Skip to content

Most Annoying IWD Enemy?

Comments

• dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249

For me, after the time I've played, I think it's those archers in the tower in Lower Dorn's Deep. Ugh... if you thought the yuan-ti archers were annoying...

Kelly and his archers definitely could've warranted a spot on this list too, however in this case I genuinely forgot them. Good call.

Also I would include Yuan-ti Mage with the Yuan-ti Priest, they don't have Static Charge, but they're equally annoying with Stoneskin, Melf's, Vitriolic Sphere and Dire Charm.
    JuliusBorisov
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Umber Hulks, as an enemy that appears in both games, tend to cause me a respectable amount of annoyance. They are easy to kill, but they will almost always get somebody confused first, so you have to keep everybody away from them and wait for ages before you can save the game.

To memory, the Drowned Dead + Wailing Virgin is also horrible, although it has been long enough since I have played HoW that I don't truly remember the horror well enough to vote on it. I think it is a pretty grueling part of the game, though, iirc.
    CalmarDauntJuliusBorisov
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    dustbubsy said:

Also I would include Yuan-ti Mage with the Yuan-ti Priest, they don't have Static Charge, but they're equally annoying with Stoneskin, Melf's, Vitriolic Sphere and Dire Charm.

They can also cast Feeblemind, I think. Basically an instant kill unless you have Dispel Magic.

JuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

Can I cheat and say Yxunomei?

She's the reason I got stuck on my longest playthrough... ;_;

My first playthrough I had double digit reloads. I was like 13. I also ran away and saved twice. And I had my entire party die twice. You could say it was the worst triple-double ever recorded.

She's bad enough by herself but she has a bunch of stupid archer henchmen that bother ALL my casters. Plus she's freaking horrifying for a 13yo kid.

I always thought my first experience with boobies would be a lot more pleasant.
    I gave up on my first party here in vanilla IWD, couldnt scratch here. :/ Also, my party kinda sucked. My 2nd party also collapsd iirc, but finally got past. So bloody brutal, having no meleers that could hit, and not knowing about the arrows. Just spammed her with spells iirc.
    JuliusBorisov
    DreadKhan said:

Can I cheat and say Yxunomei?

She's the reason I got stuck on my longest playthrough... ;_;

My first playthrough I had double digit reloads. I was like 13. I also ran away and saved twice. And I had my entire party die twice. You could say it was the worst triple-double ever recorded.

She's bad enough by herself but she has a bunch of stupid archer henchmen that bother ALL my casters. Plus she's freaking horrifying for a 13yo kid.

I always thought my first experience with boobies would be a lot more pleasant.
    I gave up on my first party here in vanilla IWD, couldnt scratch here. :/ Also, my party kinda sucked. My 2nd party also collapsd iirc, but finally got past. So bloody brutal, having no meleers that could hit, and not knowing about the arrows. Just spammed her with spells iirc.
    Yeah, I agree. The battle with Yxunomei is a huge difficulty spike. Icewind Dale's difficulty curve is amazing until you get to her. After you beat her, the next two chapters are incredibly easy.
    The_New_Romance

Based on the observations in this thread, I conclude that nearly all enemies were annoying. I attribute this to 2E's combat system and the prevalence of save-or-die/-suck effects. Further research will be needed to determine why subjects keep playing the game.

First of all, Icewind Dale didn't have a whole lot of enemies with save-or-die abilities. Yes, it did have some, but not a lot. Mebdinga (wailing virgin leader) and The Idol are pretty much the only enemies with such abilities.

Also, in my opinion, all these annoying enemies are part of what makes Icewind Dale fun. I'd rather have more enemies that are a huge pain in the butt than just more generic enemies that basically just walk up to you and hit you with melee attacks (of which there are also a lot in the game).
    JuliusBorisov
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Yxunomei by far, you need +2 weapons or better just to even damage her with weapons, with the level you are the time you get to to her, that can be extremely difficult ( despite the fact there are some +2 arrows in her area and a +2 throwing axe) but still the axe is hidden and what if you wasted those arrrows on something else?
    QuartzJuliusBorisov
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839

Based on the observations in this thread, I conclude that nearly all enemies were annoying. I attribute this to 2E's combat system and the prevalence of save-or-die/-suck effects. Further research will be needed to determine why subjects keep playing the game.

First of all, Icewind Dale didn't have a whole lot of enemies with save-or-die abilities. Yes, it did have some, but not a lot. Mebdinga (wailing virgin leader) and The Idol are pretty much the only enemies with such abilities.

Also, in my opinion, all these annoying enemies are part of what makes Icewind Dale fun. I'd rather have more enemies that are a huge pain in the butt than just more generic enemies that basically just walk up to you and hit you with melee attacks (of which there are also a lot in the game).
    My post was a little tongue-in-cheek. Maybe only funny when you're a scientist (wharever scientists call "funny" these days...).
    Quartzjackjack
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

My post was a little tongue-in-cheek. Maybe only funny when you're a scientist (wharever scientists call "funny" these days...).
    I'm a scientist. I didn't find it funny.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited September 2014
    Fardragon said:

That's why I wrote "maybe". And I guess we have another interesting observation that points toward the hypothesis of some scientists not being all that humorous with regard to their pastimes. ;) Oh, the possibilities!
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Fardragon said:

That's why I wrote "maybe". And I guess we have another interesting observation that points toward the hypothesis of some scientists not being all that humorous with regard to their pastimes. ;) Oh, the possibilities!
    I have an alternative hypothesis: There is no correlation between being a scientist and finding it funny. No one found it funny, irrespective of their level of scientific training.
    Iamdorf
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I voted blast skeletons but I take it back, definitely the green trolls in Dragon's Eye, specially when you are low with fire weapons/magic
    JuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

I have an alternative hypothesis: There is no correlation between being a scientist and finding it funny. No one found it funny, irrespective of their level of scientific training.
    I found it funny... but my background is Engineering side of metalurgy. Mmmm... metalurgy.
    elminsterjackjackNimranJuliusBorisov
  • MasterofOssusMasterofOssus Member Posts: 5
    The beetles are bad; the salamanders are awful (especially because their auras interfere with saving the game and they can blast your party even during forced dialogues and "cut-scenes"), but for me the most annoying enemies are the sentries. They can see shadowed thieves, can't be backstabbed, are highly resistant to most weapons and to magic, and hit pretty hard. When I solo the game (usually as a FMT or RC) and I get to these things they're just a wall that I can't get past without "cheating" and retreating to heal repeatedly. I still haven't found a respectable tactic for defeating them.

The beetles are bad; the salamanders are awful (especially because their auras interfere with saving the game and they can blast your party even during forced dialogues and "cut-scenes"), but for me the most annoying enemies are the sentries. They can see shadowed thieves, can't be backstabbed, are highly resistant to most weapons and to magic, and hit pretty hard. When I solo the game (usually as a FMT or RC) and I get to these things they're just a wall that I can't get past without "cheating" and retreating to heal repeatedly. I still haven't found a respectable tactic for defeating them.

If you automatically veto tactics such as healing, then of course you'll have trouble with things. Isn't healing what clerics do? If you heal without a healer, it just means less potions for you to use later on.

I guess you could simply go past them. They aren't mandatory to beat.
  • MasterofOssusMasterofOssus Member Posts: 5

If you automatically veto tactics such as healing, then of course you'll have trouble with things. Isn't healing what clerics do? If you heal without a healer, it just means less potions for you to use later on.

I guess you could simply go past them. They aren't mandatory to beat.

The ones just past Terikan were mandatory to advance into Wyrm's Tooth (the door doesn't open until you beat them). Also, they hit pretty hard and use missiles throughout Lower Dorn's, so I expect they'd be pretty hard to bypass.

With respect to using healing, I'm not opposed to it at all, but I am opposed to having to retreat, using a whole bunch of potions in another area, and then return to finish them off - that's a tactic that's prohibited by all of the "boss fights" because it's clearly cheap, and it's really the only reliable method I've found for beating the things while soloing without a cleric. They hit HARD, travel in pairs, and are immune to the big damage abilities and insta-kill capabilities of most characters.

Even playing in a party of three, four, or six, the only method I've figured out is to muscle them down, which is a pretty lousy tactic but it works. Soloing the things, though? That's tough...
    JuliusBorisov
    Stoneskin and Mirror Image really help. Oh, and I'm pretty sure all you need to open the door is the Wurm's Tooth key that you find in the forge. I know this because there have been some times when I also had trouble beating those guys so I just made a run for it. Actually, it might have been something they changed in HoW possibly.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    The final battle was really annoying. I'm sure many of you remember why.

Also, stupid blast skeletons. Always ruined my momentum when I'm chopping down all their buddies. Later on when the LotR films came out I always felt like Aragorn at Helm's Deep, or Theoden at Minas Tirith, yelling at my party to 'Bring it down! Bring it down! BRING IT DOWN!!!'
    JuliusBorisov
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The guardians at the entrance of Lower Dorn's Deep.
    I got through the trolls, exploding zombies, acid beetles, hundreds of yuan ti and salamanders and lizardmen, scores of yeti but I entered Dorn's Deep, my paladin and fighter get cut to ribbons in seconds by two of these while all the damage I do gets reduced by toomuch% and I ragequit for a month.
    jackjack
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Drugar The Tarnished Sentries, right?
    Drugar