there's no special ability. image
    Even after that the wild magic stuff still happens.
    edited September 2014
    @Gate70‌ what am I supposed to look for? I can cast all my dweomers s but nothing special happens. Do you mean set a trigger?
    Yeah; the Wild Surge effect from Reckless Dweomer is set to the same timing mode as the sequencers - i.e. "Instant/Permanent until death".

Drop the attached .gam file into your save to replace the one that's already there, and you won't have any more wild surge issues. There's not much we can do with this save to fix the underlying issue, though; when you use Reckless Dweomer in conjunction with spell trigger spells, it causes funkiness like this.
    meaglothCrevsDaakelminster
    Dee said:

Yeah; the Wild Surge effect from Reckless Dweomer is set to the same timing mode as the sequencers - i.e. "Instant/Permanent until death".

Drop the attached .gam file into your save to replace the one that's already there, and you won't have any more wild surge issues. There's not much we can do with this save to fix the underlying issue, though; when you use Reckless Dweomer in conjunction with spell trigger spells, it causes funkiness like this.

Awesome! That works great. thanks, Dee!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Dee is this going to get fixed or just left as the penalty for casting Sequencers through Dweomers?
    CrevsDaak said:

@Dee is this going to get fixed or just left as the penalty for casting Sequencers through Dweomers?

I actually like that idea. Wild mages are super OP, I wouldn't have anything against it. (Obviously fix the everything wild surge, but keep it on the sequencers.)
    CrevsDaak said:

It'll be fixed, but until we look at the code I can't predict how it will change. At a glance, the best solution I can think of is to make it so that Reckless Dweomer doesn't work with sequencers and spell triggers.
    elminsterGate70CrevsDaak
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Whenever you cast a spell with NRD, the next valid spell you cast - which is usually the one you cast WITH NRD - will have a Wild Surge. However, if the spell you cast has the Trigger/Contingency flag, it will not be a valid spell, and the effect will remain until you cast the next valid spell. NRD itself is also not a valid spell for Wild Surging, so if you use NRD repeatedly to cast various sequencers and contingencies, the Wild Surges will stack up.

So, what is the point of the Trigger/Contingency flag on spells? This looks like it was intentional behavior to me.

Just removing the Trigger/Contingency flag from them will fix the issue, the Wild Surge will affect whether the Sequencer/Contingency is cast at all, and be done.
    meagloth